Sign in to follow this  
Angle

Inventory improvement suggestions and discussion.

With a prefect opportunity to improve the gear system how would you do it?

I have been thinking about this for a while now and I'm quite sure of how I think it should be redone. Starting by getting rid the separated slots for rifle and handgun ammo slots and replacing them with a Resident Evil 4 style grid. Where different types off ammo takes up different amounts of space. (Ex. Regular rifle mag 2x3 slots, 75rnd ak/BetaC 3x3 slots, Pistol mag 1x2 slots, extended pistol/MP5/SMG 1x3, grenades 2x2 and so on)

And calibrate the amount of space available to approximately match how much could be carried somewhat realistically. (Space available could be changeable via scripting as well)

This inventory system should also apply to cars and backpacks but not ammoboxes(to much stuff).

Weapons, backpacks and gear penalties.

I would say that 4 weapon slots it the most optimal sort of the way ACE has it. Laid out as follows.

Primary slot: Contains rifles.

Launcher/backpack slot: Contains only launchers or backpacks.

Auxiliary slot: Contains a rifle or launcher.

Sidearm slot: Contains sidearms, flair guns, wire cutters or similar tings.

And in order so make it more cumbersome to kit up with a M240, a large backpack and a M107 I would suggest extending this with gear penalties applied to different weapons that removes slots in your grid inventory. As well as combining these penalties with multipliers for the different slots.

Penalty multipliers for the different slot:

Primary slot: 1 or 2 (see Auxiliary slot)

Launcher/backpack slot: 1

Auxiliary slot: If both Primary and Auxiliary slot is occupied the slot containing the item with the larger penalty gets the multiplier 2 and the smaller item the multiplier 1

Sidearm slot: 0

And by giving larger weapons like MMG's, anti material rifles, large backpacks and javelin style launcher a larger penalty will sufficiently discourage “overgearingâ€, or so I believe.

One issue that arises with this system would be that I don't think you can have the weapons automatically grab ammunition for them selves. But I think it would be better if the feature was removed and after you have chosen you guns you press a button that filters out ammunition not compatible with the guns that you have on you.

Edited by Angle

I think instead of slots, they should move on to somekind of weight system, which would also affect the character's movement. Why limit it only to a certain amount (slots)? In real life you could practically carry as many rifles as you want and shove magazines into your undies, your sleeves and your mouth.

Yes weight based would be nice. But within what limits would such a system work. You pick up a hundred (more like 5 really) guns and cycle through all of them until you get to the one you have ammo for?

The interface for a entirely weight based system might be a bit much for smooth gameplay. Until someone lines out how the interface would work I'm in favor of a more volume based slot system.

i want my MP5A4 and Sniper rifle.

:/

it could be depending on what uniform and items you chose in your customization loadout

they say:

Customizable Soldier Load

Choose your uniform, assemble your weapon kit, change your loadout, get loaded up.

so you can customize the number of pouch, mag belt, backpack, etc. and ofcourse a carry weight system that affect your movement

Certainly a 2 weapon limit also governed by the weight so you don't have loonatics running around with a barret and a saw. The weight system suggested is interesting BUT you would only realistically have so many places to stuff magazines etc. Only so many mag pouches, only so many pockets etc. One thing that does bug me is anyone with a heavy weapon like a saw can't wear a backpack? makes no sense. I think a seperate backpack slot away from the weapons slots is needed a man CAN carry light AT and a backpack.

Personally I would like to see the character model represent what you do. Basically you have a semi blank vest which you can add pouches to and it's represented on the player character model and you can stow the relevant equipment in those pouches. Unlikely that would happen but it would be nice.

I like how its done in ACE now. A good weight system is all you need. Suddenly you start to plan your characters Loadout really carefully

In my opinion Hidden and Dangerous 2 had the best approach to the inventory system, applying both weight and bulk considerations as well as representing gear selected on the unit model. Given the amount of units the Arma series is capable of handling compared to the average H&D2 scenario the latter may conceivably result in considerable performance penalties. Nonetheless H&D2 provides the best inventory handling set up to emulate.

Regards,

Sander

I prefer the weight system and I would love to have primary's as launchers

shove magazines into your undies, your sleeves and your mouth.

I can just imagine that

Yeah I prefer the weight system too; the only problem I had with it was that you couldn't fit that much in the vanilla version. Even so backpacks wern't that large anyway but anywhoo!

Backpacks and the weight of them is the way to go.

Also lets get realistic here. There need to be a limit on the amount of rifles / launchers you can carry into battle. What is the point of taking 4 rifles, 3 pistols, 3 launchers and all the ammo you need for them?

Also lets get realistic here. There need to be a limit on the amount of rifles / launchers you can carry into battle. What is the point of taking 4 rifles, 3 pistols, 3 launchers and all the ammo you need for them?

Exactly. :D

_neo_

Backpacks and the weight of them is the way to go.

I guess that's what is meant by "encumbered" here :

Key features:

Customizable Soldier Load - choose your uniform, assemble your weapon kit, change your loadout, get encumbered.

But does it imply some weight calculation, maybe.

i really hope weight will make in, and affect the speed of the character, rather than make you collapse/faint (ace approach)

Affect Speed and collapse faint? I think both would be a very good solution. It may be a little bit too hardcore for the average player to suddenly fall on his nose after running 2kms

Affect Speed and collapse faint? I think both would be a very good solution. It may be a little bit too hardcore for the average player to suddenly fall on his nose after running 2kms

Faint is way too crazy, even in real life if you run for too long pushing the limits you don't faint, maybe something like it but not actual faint/drop on ground.

There could be a threshold where a unit if too tired would slow down to walking or even stop and make it need to re-gain stamina for some seconds before it could move again fast again.

Also the gear weight would need to matter a lot.

_neo_

I've started running again in the last 3 weeks, at least 2 times a week. I never fainted, nor collapsed, although i really pushed myself (i smoke 1.5 packs/day) to the point that i wasn't able to drive myself home afterwards due to leg shaking. Yes, my speed decreased with each lap, and i could barely breath right, even some state of dizziness could occur, but i never fainted.

The problem with implementing slowdowns in A2 is related to the speeds for walk and run, that are fixed (hardcoded) opposed to the sprint speed that decreases to the point of having it lower than the normal run. So atm there is no way to progressively decrees those (or control them via an analog stick).

I am all for limiting the amount of stuff you can carry based on their weight than some very generic slots. But to counter it, some system currently available in A2 needs to change.

I favour a weight system and reduced stamina as the soldier carries more gear. Ideally you want soldiers to have a similar 'movement' speed for the simple reason of making formations/teamwork easier to achieve.

Stamina is used when moving, more so while sprinting or going uphill. When traversing obstacles, carrying wounded comrades etc etc.

Running out of stamina results in a loud breathing, slower sprint speed and a shakyness while aiming. In short. Reduced combat effectiveness.

Sure. So you want to be a sniper carrying a M107 and a M4? No sweat. Well actually a lot of sweat. Good luck hitting anything after running up a hill with that load. More so than the weapon system the major weight limiter would be carrying enough ammunition to be effective.

I recently started jogging as well. Very few blackouts going on, but I very nearly threw up once or twice.

-k

If you pack more ammo/equipment in your "character" than he has space for it so more noise you do and get more easy detected.

I would like to see the possibility to change sights e.g. attach NV to an ACOG scope or something like this. And i want pistols in the holsters visible plz :D

I favour a weight system and reduced stamina as the soldier carries more gear. Ideally you want soldiers to have a similar 'movement' speed for the simple reason of making formations/teamwork easier to achieve.

Stamina is used when moving, more so while sprinting or going uphill. When traversing obstacles, carrying wounded comrades etc etc.

Running out of stamina results in a loud breathing, slower sprint speed and a shakyness while aiming. In short. Reduced combat effectiveness.

Sure. So you want to be a sniper carrying a M107 and a M4? No sweat. Well actually a lot of sweat. Good luck hitting anything after running up a hill with that load. More so than the weapon system the major weight limiter would be carrying enough ammunition to be effective.

I recently started jogging as well. Very few blackouts going on, but I very nearly threw up once or twice.

-k

Not only stamina, also dexterity* should be adjusted according to what you are carrying with you, so you are not as agile while carrying around a bunch of stuff.

*I think the config entry was called this, i mean the one that limits turning speed, its weapon specific now.

Hmm, obviously there needs to be links between several things. More stuff = more encumbrance, I think we can all agree on that.

More encumbrance = more visible? Idea being that more stuff = more bulk + noises?

More encumbrance = less speed/agility?

Visibility = speed + encumbrance?

Hmm, obviously there needs to be links between several things. More stuff = more encumbrance, I think we can all agree on that.

More encumbrance = more visible? Idea being that more stuff = more bulk + noises?

More encumbrance = less speed/agility?

Visibility = speed + encumbrance?

For the sake of gameplay i would like to see walking and jogging speed be kept the same, otherwise you get huge problems with the AI and having to wait for eachother in MP/some people having to run at times to keep up.

However, other animations like getting up/down/over could be slowed down a bit according to encumbrance.

Obviously a stamina penalty is needed(for all animations would be best i think), and personally i would also like to see the dexterity bound to encumbrance instead of the weapon you are holding to simulate lower agility.

I disagree with more visible, a man's silhouet doesnt really change if he has an extra M4 on his back, however more audible does make sense IMO.