Sign in to follow this  
Montanaro

22 Dead from Seal Team Six in Deadliest Day in Afghanistan

To me its very strange that news about a secret unit like DEVGRU got to media so quickly. Especially on such horrendous occasion? And "kudos" to a commander that led this big fat cow (aka chinook) directly to town under taliban command. According to news reports from local pop. it even extracted troops from a rooftop of a house and soon got hit after that with a RPG.

RIP.

Edited by IceBreakr

found this on the bbc regarding the seal members :

US sources say the special forces were from the Navy Seal unit which killed Osama Bin Laden, but are "unlikely" to be the same personnel.

Deep respect to the deads and theit families...but...i can't help myself....it is a war, it is usual to have casualties in a war. Regardless of the side, every killed is a son, a husband, a father of someone.

So, while sending your respect to those 22 deads, don't forget those thousands deads no newspaper ever mention.

Every killed human in a war is a killed human too much.

To me its very strange that news about a secret unit like DEVGRU got to media so quickly. Especially on such horrendous occasion? And "kudos" to a commander that led this big fat cow (aka chinook) directly to town under taliban command. According to news reports from local pop. it even extracted troops from a rooftop of a house and soon got hit after that with a RPG.

RIP.

I believe the Afghan officials leaked it first, we don't get to make them clear the same hurdles. Agreed, this is too many eggs in one basket, SEALs should have changed procedures after the last shoot down.

The weird thing is, the second deadliest day in Afghanistan was when another Chinook was shot down with a SEAL team in it too.

To me its very strange that news about a secret unit like DEVGRU got to media so quickly. Especially on such horrendous occasion?

When the event is on the scale of this one (with 30 US and 7 Afghan personnel dying) it's incredibly hard to not have the media pick it up quickly. As has been said, the Afghan government announced it very early anyway with NATO confirming the numbers later in the day.

I believe the Afghan officials leaked it first, we don't get to make them clear the same hurdles.

If Afghan officials knew it was spec ops, you can bet the Taliban did too ...

I cant believe, out of ALL the military junkies in this forum, that not many of you smell something wrong with this?

A chinook full of 22 seals, flying low to the ground, into battle? Who in their right mind would attempt to seriously do this in even an arma2 mission?

wake the fuck up :j:

I cant believe, out of ALL the military junkies in this forum, that not many of you smell something wrong with this?

Playing monday morning quarterback I see...

Nothing like a "military video game junky" knowing better than those who run the team who killed Usama Bin Laden...

Myke;1998241']Deep respect to the deads and theit families...but...i can't help myself....it is a war' date=' it is usual to have casualties in a war. Regardless of the side, every killed is a son, a husband, a father of someone.

[/quote']

Largest loss of life in Afghanistan 10 years into the war. Not exactly "usual"

A chinook full of 22 seals, flying low to the ground, into battle? Who in their right mind would attempt to seriously do this in even an arma2 mission?

wake the fuck up :j:

It's not like it hasn't happened before, I'm more than a junkie, I'm a vet. Things getting fucked up and done wrong is no surprise at all. Shit happens.

They were hit during their exfil, word I'm hearing through the grape vine of dudes who are near that area talking to the military buddies back home, talking in forums say that it was an Iranian SA-7 that hit the bird, which was likely a SOAR MH-47 variant.

They had hit their target already, and where on their way out. I don't buy the notion that none of those guys were involved in the Bin Laden raid for a second. Not because I think it's a conspiracy, but it's just due to the classified nature of their work.

Playing monday morning quarterback I see...

Nothing like a "military video game junky" knowing better than those who run the team who killed Usama Bin Laden...

Largest loss of life in Afghanistan 10 years into the war. Not exactly "usual"

Well apparently I do.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

It's not like it hasn't happened before, I'm more than a junkie, I'm a vet. Things getting fucked up and done wrong is no surprise at all. Shit happens.

Put your emotions aside and see into this bullshit. A chinook helicopter... CHINOOK. WITH 22 navy seals!

and how often do they fly Ch47's on missions?

I'm sure a hell of a lot.

To say "oh they fucked up big time" or to insinuate it was some sort of conspiracy is naive.

As you said, shit happens. The guys they hit happened to have good AA and were trained on how to use it. Hell maybe someone in the Afghan govt even tipped them off. Doesn't mean the guys who put the mission together were less experienced than some video game addicts.

and how often do they fly Ch47's on missions?

I'm sure a hell of a lot.

To say "oh they fucked up big time" or to insinuate it was some sort of conspiracy is naive.

As you said, shit happens. The guys they hit happened to have good AA and were trained on how to use it. Hell maybe someone in the Afghan govt even tipped them off. Doesn't mean the guys who put the mission together were less experienced than some video game addicts.

When people make excuses for stupidity it sickens me, especially when 22 navy seals died. Chinooks do not transport 22 seals into a dangerous area like this unless the orders originated from an IDIOT.

Mistakes like this are inexcusable.

Tacticalnugget, I'll keep it short..

Distance

Deployment

Suitability

Weather

Target

IFR (Refuel)

Payload

Weapons

Consumption

Preference

Planning

Roof

Tight/Open Area's

Ropes

Opposition

These are just a few words to sum up why a MH47 could've been chosen against... lets say a MH6. I'll let you decide what the "best choice of action" should've been.

S41

When people make excuses for stupidity it sickens me, especially when 22 navy seals died. Chinooks do not transport 22 seals into a dangerous area like this unless the orders originated from an IDIOT.

Mistakes like this are inexcusable.

I took this from another forum on the incident

"A reminder that the enemy only has to be "right" on one of thousands of opportunities to get a "win". Our guys have to be right all the time or they are either dead or get blamed for something negative."

But, if you want to sit behind your computer and insist your time playing ARMA and Bad Company 2 makes you more qualified than West Point Graduates and the like who have been operating in 2 war zones for the good part of 10 years. So be it.

Don't expect a pat on the back

The last time we lost 16 Seals, in a Chinook. To an RPG. SNAFU.

When things like this happen and it doesn't smell right, I often think that bait was planted to entrap the special forces.

It has happened before in Iraq - they were given intel by someone and went to raid a house only to find it was wired with explosives and most of the Delta Operators involved died in the explosion. I can't remember the exact details but it was about a year after the end of the Iraq invasion. They showed the surviving Delta in the street looking a bit dazed and uncomfortable and trying to secure the area with an MH6 circling overhead. The press were there before the backup which tells you something doesn't it?

It was obviously a trap and a setup. Maybe this thing was too. You pass on some intel, let them take the bait and then have your men waiting along the routes to the target with stockpiles of Iranian supplied SAMS.

Maybe this was a FU from the Pakistani ISI for making them look bad?

Edited by PELHAM

Lets hope the mission was worth it.
The whole campaign is not worth it. In 2014 Karsai will be assasinated and the Taliban will be back ruling the country according to the Sharia. It happened 150, 100, 50 years ago and it will be that way in the future. The whole War in this land just shows how futile this kind of war is and that all that died died for nothing at all.... same as in Vietnam.

A war of this kind against a culture is as inbelievable stupid action and im realy sad about every single soldier that is wounded or killed there...

...for nothing!!!

In my opinion every war that is not direct homeland defense on own soil is in no way justifiable.

Edited by Beagle

I understand what you mean. And I hate how the US always "helps" other countries in their wars. I cant imagine myself dying for ANOTHER country if I was in the US military. And this war is ridiculous. We kick them out then leave the country. Guess what, theyre gonna come back.

It was obviously a trap and a setup. Maybe this thing was too. You pass on some intel, let them take the bait and then have your men waiting along the routes to the target with stockpiles of Iranian supplied SAMS.

Um, "obviously?"

I'm sure that by this point, tens of thousands of RPGs have been fired at very large, slow-moving Chinooks.