Sign in to follow this  
jblackrupert

BBC: Afghanistan: The Battle for Helmand - In HD

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0129ck7/Afghanistan_The_Battle_for_Helmand/

Mark Urban tells the inside story of Britain's fight for Helmand, told with unique access to the generals and frontline troops who were there.

Broadcast on

BBC Two, 11:20PM Thu, 30 Jun 2011

There's a torrent floating around if you missed it or the stream in unavailable.

Edit: Just finished watching it.

More people talking about the missions in Afghanistan then actual close up footage of battle like the "Our War" series but it's much clearer footage then OW.

There is another episode coming next week about someone who moved there.

Another show from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0124znf/Afghanistan_War_without_End/

Edited by jblackrupert

"not avalaible in your area" why do they do that seriously... :'(

The BBC is a public service in the UK. It is funded by the people through a TV licence payment so unless you live in the UK, you can't use the service.

Fair enough, got a torrent anyway. :j:

watched it the other night

was amazed that on one op last year(if i remember correct) they used more helicopters in one go then they had available in 05-06

even then some of them where american

what was it about sending more troops or vehicles to helmand that made the british govt not send them over?

i am now really starting to get annoyed.

all this "not available in your country" sht on youtube and now even on BBC... :(

good old germany :(

what was it about sending more troops or vehicles to helmand that made the british govt not send them over?

They had already been deployed to Iraq.

Edited by Baff1

They had already been deployed to Iraq.

but surely you could have spared a few helis from basra?

i dont want to come off as thick lol, but i really dont see why you had so few in helmand

but surely you could have spared a few helis from basra?

i dont want to come off as thick lol, but i really dont see why you had so few in helmand

A lot of the helicopters we had in Iraq needed to have uprated engines before we sent them to Afghanistan. Helmand is several hundred feet above sea level.

But no, we probably couldn't spare that many from our operational commitments in Iraq. Through 2005 there was a lot of press criticism of why we were transporting blokes by road instead of by helicopter when the main threat was IEDs in Iraq.

Then we lost a Lynx over Basra in May '06, killing 5 service personal including a female Flight Lieutenant and the most senior Officer to die in the Iraq conflict, and in an effort to secure the crash site our ground forces faced a rather massive gun battle.

The press largely shut up about helicopters in Iraq afterwards, but it didn't change the fact that they were needed there.

Fact is, our helicopter fleet wasn't big enough to support such a high tempo of operations in two theatres; and Whitehall had massively miscalculated the UK's strategy for Helmand during the first 2006 deployment in a way that left men exposed and vulnerable.

you didnt just down- and reuploaded the video, so that i can watch it without problems?

Thanks a lot! appreciate it!

No problems, enjoy, think my video folder is around 260gb now so you/any pm me if your looking for something.

Kind Regards Jeza

Theres 2 films on Marines. Ones called the Battle for Marjah (I donteven know if this was released yet) and Hell and Back Again (not yet released). Both look great.

This one is on Marjah.

This is Hell and Back Again.

Hell had a real nice trailer on youtube but for some reason it got taken.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Also Im sure most of you are familiar with Ross Kemp. I only saw the first episode but its fantastic!

d/l now thanks jeza

Part 2 is on BBC in 5 mins, thanks for this thread, it reminded me to stop spamming and turn on the TV!

Part 2 is on BBC in 5 mins, thanks for this thread, it reminded me to stop spamming and turn on the TV!

Whats a TV? ;)