Sign in to follow this  
PELHAM

TUNNELS? (Or at least some underground places)

A sewer system would make more sense... But yes I would like to see something like tunnels...

Of course tunnels would be fun for MP maps and I think I've seen them (trenches) in the upcoming PR mod, but for anything involving AI, I see major issues.

Tunnels and trenches are two different questions : trenches are already possible but depend on terrain grid size : it was possible since OFP (someone made a test island to show this), but it isn't exactly performance friendly.

Tunnels are closely related to the engine, and the way the AI is using geometry with or without predefined pathways (such as bridges or archways for example).

Someone made this in the editor, it's tunnels on Namalsk - seems to work well. The AI do seem a little confused and static tho - maybe they need the random patrol script?.

The tunnel sections would have to be made like buildings with pathways and positions coded into them. I am far from being an expert on the feasibility of it all.

Edited by PELHAM

Well, the system on Namalsk is basically one giant-mother of a pit with the complex put on top of it, probably in several pieces. It's one workaround, but it's kind of a sucky one, especially for the terrain maker, who was to create pieces that fit the specific piece of land he has available, and then place it in the pit so that it seems semi-natural.

I would kill to be able to build-in a complete sewer system in my cities. That even opens up other things, like the tunnels under the DMZ, tunnels dug under the mexican border by drug smugglers, and the chance to recreate some Resident Evil areas... ;)

@CyOp: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/quotes?qt0324875

No not currently but it could as VBS2 has such features for underground bunkers etc

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c103/mro204/db392057.jpg

This is on my top 3 things that I would like to see implemented in ARMA 3, in fact I would rank this ahead of animation system changes in importance (although a decent animation system would still be very nice). However I think that any use of this system for detailing underground spaces would be secondary to its use in making working fighting positions and trenches.

Fighting positions and trenches are sorely missed in ARMA and are a staple of modern infantry combat. They provide infantry effective protection against vehicles, artillery and air attack as well as unparalleled concealment. They would go a long way in balancing some of the unrealistic advantages vehicles and other assets have in the game over infantry.

As this VBS system suggests the ability to create fighting positions and trenches in the editor would also afford mission makers much greater tactical creativity and freedom when designing missions.

In short it is a shame that a simulation oriented game as detailed as the ARMA franchise has overlooked such a fundamental and important part of modern warfare.

Edited by Foxhound
Please do not quote images! Remove the img tags when quoting a post which contains a picture.

^ yes i would love to be able to dig trenches, not just that little dirt ring.

I thought the trench war from WWI are already outdated too much... but well, if it's still effective and use wisely in preferable environment, it still could cripple the hostile's assault.

Just wish to see if the underground warfare could becomes an important tactics as well.

What grid size is Arma 3 using for the main island? This will be a main factor... Would be nice to have more detailed terrain features.

the landmass of Lemnos is "guestimated" at around 390km2, might be closer to 400km2.

EDIT: Note this is based on the clues devs have given and not based on the real word size of the island which I believe is a bit larger. For the game BIS had scaled it down some.

Hi, i'll preffer trenches to tunnels, but damn i would love to have sewer systems on the big citys and in factorys or between a city or large village and a factory; will increase alot the game's gameplay options. Let's C ya

We are going to be a guerrilla fighter for some parts of the campaign, so launching an attack from some underground locations would be sweet.

This would be useless, in my opinion, if the AI wouldn´t be able to access it. Right now they don´t even know how to properly deal with buildings! How would they cope with underground sewers, with complex ladder and staircase system, and very narrow passageways? With the AI as it is right now, they simply won´t.

And since I seem to recall a dev stating that the AI wouldn´t get major improvements, I doubt that something like this´ll be implemented.

Not that it wouldn´t be nice, though. If it´d work.

Hi, i'll preffer trenches to tunnels, but damn i would love to have sewer systems on the big citys and in factorys or between a city or large village and a factory; will increase alot the game's gameplay options. Let's C ya

As long as they simulate Weils disease and hepatitis for those who do go crawling down a sewer, and maybe increase the probability of the enemy smelling the stinking soldiers who come out of them.

Hi, i neither can't imagine the AI walking by any underground digged structure without get stunk in 0'5 and refusing to take orders; but for the players could be a very usefull thing to have. Let's C ya

This would be useless, in my opinion, if the AI wouldn´t be able to access it. Right now they don´t even know how to properly deal with buildings! How would they cope with underground sewers, with complex ladder and staircase system, and very narrow passageways? With the AI as it is right now, they simply won´t.

And since I seem to recall a dev stating that the AI wouldn´t get major improvements, I doubt that something like this´ll be implemented.

Not that it wouldn´t be nice, though. If it´d work.

Screw the AI, having the ability for terrain makers to do this is top thing on my list for A3.

It doesn't matter if AI can't use it, players can, and that's all that counts.

• Like 1