Sign in to follow this  
ray243

Am I the only one who disliked the futuristic approach?

Ah yes, because the units and vehicles of OFP looked very similar to their real life counter-parts, and there weren't any weapons being used in the game that weren't even in use at the time. :rolleyes:

lol nice find.

I dont get it. This is gonna be set somehwere in 2020. thats not that far away.8 years when this game comes out. i really think we gotta stop using the term futuristic because i keep thinking of games like halo, bulletstorm or games like that(properly just me but anyway.). Most of the stuff that has been shown has been has at least been put on the drawing boards or is in fact real.

And the fake conflict? Has anyone played arma 2? At least the island is gonna be real.

BIS is doing something new and i like that.

We arent going to be seeing

Edited by AstroMan

lol nice find.

I dont get it. This is gonna be set somehwere in 2020. thats not that far away.8 years when this game comes out. i really think we gotta stop using the term futuristic because i keep thinking of games like halo, bulletstorm or games like that(properly just me but anyway.). Most of the stuff that has been shown has been has at least been put on the drawing boards or is in fact real.

And the fake conflict? Has anyone played arma 2? At least the island is gonna be real.

BIS is doing something new and i like that.

We arent going to be seeing

Fake conflict in Arma2? The whole idea thing is like Kosovo conflict and not fake, Operation arrowhead is a mix from the first and second gulf war.

But i just wait for the quantum torpedo's and BI-Bots and the famous Arma UAV=Unmanned aerial vehicle. Why the hell are pilots siting inside in arma?

The future in the arma verse can only get better.

Well, the way I see it is fairplay to them for doing something differently!

Sure, it's nice to have it down to earth and realistic, but ArmA and OFp were based on fictional (inspired by true events, sure) events. They are just going that bit farther this time. When you have ArmA 1 and 2 baased around roughly the same time, I'd begin to wonder what difference in 3 would make me buy it. I mean, the game is going to run worse on my rig, if anything, so why not just stay with ArmA 2? Thankfully, they are trying this future approach. It's not as over the top as many other games, it's feet are still fairly planted to the ground. Thankfully, the mod community will make things the way the fans want as they always have, so either way, we will get both time periods.

From the screenshots and what's been said I'm hopeful. But these kind of previews have been at the start of ArmA 2 before and that turned out not to be a massive overhaul over ArmA 1 as it was essentially the same engine, it played very similarly. I am particularly worried when I saw supposed system specs. :thud:

Fake conflict in Arma2? The whole idea thing is like Kosovo conflict and not fake, Operation arrowhead is a mix from the first and second gulf war.

BIS games always took place in fictionnal conflicts, some sort of parallel reality, ArmA 2 wasn't based on Georgia (or Kosovo :confused:), OA wasn't based on Iraq or Afghanistan.

All those conflicts probably had an influence on the devs but BIS mentionned several times their games weren't based on real modern conflict.

First people whine about it being the future, then people whine about the weapons being old. Sorry, im not gonna play the game.

Dude, you didn't get what I mean. I see BIS going into an improvised, improbable, setting where things just don't make sense.

Operative;1932741']Dude' date=' you didn't get what I mean. I see BIS going into an improvised, improbable, setting where things just don't make sense.[/quote']

You mean like a rogue element of the Soviet Military invading a small chain of islands and the USA has to save the day but doesn't declare war on the USSR despite their obvious involvement? Official or not?

Or maybe you mean a nation the size of a small US state having access to more firepower than most industrialised nations with fairly substantial economies and populations?

BIS have always used real world events and probable events for their stories, it's why it's a story, and it's called artistic license. If they made it super realistic and based 100% on reality you'd be sat around most of the day cleaning your weapon and patrolling and seeing sweet F.A.

They're giving us a solid base for us to create our own scenarios and so on. So what if it's not 100% accurate? It's a game with emphasis on simulation, not a pure all out simulation. If you want that, get VBS2.

You mean like a rogue element of the Soviet Military invading a small chain of islands and the USA has to save the day but doesn't declare war on the USSR despite their obvious involvement? Official or not?

Or maybe you mean a nation the size of a small US state having access to more firepower than most industrialised nations with fairly substantial economies and populations?

BIS have always used real world events and probable events for their stories, it's why it's a story, and it's called artistic license. If they made it super realistic and based 100% on reality you'd be sat around most of the day cleaning your weapon and patrolling and seeing sweet F.A.

They're giving us a solid base for us to create our own scenarios and so on. So what if it's not 100% accurate? It's a game with emphasis on simulation, not a pure all out simulation. If you want that, get VBS2.

Oh come on, I'm talking about the guns, lol.

Wow all the whining.....you guys keep sayings its going to be "futuristic" in a way that makes it sound like its going to be 50-200 years in the god damn future, come back to earth people, its only 8 years! its like suddenly laser farting robots came to the battlefield or super inpenetrable tanks where created....Seriously.....

Wow all the whining.....you guys keep sayings its going to be "futuristic" in a way that makes it sound like its going to be 50-200 years in the god damn future, come back to earth people, its only 8 years! its like suddenly laser farting robots came to the battlefield or super inpenetrable tanks where created....Seriously.....

Because technology improves exponentially? Think of early 00's you thought there would be stuff like ipad or 3D going mainstream this decade? Stuff just happens which create a series of other stuff to happen. You'll see military taking advantage of the technology first, anyway. You'll see holographic 3D panels in this game among some sort of laz0rs.

LOL. First you say the ocean is too small, now you say it's too large. You said that the Ocean wasn't large enough for seaborne engagements, and that's false.

Moreover, you've gone from being concerned that an ocean is too small for vessel-to-vessel or vessel-to-land combat to being concerned about intercontinental travel. I think you need to figure out exactly it is what you're concerned about and not respond to someone's comments with something that's totally unrelated.

Maybe you understood my post wrong but that was sarcasm.

I give damn about ocean´s and navy in arma.

I think part of the problem Paladin is that you need to proof read your own posts. No insult intended, just saying sometimes your posts don't quote sound right, because:

I give damn about ocean´s and navy in arma.

contradicts the sentence above it and the context that it was in.

very pointless discussion imho, the game is gonna be what the game is gonna be. Noones gonna change it. The Hamov has a rotor and a gun, hence chopper. The tank has tracks and a gun hence a tank. Its still a game, its still a simulator. Whats the big deal? Same as going to the LA Noire thread and bitching that its set in 1947 and not in 1974 because you think that 1974 is cooler, a moot point. Dont judge a game by how many models of M1A1 its got, especially with the amount of info out there being do limited.

I just really hope that the "classic" US and Russian vehicles and gear are still available.

I don't doubt it; especially if there's going to be other, not as well funded, factions involved. ;)

Hi,

Ah yes, because the units and vehicles of OFP looked very similar to their real life counter-parts, and there weren't any weapons being used in the game that weren't even in use at the time. :rolleyes:

In 2001, OFP was not perfect, but the most realistic game ever... I was 19 at that time.

I bought everything from BIS since OFP (A lot of $), but I still only playing with OFP and original ARMA2.

Here a problem no? I should be exited at each new release, but no... (due to the lack of synergy and realism)

When a company loses customers loyal for 10 years, something go wrong i think.

I think we need a well done complete and realistic game.

Thank you,

-Luc-

It will still be realistic, the kinds of vehicles dont change anything. Whoop-de-doo theres a dual rotor Havok. Its still got rockets, still got a gun, and its still going to kill you if you don't take it out with a Stinger. The shell those weapons occupy doesn't actually matter, you still respond to the threat in a realistic manner.

"Am I the only one who disliked the futuristic approach?"

My opinion...

Yes, i agree : i would like réalistics and usual weaponry.

No prototypes, or futuristic véhicules...

I think we need a well done complete and realistic game.

A game can't be set in the future and still be realistic? If that were true, BIS wouldn't even attempt it. Yet, here we are.

See this thread.

;1935644']"Am I the only one who disliked the futuristic approach?"

My opinion...

Yes' date=' i agree : i would like réalistics and usual weaponry.

No prototypes, or futuristic véhicules...[/quote']

The FN 2000 is real .

The Tavor Tar 21 is real .

The CZ 805 A1 Bren/ CZ Scorpion Evo 3 are real .

The M14 EBR is real .

All the vehicles besides the Mil-28 with coaxial rotors are real . Yes, even the RAH 66 .

I'm just pointing out that it's not as futuristic as some believe .

P.S.

I used your post as an example , I have nothing against your opinion .

Things can exists and neverless not be so usual, or standard.

My knowledge in warfare is limited and i expect people to counter-say my words. Don't worry, i take things very easy ;), i want to learn...

Edited by Wolfgang[R3f]

This thread wins me playing the worlds saddest song on the worlds smalles violin!

The game can be changed/molded into most things your heart desires, so no, of course there is no problem with the game set in the future.

Next to that it seems the whole future-approach is taken out of proportions. It's not like we'll be fighting robots with lasers and all.

Also, old game content may be ported from older games to the newer games, of course we have no idea yet what technicalities will be involved with that,

but IMO you guys should chill out and welcome this new installment of the OFP/ArmA series;

What is important is the engine improvements, not so much the content.

If the default setting doesn't suit you; let the community deal with it or even better; start getting those hands dirty yourself.

Edited by Sickboy

ArmA2 definitely smells like MGS4...

From the graphics to the storyline...I mean Special Operator alone at the operations area...and just take a look at some screenshots and compare it to MSG4...

Although honestly I think that's actually a good sign.

I dont think you can compare it at all to MGS4 Personally.... Other than its set in the future.... MGS is awesome but this is totally different...

;1936223']Things can exists and neverless not be so usual' date=' or standard.

My knowledge in warfare is limited and i expect people to counter-say my words. Don't worry, i take things very easy ;), i want to learn...[/quote']

Well, the FN 2000 is used by a number of armed forces branches around the world and the majority are SF . This wiki article explains more . Scroll down to see the current users .

The Tavor Tar 21 is used by the IDF .

The CZ 805 and the Scorpion Evo 3 will replace the Vz. 58 in the Cech army / armed forces .

The M14 EBR is used by the US in Afghanistan, for example .

The Merkava 4M and the Namer AFV/APC/IFV ... are used by the IDF .

Also most of the companies that build this weapons/vehicles are privately owned . Unless there is a law that prevents the transfer of technology , they are free to sell them to an outside buyer .

If a branch of the US/UK/French/German/Polish/Russian/etc military wants to buy 10.000 FN 2000's, they can do it .

Edited by Maio

The game can be changed/molded into most things your heart desires, so no, of course there is no problem with the game set in the future.

Next to that it seems the whole future-approach is taken out of proportions. It's not like we'll be fighting robots with lasers and all.

Agree on all counts. I think "future" people instantly think of GRAW and Future Soldier. Thing is modders could easily make headcam kit and other future trinkets, I doubt BIS are going to spend to much time on that sort of thing.

BTW my emoticon is currently using a cloaking device as you are reading this line of text.