Sign in to follow this  
Derbysieger

Arma 2: OA Beta build 83500

I don't think that's it I just checked 1.59 and their response is about the same.

I agree, just re-tested it myself and my memory was off.

In that case please tell us the situation in which you saw the AI get confused so we can try to re-create it.

But really, if a static gunner is being engaged from behind, then his position has already been compromised. Can they acquire and keep a target in the normal way?

@CarlGustaffa

War in Takistan (WIT) : Operation Iron rains Co-40 (@) v1.36

I narrowed it down to beta 82901 and after, with beta 82604 and before I can use the crates with no problem but I still get the error messages.

Could you check if you get the problem changing weapons?

Just move away from the ammobox go back and try to take something.

With me it's unusable for 10-60 secs, sometimes more, which I suspect maybe related to how many players are at the ammobox.

this new beat is very good. one thing i noted was that adding ambient civilians to a simple mission (set on that new yorkshire map with 1 town creator module plus 2 squads of opfor AI vs 5 blufor units including player) really makes it slow down.

I made the mission in the previous beta and it ran great but after installing the new beta it ran very jerkily. removing ambient civilians saw performance go back to almost normal.

if it's a matter of choosing ambient civs or better soldier ai - i choose this new better soldier AI. battles rock.

I agree, just re-tested it myself and my memory was off.

In that case please tell us the situation in which you saw the AI get confused so we can try to re-create it.

But really, if a static gunner is being engaged from behind, then his position has already been compromised. Can they acquire and keep a target in the normal way?

The AI have decided to stop targeting the dead now.

Here are a couple of examples of AI static gunners being slow to react.

What to do is contained within the example.

But I'll explain here as well.

There is a static gunner next to an infantry unit, just kill the infantry unit.

Wait and see what the Static gunner, sometimes he turns very slowly and fires at you.

Sometimes it turns 90 degrees and stops. In that case you can fire around him or even walk very close to him before he will react.

Sometimes it happens a lot and at other times it hardley happens at all.

Heres a pic of how close you can get.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/staticj.jpg/

Just take out all four static gunners, they are very slow to react so you can easily reload between kills.

If they just reacted like infantry I feel that would be better for static gunners, I accept vehicles may be more of a problem.

They do seem to react to dead bodies that are in front of them.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5d3g4i

In the vid, you can just see him firing from the mg on his back...

nxKJ5aym4Ao

NOW That is just plain awesome! :)

Ok, I have managed to reproduce this using your mission now, so thanks. Did you notice that it only seemed to happen once he had run out of ammo in the pistol. Also, once he ran out of ammo in the pistol - he then starts firing from the machine gun again, which is still on his back!!

If you help out and kill all the OPFORS before he runs out of pistol ammo he seems to not get stuck.

In the vid, you can just see him firing from the mg on his back...

nxKJ5aym4Ao

Ok, tried it a few more times. Every time you kill off the enemy before the MG guy runs out of pistol ammo he does not get stuck. As soon as he is out of pistol ammo then he is stuck (and fires off whateve is left in the MG mag strapped to his back).

I cannot reproduce the problem - AFAIK. The MG guy fires with his pistol, reloads it once, and never completely runs out of ammo. I never saw him get "stuck" (??) and never saw the MG on his back fire. What are the symptoms of him getting "stuck"? I had everyone in my squad but the MG guy hold fire, but the other British squad kills all the opfor - why have them in the test mission at all?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong or not looking for the right symptom?

The modeling of that pistol is absolutely perfect. It looks like I could reach out and touch it. It's as good as being there.

@ Jedra, do you have any mods on that makes such behaviour?

The only thing I noticed so far are the AI will burst with it's rifle then change to pistol then change back to rifle to reload and continue to shoot with rifle.

Haven't tested the static gunner, will test it out later once I get back.

@TonyGrunt: No problems accessing (global) crate and vehicle multiple times. Local (to player) crates I didn't revisit while in the base (Domino mission), but had no problems in the field, using a dedi server setup.

But I did notice a few patches back, that getting vehicle actions after exiting a vehicle took like a minute or so. Like the vehicle wasn't revealed to me or something. Think I used the PMC SUV and some M113 at the time.

---

As for the pistol bug, I've encountered that problem on myself a few times. Like we get action updates before the switch animation is completed, and when we add something else that switches automatically, the action isn't updated. So I get the action Select M9 while I'm actually holding it, and shooting it fires my rifle on my back. Have to perform some of the actions again before they are back in sync.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Here are a couple of examples of AI static gunners being slow to react.

What to do is contained within the example.

This is most likely because skill matters now. You can try increasing their skill and check how they behave.

@ Jedra, do you have any mods on that makes such behaviour?

The only thing I noticed so far are the AI will burst with it's rifle then change to pistol then change back to rifle to reload and continue to shoot with rifle.

Haven't tested the static gunner, will test it out later once I get back.

No, just Vanilla CO and the beta. I did also try it with ASR-AI on - with this mod he fires the MG for a bit longer in the first instance, but then still switches to pistol - if there are any rounds left in the MG he still fires them off his back. He does this every time he runs out of pistol ammo (he reloads it about 3 times I think).

I must have run it 10 or more times and it happened every time I let him run out of ammo.

No, just Vanilla CO and the beta. I did also try it with ASR-AI on - with this mod he fires the MG for a bit longer in the first instance, but then still switches to pistol - if there are any rounds left in the MG he still fires them off his back. He does this every time he runs out of pistol ammo (he reloads it about 3 times I think).

I must have run it 10 or more times and it happened every time I let him run out of ammo.

There's a small config bug in the configs for the Glock and for the Colt (ranges not defined) so that AI uses pistols instead of rifles at longer ranges. Try to give him an M9 for instance and repeat the test.

Since I made myself a little bugfix config, I never ran into this bug again. Thanx to .kju for pointing that one out!

all these AI adjustments are they client side or server side ? ie will ppl notice changes if the server does not have the beta ?

all these AI adjustments are they client side or server side ? ie will ppl notice changes if the server does not have the beta ?
AI generally runs on the server, so probably not.

AI generally runs on the server, so probably not.

Rgr.... will look at adding the beta's to the server... thanks

There's a small config bug in the configs for the Glock and for the Colt (ranges not defined) so that AI uses pistols instead of rifles at longer ranges. Try to give him an M9 for instance and repeat the test.

Since I made myself a little bugfix config, I never ran into this bug again. Thanx to .kju for pointing that one out!

That sounds good - I'll try that later when I have got the kids to nursery. If this is the case then should it not be documented in Bug #3168 - if it works I'll add it as a comment to that bug.

That sounds good - I'll try that later when I have got the kids to nursery. If this is the case then should it not be documented in Bug #3168 - if it works I'll add it as a comment to that bug.

I don't think it's related. But a bug is already reported at CIT. See http://dev-heaven.net/issues/12143. The problem it didn't get fixed yet maybe because it's kind of a "content fix". Those get lower priority, obviously. Kju even provided the fix on the CIT, just have a look at the ticket.

I don't think it's related. But a bug is already reported at CIT. See http://dev-heaven.net/issues/12143. The problem it didn't get fixed yet maybe because it's kind of a "content fix". Those get lower priority, obviously. Kju even provided the fix on the CIT, just have a look at the ticket.

Ah, Ok, so it is two bugs. First that he gets the pistol out too soon (because he thinks it is better firing at range) and then the second bug kicks in that he gets stuck...

Fixed my problem with accessing ammoboxes.

I still had the latest arma2 beta inside the arma2 directory and for whatever reason it interfered with the game, even if I didn't load it.

Deleted the directory and now it works.

I'm getting some legendary reproducible CTDs with this beta.

Will upload 3 complete dumps to Dwarden shortly.

Post them here in spoiler tags so I can compare to one I had.

I had a problem with target menu. A.I do not obey the command to change the target.

3 A.I friendly and 3 A.I enemy. The three stay in only one target or two in one target.

target menu test: http://tiny.cc/p762z

comand AI for lasers ON.

Seems like the AIs now love to throw nades, got blown a few times by friendly nades.