Sign in to follow this  
metalcraze

So how does 3-9 "suppression fire" work?

I've seen it much earlier in the menu but when ordering units to do that I haven't noticed any difference

What exactly does it do?

I haven't seen any units do anything when it is clicked. Shame as it would have been cool, lthough we don't seem to have AI really cowering when under fire anway!

I believe this has come up before, I think it basically acts the same as "target/attack that man", goat, whatever, rather than putting fire down on a fixed area.

Saying that I've never noticed any of my AI lay down any heavier rate of fire even doing that though

Yeah the AI has to have a target so first target an enemy for him and then tell him to suppress or all of your soldiers but a machine gunner is the best way off course..

AI will continue to shoot at location where enemy was last seen. Note that AI magically knows if they killed their target, or have additional/better (visible) targets, both which may stop them from suppressing.

OK then.

That's too bad it works like that though. I'd have preferred to give area based suppression order (like pointing a cursor at the area needing to be suppressed) instead of a unit which is not optimal by far

If AI actually behaved as if they were suppressed it would be even better, but they don't. I don't any suppression has ever worked in Arma/Arma2!

Suppression does affect the AI although not in an optimal way

I've noticed that when under fire they tend to slow down and their aiming precision lowers drastically

When I start firing on AI, they tend to just run, making them harder to hit. Sometimes they also go prone. Their aim does seem to be impacted though when being truly suppressed.

It seems to me that the order must be directed at a particulair enemy soldier.

I can't seem to give such an order against a bit of bush or grass.

-

I've only ever gotten this command to work when I ordered my man to shoot point-blank through a bush at a man immediately on the other side. There was no line of sight between the two, and it took a ton of setup. Not reproducible at range and not useful at all.

FIRST you as the team leader must identify enemies by radio, then you can order your subordinates to have a suppressive fire on the target.

But I think this is not so good.