Sign in to follow this  
Uziyahu--IDF

Various Graphical Improvements

Now that we have "heat shimmer" / "thermal distortion of images" or whatever it is called, it would be nice if this were added to the airspace just outside a vehicle's exhaust port.

I would also like to see it added over asphalt and tarmac on the desert maps.

And at long ranges I would like to see it distort a sniper's target on hot maps.

In another area, it would be nice if a reflective quality appeared on roads and tarmac on which it had been raining for a while.

I saw it in the trailer when the tank's main-gun fired.

Oh, that was ingame?

Can't wait for the ultra photorealism and the cheesy characters.

Yeah I wouldn't be so fast to assume any of the effects from the trailer are in game yet.

Sad, because "heat shimmer" was even in Joint Operations: Escalation. It's old news, like ragdolls.

Just because it's in some older game doesn't make it realistic.

When a tank fires you don't see any magical distortion happening IRL like in that trailer.

Do you think we don't have fancy shaders in ArmA because devs are too lazy/don't know how to do that?

I wouldn't see a problem with heat shimmer, it'd look really cool when driving on a warm day or when looking at jets and helicopters.

Here's a mockup I did a few years ago. Please note this is not ingame, it's done in post :)

sFbKIqRJ57k

And that is exactly what I meant. It's the sort of little thing that really pulls you into the game world.

Oh, that was ingame?

Can't wait for the ultra photorealism and the cheesy characters.

I wouldn't go quite that far, it looks 50/50, the commanche was obviously ingame and it is possible that the tank scene was as well, the firing bit I have doubts about but hey if that means more shaders then all the better for us to manipulate in our obsessive quest for virtual reality.

I'd like a heat shimmer effect in the game for vehicles, especially the helicopters and jets. Just not like in the trailer with the tank firing what ever it fired, but if in the end we get that, and the effect on vehicle exhaust an such....well the...i guess that's okay too.

It certainly doesn't make it UNREALISTIC! I observed "heat shimmer" in 1975 as a 5 year-old in the South. If a 5 year-old notices it, maybe it is missing?

When a tank fires you don't see any magical distortion happening IRL like in that trailer.

I agree. I first noticed that in tac-shooters in BF: Modern Combat. I've been hating it, ever since. I was talking about exhaust from vehicles, the air over fires and hot pavement.

Do you think we don't have fancy shaders in ArmA because devs are too lazy/don't know how to do that?

I think I heard that it wasn't done because it would require another render-pass? Does that sound right?

Yeah, that's exactly one of the effects I was asking for, DMarkwick. (Nice Blade Runner music, too. :D )

Edited by Uziyahu--IDF

We need to see people's gentalia with thermal scopes. I think we can all agree that takes precedence.

In all seriousness I would love to see haze especially at the back of turbines. Maybe even car exhausts. Better glare on windshields and hopefully on those fancy new 3d scopes. Some chromatic abberation as well. All these things would show up particularily well in the mediterannean environment.

Oh and smoke from gun barrel/chamber a little more after constant fire.

Edited by Uberduderofdoomer

Distortion must be possible, because it already happens in ArmA2, specifically the ground under the sea is distorted by the water surface. That means it's possible to apply that shader (or, more accurately, a variation of it) to a particle. Then we can have heat from large fires distorting the scenery behind it. A small and perhaps not-very-useful feature, but a possible one. All we'd need is access to shaders and the possibility of applying them to particles and a modder could do it.

As for heat-shimmer, I don't know a way to make that work without devoting too much CPU/GPU time to it. Distant heat shimmer has two components, a distorting component and a reflective component. I guess those two things can be separated, but then it becomes a matter of applying my first suggestion to large particles at distance, surrounding the player. I doubt if that's workable for the cost.

Actually I believe it would be realistic. Hot gases are expelled from the tube, with different density than cooler air, causing refraction. If it would be visible, or for how long it would be visible, I don't know.

We need to see people's gentalia with thermal scopes. I think we can all agree that takes precedence.

Thanks, you just reminded me of that scene from Hollow Man where you see Kevin Bacon's junk through a pair of thermal goggles. Now my day is ruined.

Actually I believe it would be realistic. Hot gases are expelled from the tube, with different density than cooler air, causing refraction. If it would be visible, or for how long it would be visible, I don't know.

A few 1000ths of a second, if that.

Certainly nothing as "fancy" as the CGI in the A3 "trailer"

Then we can have heat from large fires distorting the scenery behind it. A small and perhaps not-very-useful feature, but a possible one.

This made a difference in World at War. There's a mission where you're facing a multi-level bombed-out building and have an option to snipe from behind a burning car. The heat distortion makes it harder to snipe the machinegunners.