Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

Add FXAA support to OA and Arma3- Many AA bugs fixed

Here is a portion of the image, 2x enlarged for your convenience.

First the standard in-game 4x FSAA version:

fsaa.jpg

Now the same part with FSAA:

smaa.jpg

Note the smoother edges in the SMAA screenshot, and this is (according to metalcraze) with less of a performance impact than FSAA.

SMAA performs way better than FXAA imho. Maybe it´s a little bit OT Gamewise, but i have made some comparsion Screenshots too in GTA4, where PP-AA is the only Way to kill Edges beside DS.

NO SMAA

gtaiv2011-12-0618-15-nszwz.jpg

Injected SMAA (Preset Ultra 4, best Quality, nearly none FPS lost)

gtaiv2011-12-0618-15-e7bv5.jpg

Not bad, isn´t it? :)

Edited by Humvee28
New Pics uploaded

Great to see there is an SMAA Injector now! Been waiting to try this for since I heard about it. I hope it is as effective as FXAA with things like white alpha outlines around models and the buggy white speckles on the OA foliage.

I'm sure BIS will add it in when they get a chance.

SMAA: Awesome

Hi, that looks amazing. This stuff is generally over my paygrade but how did you get this to take effect? I placed the 3 files in my Beta folder (still using 1.59) and the game starts to load then just stops and goes to desktop without error.

Would love to try :)

EDIT: Ahh, Nm -needed to be in root Arma 2.

Edited by froggyluv

I´ve made a little mistake. There was an FXAA File left in my Game Folder which i have overseen.

I have uploaded new Pics, and now the Difference is awesome! Please make SMAA possible for ArmA too. The Quality / Performance Ratio is outstanding. :)

I've tried the SMAA injector, i think this new antialias algo is absolutely brilliant, the quality is very good and it's less hardware demanding than standard antialias, i play at 1920x1200 with high details with a GTX 570 and now with this one i can always keep about 60 fps in chernarus forest (with the standard antialias in some scenes the framerate drops to 30-45 fps), the only problem i found is a sort of characters corruption in game menus probably because the algo tries to apply smoothing to them too (look at the word "Restart" and "Ace settings" in the two screenshot)

SMAA

http://img173.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=308819569_arma2oa2011_12_0716_41_07_02_122_162lo.jpg

No antialias

http://img209.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=308822521_arma2oa2011_12_0716_41_11_80_122_537lo.jpg

Edited by h8er

Is this SMAA Injector the same like those FXAA stuff ?

Just some folders and files to copy ?

Will it work on ATI too ?

And what Catalyst is at least needed to get it working ?

yes, it works exactly the same and yes it works on both ATI and NVIDIA

any driver (or anything not years old)

Little Hint :

Seems like that SMAA and Blastcore doesn´t work very well together (I´ve got overall morphing and muddy Textures).

If you use ArmA with Mods and run into the same Problem, then this could be a Solution. :)

unless mod use some injector it should not ... usually overlays are problem

It´s the only Mod which causes such visual Problems for me..hm..

I have played around with SMAA awhile now, and i´ve discovered another Problem (tested with 1.60 RC on Utes in Editor, no Mods) :

When i use a Soldier with a scoped Weapon, and switch a few times the Sight between Scope and normal View, the Texture-LODs are getting muddy. Beside that i have noted a wierd Entry in the VRAM lines of the OAConfig when using ít.

This was the correct Config Entry before i applied SMAA into Game-Directory:

localVRAM=1059512320;
nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

And this after applying it :

localVRAM=378394624;
nonlocalVRAM=378394624;

seems like that SMAA is screwing up something. :confused:

Can confirm this. Observated the same behaviour with the FXAA injector. Wasnt sure if has something to do with the injector, something on my system or with the beta of OA.

Low resolution textures when going into scope (not always, depends on distance to object).

FXAA hasn´t to be activated anymore via Injector. It is aviable via OAConfig since a few Betas ago. ;)

Seems like that SMAA has to be implemented properly in the Engine first to get a good Result. I hope this will be the Case in the Future. :)

Yeah hopefully before 1.60 is out BIS will ditch FXAA in a favour of SMAA

Hopefully not before, as I'd like to see 1.60 soon.

There was a conflict with EVGA Precision?

1.1 was causing games to crash with Afterburner or Precision enabled (Steam overlay as well apparently).

Edited by BangTail

Well, it's been mentioned on the main site and Guru3d etc. I guess it doesn't affect everyone the same way but I couldn't launch anything with 1.1 while Precision was active, it would just crash any given game a couple of seconds after I clicked the icon.

At any rate, it was more to say that 1.2 was available :)

FXAA Injector tool:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=355472

Edited by BangTail