Sign in to follow this  
chronial54

How do I get out of the chopper?

Just started Arma 2 Reinforcements. Cue the cutscene, where we could all possibly die because we've been hit by a missile, and all of your chopper mates are creepily placid. They should be screaming for their lives or something.

On to my issue..

I can't get out of the chopper!

There's no directions, nothing to tell me what to do. So I sit in the chopper and watch my team mates get shot to pieces.

I've pressed every key on the board, nothing happens!

So.

How do I get out of the chopper, anyone?

I'm assuming you're new to ArmA 2? I've never actually played Reinforcements myself, so I don't really know the situation, but the way to get in and out of vehicles in ArmA 2 is to use the scroll wheel menu.

Scroll up or down on the scroll wheel and a sidebar menu should appear. One of the options while in a vehicle is always "EJECT". Normally, you do not want to press this button. More often than not, you end up giving the ground below you some nice red paint. When the helicopter (or any other vehicle) is completely safe to leave, the "GET OUT" option will appear. If you can see this option, you can press either "EJECT" or "GET OUT" and you will still be fine either way.

One note. If you are driving the vehicle, pressing "GET OUT" will turn off the engine. Pressing "EJECT" will leave the engine on.

ArmA 2 does have a steep learning curve. Before you do anything, I suggest you do the Single Player Bootcamp missions. For flying choppers, I think that remapping the keys Battlefield-style makes things *much* easier.

Some MP tips. Don't go into MP without knowing the basics. Don't fly aerial vehicles without knowing what to do with them, because people will get mad at you if you crash the AH-64 into a mountainside. Crashes are inevitable, but we want to make the number of them as few as possible. People in Multiplayer are usually happy to help you out if you have a question about the game though, so feel free to ask around. This game has a great community to learn from. :)

Edited by 160thSOAR

Its a shame I couldn't find any in this game.

Thanks for the heads up! Now I can get to playing. Its always silly when you start to play a game and can't figure out what to do! Note to the developers..

The tutorials are under single player- scenarios on the main menu.

Just play the tutorial mission first to understand the game

I hated the tutorial and didn't feel much wiser after playing it. It put me off buying Arma 2 for a long time.

I would be interested to hear the opinion of other people who came to the Arma2 tutorial without having played an Arma game before (I had played OpF, but that's another thing).

With a game as complex as Arma2 a better way to teach would be a more structured approach which starts by explaining the grand concepts like the Action menu and Command menus. You won't appreciate if you've played Arma1 how much assumed information there was. Even the Map menu structure is not simple and intuitive.

Just my opinion. But in my opinion if you point newbies to the tutorial you could end up driving them away from Arma2 altogether!!!

i think the complete tutorial is in OFP flashpoint lol XDD

I always play the tutorial in any game I play. And yes, I played through everything (where possible, and giggled where they messed up :D) of OA tutorial even if I've played since OFP.

As for getout/eject, I've bound it like this:

getout - ctrl + e

eject - 2 x ctrl + e (doubletap)

In multiplayer, don't exit a vehicle with engine running. Highly annoying for other players.

Isn't the action menu mentioned in the manual? For rather complex games, it's wise to look in the manual.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

I hated the tutorial and didn't feel much wiser after playing it.

"The" ????? "It" ????

I don't have Arma11. Instead, I have Operation Arrowhead.

There is not just one tutorial there are numerous!

One for walking and moving about

One for shooting various weapons

One for driving

and so on and so forth.........

Some I had to play through a few times to get the hang of it but I got there.

-

I hated the tutorial and didn't feel much wiser after playing it. It put me off buying Arma 2 for a long time.

I would be interested to hear the opinion of other people who came to the Arma2 tutorial without having played an Arma game before (I had played OpF, but that's another thing).

I played the ARMA2 Tutorials as a newbie to ARMA (and OFP)... I learned a lot I would not have known... Only thing I didn't really learn how to use from the Tutorial (first time playing through) that would be important - was how to fly a plane.

It acted as if it had the same controls as a helicopter - except with a Plane W is accelerate - not Q.

Then of course, as Joe98 mentioned - all the tutorials for new OA features were useful. :P

You can set a key for getting out of vehicles in the options/Controls/vehicles menu.

If you have a gaming keyboard with extra keys you can use those.

A lot less hassle then fiddling with the scroller on a mouse especially if the vehicle is bouncing when it's stopped..... IE ATV's