Sign in to follow this  
noubernou

Ability to customize the physical characteristics of your player.

While something like this would probably be ripe for abuse and herp-derpiness, I think it would lend a lot to the game in multiplayer to be able to customize how your character is physically built, like your weight, height, width of shoulders, hips, facial features, skin-tone, hair, etc.

I suggest this because it would definitely help when you play with a regular group of people to begin to recognize people based on their physical appearance. This would hopefully reduce the need to use "name tag" scripts in multiplayer missions that fill the screen with the names of players.

Also seeing AI have different physical characteristics would be nice as well.

Essentially what I am asking for at least is the setBMI and setHeight (I think thats the function name) from VBS2 (with out the weapons scaling issue, and obviously some limits to the values... :p).

So basically I could look like this

fat_drake___un2_by_desinger105malak-d36ey89.jpg

:D

I think that this kind of a feature could be very good, and help the player become more recognizable. In game its kind of hard to tell who is who without names over their heads. So this could fix that problem for sure.

Its not an RPG its supposed to be a military simulator at least thats what were to think.

I think weapon and gear loadout is more important.

Its a good idea, but side effects as stretchier textures and clipping comes to mind.

And things like

. xD

Maybe have strict limits to what can be done. I know for sure that the US military has weight restrictions when it comes to joining.

Allow players to customize, but not things that would be blown out of porportion, like bright pink hair or a really skinny/fat/tall/short soldier.

When it comes to civilians, let the player add a little more customization, but still have limits to how far they can go.

Edited by Nicholas

It couldn't be any worse than what people do with their voices.

Its not an RPG its supposed to be a military simulator at least thats what were to think.

I think weapon and gear loadout is more important.

I know its not an RPG, but recognizing things based on their appearance is important in any simulation. In fact, because it is a simulator I think this feature is very important.

Faceless yes, but they don't all physically appear the exact same, even under their battle dress.

Its not an RPG

Why can't it be? In one of the interviews Mr Buchta said they are making the ArmA 3 campaign sort-of quest-based. Certainly sounds RPGish to me.

I think it would fit in a lot more with customisable gear if they allowed you to add tags onto it, logo's or whatever. Being so would be able to add tags for names or position in the patrol if possible then it would be easier to identify people. But I agree, physical characteristics is a really good idea and would stand out; it's just I don't think BIS is ready for that step and will include it in A3, if they did then excellent..

they are?

Wearing the same uniform as everyone else and also tactical glasses doesn't make one too distinguishable.

Why can't it be? In one of the interviews Mr Buchta said they are making the ArmA 3 campaign sort-of quest-based. Certainly sounds RPGish to me.

I'd rather have as less "RPG" stuff in a tactical shooter as possible.

I'd rather see BIS bringing back tank cockpits they've lost somewhere on their way to ArmA than wasting time modelling haircuts and photoshopping tan textures.

IRL soldiers are pretty faceless

Soldiers are faceless? That's a low blow, very low. They put their lives on the line for their country, and you call them faceless?

Why not add RPG elements? They'll have all the same stuff as in previous iterations of ArmA, yet add stuff for other players. Nothing wrong with that. It will still have the same tactical shooter elements.

Edited by Nicholas

they are?

Yes j-war-blog-1.jpg

Beeing a soldier means to leave all your fancy individualims at home.

Uniformity is usually required, it shall be hard to distinguish them.

Soldiers are faceless? That's a low blow, very low. They put their lives on the line for their country, and you call them faceless?

You perfectly know what I've meant. No need to dramatize.

And you distinguish a friend or foe by the uniforms, not by face or difference in height which you won't be able to notice from 10m already.

Edited by metalcraze

Im pretty sure people in the military can recognize faces and or other distinguishing characteristics, i know what you mean, but still.

in ROTC we wore uniforms all the time and i could always tell who was who.

I thought he meant you literally cant see much of their face cause of glasses, helmets, mics, etc. :p

I thought he meant you literally cant see much of their face cause of glasses, helmets, mics, etc. :p

maybe, but pretty sure you could still tell.

i wouldnt mind being able to stick a bunch of shit on my vest like the SF guys do, like patches, holsters, etc

IRL the US Army soldiers are pretty unigue in uniform, just look at pictures, different vest setups, different pouch setups, patches/netting, kneepads for some, nades/AK mags in case of a jam in the M4 or M16A4 they're carrying and have to grab an AK off some Durka etc.

^you dont grab an AK off the talibs unless you want to die :p

i havent seen too many (if any) army SF/seals/AF dudes with AKs, the tier 1 guys like Delta and DEVGRU, SAD, and AF 24th STS are a different story though

That's differentiating unconventional/SF guys from the conventional regulars. They kit out with anything. There's such a variety in SF. But then again you can differentiate regulars by rank, position labels and such... even simple tags on the arm or different coloured cord wrapped around it. I like the idea of different helmets, colours and uniform:- should be the same for differentiating the MG guys, AT, and Riflemen etc not just by their weaponary but their kit, they'd kit out to the individual role. Like a breacher in a CT team compared with an assaulter, flash man and sniper.

some of the pictures ive seen of a3s customization bother me...like the bandolier shirt/vest.

no one in the us would ever wear that, US troops arent allowed to even allowed to take a piss outside the wire unless theyre in full combat gear

Modders will get their head around that one though.... can't wait for the ninja suits.