Sign in to follow this  
MoS

Render to texture - what are the possibilities?

This section of the forums is getting more ridiculous by the day.

Anyways, Primarch - this is not the first time you've caused problems, as the number of infractions attributed to your account clearly shows. When your two week holiday is up you can make a decision as to whether or not you want to remain a contributing member here. 2 week long post restrictions can easily be changed to permanent ones should you so desire.

Now, back on topic please, people.

Never played Joint Ops huh? ;)

Probably not enough. I vaguely recall being able to jump into a helicopter without any obvious changes in LOD, but iirc we always took a seat for flying. Same for vehicle operations, always getting into a specific seat. I may be wrong. We tried it a few times but was unsuitable for our kind of editing requirements. It was mostly used for getting CoD action players into slightly more serious gaming in a way they understood. They upped their standard, the rest of us lowered ours, and we could play together.

As for interpolation, the game already tries to do that and fails. Sometimes badly when lag is introduced. Even at good conditions being a vehicle gunner feels near impossible (for reasons I believe I understand). Countless times have I crashed into terrain as a helicopter passenger only to be snapped back into the air. Interpolation still occurs, but it can't overcome lag. At least as long as the vehicle you're walking in isn't local to you, by whatever trickery available (such as the RTT portal method where you actually sit in a static vehicle underground and the scenery you see is based on a sphere texture capture - yikes!), at least I have problems seeing how it can be done. LAN pings and speeds a possibility. Internet pings and lags - not so much. How does VBS do this over the internet with plenty of players and 50-100 ping with a struggling server? Does it work well? Seems I was wrong about ragdolls, maybe I'm wrong here too, I don't know (would be happy if I were :p).

Derailing? Well, I didn't do that intentionally. I wrote a long section on RTT for use with the portal method as a possible technical solution to walking in vehicles, but realized some issues with it and removed it, leaving only the physics part. So in original text, physics and RTT was connected. But thanks Primarch for the harsh words, and welcome to my apple list when you come back.

Never played Joint Ops huh? ;)

He was talking about interior walking accomplished with a physics engine that takes into account the friction of the avatar's feet on the metal surface of the helicopter. Are you suggesting that joint ops used a physics engine to accomplish this in internet multiplayer?

i guess ill take the liberty of putting this back on topic, if RTT exists i want interiors or its kind of pointless. i want to actually have computer screens, mfd, uav laptop etc.

He was talking about interior walking accomplished with a physics engine that takes into account the friction of the avatar's feet on the metal surface of the helicopter. Are you suggesting that joint ops used a physics engine to accomplish this in internet multiplayer?

No, i am suggesting that Joint Ops allowed us to walk inside moving vehicles with >100 players, years ago, thus rendering the 'Netcode/bandwith wont allow it' argument somewhat useless. (Obviously ArmA2 has more to cope with, but theoretically it should technically be possible)

Making it possible by simply changing the physics engine is of course a rather weird statement, and i am not supporting that.

Edited by NeMeSiS

i guess ill take the liberty of putting this back on topic, if RTT exists i want interiors or its kind of pointless. i want to actually have computer screens, mfd, uav laptop etc.

back on topic guys, talk about render to texture :yay:

yeah I'd love to see vehicle interiors come alive with electronics, especially aircraft, though something tells me heli's will be same ol' same ol' with the tab locking.

yeah I'd love to see vehicle interiors come alive with electronics, especially aircraft, though something tells me heli's will be same ol' same ol' with the tab locking.

nahh i think after take on helis is a great success they are going to impliment that to the flight models instead of the wasd qz xc controls, then when people demand realistic jets to balance it out it will turn into a semi simulator

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

if u look up take on helicopters community preview on youtube youll see what i mean

He was talking about tab lock targeting.

Which has nothing to do with what you were posting nor does it have anything to do with Render to Texture.

I like how you double post, quoting yourself to get us to stay on topic, then the next post you're off topic already.

does any1 know since they are implementing render to texture, if all vehicles will be like that on helis? as in touch bottoms rather that push forward to start?

That still has nothing to do with render to texture. I doubt any vehicles in Arma 3 will have mouse clickable buttons.

Considering interactive cockpits in TAKOH, I certainly hope so.

yea thats what i mean, id love to be in a say abhrams, or arma 3 equivalant, and be using a computer inside for targeting, uav control, etc. If they make it possible im sure some expirienced modder will do it. idc if bis themselves do it, if they say its possible it will get done

What do interactive cockpits have to do with RTT? :confused:

let me ask you a question, if your in a tank, as in no outside view, what would be the point of computer buttons if u cant see the outside (no computer screen)?

(At 02:50 if time skip dosent work.)

let me ask you a question, if your in a tank, as in no outside view, what would be the point of computer buttons if u cant see the outside (no computer screen)?

1. Press key to switch from periscope view to inner view.
  2. Interact with buttons and switches.
  3. Push key to go back to periscope view.

It could work without RTT. But yeah, I do see how RTT will be useful for proper inside view equipment like screens. My main point was simply that interactive buttons do not necessarily require RTT. Never mind though, I know what you are getting at. ;)

1. Press key to switch from periscope view to inner view.
  2. Interact with buttons and switches.
  3. Push key to go back to periscope view.

It could work without RTT. But yeah, I do see how RTT will be useful for proper inside view equipment like screens. My main point was simply that interactive buttons do not necessarily require RTT, but never mind.

i see what u mean, but thats the same thing as arma 3 having underwater gameplay, but no air system, its not nessisary, but its wierd being selectively immerisive

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

cool thing to put in your head imagine mando missiles with RTT?

Well RTT monitor's for driver's during night operations would be something. Since most vehicles have them. Im sure you could have buttons to start the engine turn the exterior an interior lights on or just to operate the camera settings. Only area for gunners to use would be if they had a monitor for targeting. Have switches to select weapons, round type, speeds, monitors displays zooms what ever you could think of, like a CROWS display for example. It would be top shit for that scenario.

Well RTT monitor's for driver's during night operations would be something. Since most vehicles have them.

i dont want to jump the gun or anything but i think the have those, because if u look at the e3 video ull see a big shiny screen, in the car, and the boat. The fact that i mention they are shiny is because if they were low res they would prob be aesthetic, but they are so good quality to the point that i feel have they to be used

You also notice them in the screenshots and images released. They just scream RTT use, especially on the boats with that big remote control gun.

Hehe, if BIS post a video of RTT being used for all those screens, I think I'm gonna have a "Squeeeee!!!" moment. :D

(or five)

Hehe, if BIS post a video of RTT being used for all those screens, I think I'm gonna have a "Squeeeee!!!" moment. :D

(or five)

i believe they are going to closer to the release of take on helicopters, if u look at the trailer it shows a computer screen with it, so my theory is they are going to perfect it there and then implement it into Arma 3, the screens in the helicopter, boat, and jeep are the same, (hint hint)