Sign in to follow this  
ryguy

Why is it that even signed add-ons aren't allowed on servers?

For instance, sometimes I play with Lingor active. But 99% of servers don't allow that because it's "not accepted by the server". Even though it's signed, so you should know it's trusted, servers still don't accept it. Same with sound mods. People will say "If you don't like vanilla OA sounds, just use a mod, simple"... but if I want to play public then I can't, because those servers don't let me. It's always confused me.

The signing is not client side, the server needs the keys aswell. So if you got a signed addon, the serveradmin have to add the this key to the server too, to allow you to use this addon.

It obvious that a serveradmin cant add ALL keys of every signet addon to his server.

If you want to play on a server with lingor loaded, you must propably find a server that has lingor too, even if the map isn't on lingor.

That's why a lot of rather casual players simply don't like the hazzle and don't use addosn at all.

Even though it's signed, so you should know it's trusted, servers still don't accept it.

Signing an addon doesn´t make .rpt errors or other inconveniences that server ops have to worry about disappear.

I can sign a file that allows me to shoot nuclear rockets. Just because it's signed, doesn't mean you want it on your server.

if you as a server admin upload "every" signature, you will probably have a lot of addons that don't work togheter, connecting to you're server.

That is a good way to get an unstable server and with a unstable server, you're evening will be ruined.

I know that casual players get "hit" by these things, but I don't want me and my buddies have to wait or restart server all the time.

I like to provide my clan with servers that we know how work and work as stable as I can get them, every time we want to play. That makes it kind of hard for casual players to join us, but then again, we as a clan, have a great time almost everytime we play.

I see... hopefully arma 3 will come out with a better system of organization.

I see... hopefully arma 3 will come out with a better system of organization.

It probably won't change much as server asmins will still want to be in control of which addons are used on their servers. While there are still 'script kiddies' around, signing is inevitable and as nefarious scripts can be signed, server admins will want to prevent it being run on their servers.

I do hope however that they make it slightly easier to see which addons are allowed on each server - it is that which is confusing for a lot of new users.

Uploading a server key from a unknown person is always a high security risk. Thats the reason why i support the way to sign all addons on our servers with our own serverkey. Downloading a few additional kb of new addonkeys isnt really a problem if you have to download a few 100 MB of addons.

For all who want to know what signatures and mods are allowed on servers use this:

http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/135810

Under Allowed Signatures and Mods you will find all inforamtion you need.

@PvP, I'm pretty sure that's what I was thinking about. Some sort of database of known, trusted add-ons that is a pre-approved list. Server admins could then have the options of filtering more out that may interfere with game play. For instance, trusted maps would be allowed in, where-as lost key and ACE or whatever wouldn't (it would be up to the owner).