Sign in to follow this  
Dibuk

They better have female soldiers...

Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see women in ArmA 3?

• I would like to see female combat units for each/certain military faction(s)
    • I would prefer only civilian female characters, but with full combat animations/capability
    • I wouldn't mind seeing civilian female characters, but don't care/prefer if they are combat capable
    • I would prefer to see no female characters in ArmA 3 (downgrade from ArmA 2)

Also, Cripsis was being sarcastic. Sarcasm does not imply disrespect.

That's true. I love and respect women, especially brunettes with big brown eyes. I also have a weakness for sassy female Navy SEALS so I do hope BIS can make one look just like Jessica Alba, naturally I'll follow closely behind her during underwater demolition missions, watching the rear.

That's true. I love and respect women, especially brunettes with big brown eyes. I also have a weakness for sassy female Navy SEALS so I do hope BIS can make one look just like Jessica Alba, naturally I'll follow closely behind her during underwater demolition missions, watching the rear.

oh god the innuendo is making me bleed out of my ears

I guess it depends on the buildings in the game. Will there be kitchens?

Will there be kitchens?

Good question. I hope there will be laundries too so we can create some looping cycle waypoints for the female soldiers.

Ignoring the existence of women soldiers is fundamentally unrealistic, anyone who has been in a western armed force in the last 10 years would find the lack of women odd. I don't think the lack of women can be honestly justified any longer.

If there are female combat models and some selectable bodytype/face combinations in the profile editor, I'll be happy.

I seem to recall some BI comment long ago, about arma 2 (it may even have been arma 1, people have been asking for this since ofp), stating that they had moral qualms with women being soldiers or something, which was pretty fucked up.

Edited by Gir

I seem to recall some BI comment long ago, about arma 2 (it may even have been arma 1, people have been asking for this since ofp), stating that they had moral qualms with women being soldiers or something, which was pretty fucked up.

Personally I believe that simulating any form of violence against women is pretty messed up.

Personally I believe that simulating any form of violence against women is pretty messed up.

I guess if you pretend it doesn't happen maybe it will stop!

Women are people and sometimes people get shot in the face.

edit: I'd venture that women suffer the majority of violence inflicted on people on the planet earth.

edit2: I don't think portraying women as weak and unable to handle a gun, as ingame, or the sexist bullshit in this thread does anything to help.

Edited by Gir

I guess if you pretend it doesn't happen maybe it will stop!

Unfortunately the reality is that violence against women will very likely never stop, but it isn't vital for BIS to simulate it in their games.

Unfortunately the reality is that violence against women will very likely never stop, but it isn't vital for BIS to simulate it in their games.

It isn't vital that guns have bullet drop either, or that people die in one shot to the head. It isn't vital that vehicles go slower offroad or that you can break your legs or arms. It isn't vital that shooting the tail rotor of a helicopter makes it spin out or that soldiers have finite ammo.

It's just realistic.

Any kind of SHTF situation, as has happened in lots of ofp/arma sp campaigns is going to feature women shooting. Even a lower intensity anti-insurgency campaign is going to feature plenty of women at FOBs and flying helicopters and as shown in that article about women SF soldiers, in the field.

Personally this is a feature I've wanted since I started playing ofp almost a decade ago.

At the risk of sounding like a horrible person, when it comes down to the fight either you kill her or she kills you, at that point ones gender becomes irrelevant, all that matters is who gets the fatal shot. Violence against women would continue regardless and does in A2 considering we have female civilians, the difference would be that they could now pick up weapons.

Looking back on the OA campaign BI's arguement always seemed very strange..it is okay to portray women as hookers and abused victims, and have the ability to kill all of them but morality comes to the table when the concept that they could pick up a weapon enters the conversation.

Edited by NodUnit

At the risk of sounding like a horrible person, when it comes down to the fight either you kill her or she kills you, at that point ones gender becomes irrelevant, all that matters is who gets the fatal shot. Violence against women would continue regardless and does in A2 considering we have female civilians, the difference would be that they could now pick up weapons.

There's nothing horrible about treating women as adults and equals.

Of course killing people is pretty horrible, but we're all simulating being horrible monsters ;).

Looking back on the OA campaign BI's arguement always seemed very strange..it is okay to portray women as hookers and abused victims, and have the ability to kill all of them but morality comes to the table when the thought that they could pick up a weapon enters the conversation.

Yeah, I found that kind of suspect when one of the first things you see in the arma 2 campaign is a woman who has been raped or something.

That moment was a bit more traumatizing for me than most, some bug was causing her face to melt off when I played through.

"Look at what they've done to her!" *jaw down to ground, eyeballs floating*

Edited by Gir

but morality comes to the table when the thought that they could pick up a weapon enters the conversation.

Morality comes to the table when game developers need to make a decision about simulating the maiming and killing of women.

Morality comes to the table when game developers need to make a decision about simulating the maiming and killing of women.

Which, as pointed out, you can do in arma 2. They just can't fight back...

edit: well actually, they can in mounted weapons, it looks pretty funny.

Edited by Gir

Yikes..I remember that bug..Amnesia's grunt has nothing on that visual. *shudders*

Which, as pointed out, you can do in arma 2. They just can't fight back...

Well I can only imagine the sum of a persons intellectual capabilities to want to simulate such an act, however if BIS included enemy female soldiers then a mission might require the human player to target a female, and even VBS2 doesn't force real world troops to do this.

Well I can only imagine the sum of a persons intellectual capabilities to want to simulate such an act, however if BIS included enemy female soldiers then a mission might require the human player to target a female, and even VBS2 doesn't force real world troops to do this.

Requiring anyone to kill another person is a huge moral decision and conflict, do you consider killing a man to be trivial? Or perhaps it is "just a videogame", but not when it comes to simulated women.

Edited by Gir

Note, from a distance, in a "future soldier" gear and full body armor, you'd have a hard time telling a male from female. And TBH, if VBS2 doesn't force recruits to fight women as well as men, then there's a hole in the training system. Granted, it won't matter when fighting radical Islamic sects (where a woman picking up a gun would have been considered a blasphemy), but Libya did had Kadaffi's female bodyguards fighting the rebels. If an US soldier would be reluctant to shot such bodyguard, he'd end up having to explain that to Chesty Puller himself, in heaven. A realistic simulation will account for all such factors, most real world armies include females, and insurgent forces can take them as soldiers as well. Also, there's no difference between a man and a woman in military. Male of female, they're all soldiers. Gender doesn't matter, only rank does. I think that it should be reflected in ArmA.

If an US soldier would be reluctant to shot such bodyguard, he'd end up having to explain that to Chesty Puller himself, in heaven.

Right before Chesty kicked him in the chest and sent him spiraling down to the fires below. :D

Same with female suicide bombers.... splat!

If an US soldier would be reluctant to shot such bodyguard, he'd end up having to explain that to Chesty Puller himself, in heaven.

Chesty Puller was a Marine. Females are excluded from direct combat rolls in the USMC.

http://www.chestypullerwma.freeservers.com/

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"

LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC

Chesty Puller was a Marine. Females are excluded from direct combat rolls in the USMC.

http://www.chestypullerwma.freeservers.com/

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"

LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make, but I'll just leave this here:

Sym1F.jpg

Of course the ridiculousness of attack helicopter pilots not being a direct combat role remains. But every woman marine qualifies to the same ridiculous standards (imagine 500 yards with an ironsighted a2).

Edited by Gir

They just don't get to throw grenades.

I imagine they have to at least try?

I've seen mention of an early 90s study, the 45% of female recruits couldn't throw 15 yards thing, but I wonder what the percentage of male recruits that failed was, never seen that number. Grenades are heavy as shit to overarm, and the throw they teach is a weird shotput affair anyway.

I just know when I went through Boot that was the only thing they didn't do. I'm sure if the shit hits the fan they do. We also did have a male throw short. lol

I just know when I went through Boot that was the only thing they didn't do. I'm sure if the shit hits the fan they do. We also did have a male throw short. lol

the marines have mixed sex basic?