Sign in to follow this  
ray243

Am I the only one who disliked the futuristic approach?

"What if" and "Maybe" doesn't look that realistic to me, but your point is valid and BIS included a lot of unrealistic materiel in previous games, always keeping a grip with reality, of course.

BIS likes to take a plausible "futuristic" approach to their games it seems - ArmA 2 while mostly accurate, included the F-35C which is slated for a 2012+ introduction, set in a 2009 campaign. OA took it a bit further with the SCARs (2012 campaign I think) which were being discussed at the time of development, but as far as I know have now been abandoned in terms of US Army standard assault rifle replacements. PMC has no end to fancy gear, (cancelled) XM-8s, the automatic shotgun, and that UFO looking russian drone being the most obvious examples.

Well, it's the F-35B, not C. The C is for the Navy.

SCARs are in limited service, but only with special forces. They were originally requested by the Marines, hence the Mk designation system.

For PMC, the XM8 was already in the game from ArmA2, which itself I found baffling. Their other equipment, though, exists; the AA-12 shotgun is available for private purchase, so it's not implausible for a PMC to acquire them for CQC maneuvers. The Ka-137 is also a real vehicle, though there isn't much info about it online besides that its first flight was in 1998. Again, though, a few small UAVs are not something you would never expect a large PMC to purchase. So really, the Su-34 (only a handful have yet been built) XM8 and F-35 are the only truly out of place equipment, with the distribution of the SCAR as the other bit of inaccuracy that's really noticeable.

The problem I have is that this constitutes a fairly large tone shift in ArmA. OPF/ArmA have traditionally been about being a realistic milsim with a few embellished or slightly anachronistic vehicles and weapons, but nothing that really jumped out at you or couldn't be fixed by a small config mod (like giving US Army forces M16/M4's instead of SCARs). For highly speculative weapon and equipment choices, Modern Warfare and Battlefield 3/Bad Company 2 already deliver that.

I don't mind it. From the announcement/screenshots, it still seems like a pretty down-to-earth plausible future.

Bear in mind tho, it's the first bits of information released and we're barely scratching the surface on what we know about the game.

I know you guys are holding out on us...silly moderators...

Anyway

I think it would be smart for BI to at least come out with a dlc of a WW2 or even WW1 spin on the game since they are moving the game to the future. There are A LOT of people out there who still favor that era in terms of FPS/Sim and what not. Would give people that extra selection.

Even if there are mods out there for the past games, I would like to see one from BI with the new optimization and goodies that come with the new engine.

i'm not happy. this is more about science fiction than reality - which is what i thought the Arma brand was all about.

i'm not happy. this is more about science fiction than reality - which is what i thought the Arma brand was all about.

No it isn't, it's more reality than science fiction. And Arma has always been about fiction, there's never been a historically accurate BIS mission.

Not really over the moon about the futuristic approach. It would be alright as a dlc, but I would have preferred the core to be current gear etc.

I'm not too happy about the futuristic stuff either.

I already hate the SCARs given to every grunt in OA, and now this. :mad:

I'm sure people wouldn't be signing this tune, or signing at all for that matter, if a Tomahawk missile flew 2000 miles across various terrain, only to go through your window and explode. Or that time in Pakistan, some bearded men in a multi-million mansion with allegedly no satellite TeeVee got busted by SOF in a black op project helo, that was unseen to that day.

I would prefer the introduction of Metal Gears, though. :WheresMyTrollFaceSmiley:

And that’s what i expect from BI with the fantasy setting, a few remainders what happen with other games that went to the future.

R6 first class software.

Now we fucking billion terrorist in in CQB that come in a endless stream not strategy no tactic just kill kill kill.

Ghost recon the same now we are in the future, with magic eqment with predator suits.

Ghost Recon too they had moders too and all games walk in the future in there 3rd pard how funny we all know how fuckt up it got. In the Future.

But hej Bi doesn’t have to read any more in the forums “How unrealistic ARMA2 is. killing T-72/90 frontal with AT-4 from 800 meters†yehhh know you can say “its da future super weaponz.†>.<

Good by realism.

Good by Arma.

Good by BI.

Good by Costermer´s

There is no sens in supporting Bi if they go the same way like others.

What happens to serious tac games when they go mainstream we saw in the past.

But hej some one else will do BI job like its every time or not.

What

the fucking hell

are you talking about?

It's world war three. In the near future. It has the potential to be the purest form of combined arms warfare possible, exactly what BIS games have been renowned for from the start.

No magic. No science fiction. No mindless, tactic-less action you can expect from other triple A titles. All you've got to go by are some epic screenshots, a list of new features and a storyline.

What

the fucking hell

are you talking about?

It's world war three. In the near future. It has the potential to be the purest form of combined arms warfare possible, exactly what BIS games have been renowned for from the start.

People are delusional, paranoid - must be that ARG(H). :D -Paladin-, focus your energy on the concept of introducing naval warfare, subs included, into ArmA. Or is that futuristic, since you've never been on on a sub and you can not relate to that? :rolleyes:

:yay:

Its not the additon of new features to the engine, subs etc that has irked me.

I just dont like drawing board concepts being used. I feel no connection to them when I use them. At least with scars etc they exist and have been tested/used/videos etc.

I meant wtf is that mi28/ka50 thing. Been crying out for a mi28 since ofp and this is what appears?

Dunno, just not feeling the love atm. And believe me I have shown bi plenty of love since ofp (see sig)

Time will tell.

And that’s what i expect from BI with the fantasy setting, a few remainders what happen with other games that went to the future.

R6 first class software.

Now we fucking billion terrorist in in CQB that come in a endless stream not strategy no tactic just kill kill kill.

Ghost recon the same now we are in the future, with magic eqment with predator suits.

Ghost Recon too they had moders too and all games walk in the future in there 3rd pard how funny we all know how fuckt up it got. In the Future.

But hej Bi doesn’t have to read any more in the forums “How unrealistic ARMA2 is. killing T-72/90 frontal with AT-4 from 800 meters†yehhh know you can say “its da future super weaponz.†>.<

Good by realism.

Good by Arma.

Good by BI.

Good by Costermer´s

There is no sens in supporting Bi if they go the same way like others.

What happens to serious tac games when they go mainstream we saw in the past.

But hej some one else will do BI job like its every time or not.

And this is why I dislike the hardcore rivet counters. Seriously, you´re giving your side of the stadium a bad rep, get a grip.

Again, like I said before: what kind of equipment will be used WILL NOT ALTER THE GAMEPLAY. You will still have to keep your head down, stay out of killzones, maneuver your squad, take care of base of fire and reconaissance, and do all the things you have to do now. The difference is that GASP NOW YOUR HELMET HAS IR FLAG PATCHES AND A FANCY NV SET ATTACHED TO IT. How horrible, this game is certainly going belly up any time now.

Now, before I loose it, I´m gonna sign off for tonight. When I get back tomorrow the place will probably still be full with people panicking themselves senseless like this, but maybe I won´t get so upset myself about it then and take them for what they are. A particularily noisy, particularily small minority.

How many more years will it take for this game's concept to be plausible? Will it be another 10 years, just so we can say to ourselves, "Well gee, this is the time period of Arma III, guess it's time to play it!" ?

I think all the negativity surrounding this (not the majority hopefully) is completely misplaced. Since the F2000 is 10 years old now, I think it's very likely that it'd be put into wider service by the time Arma III is set. All of the kit I have seen in the very few screenshots has all been available, not including the Russian helicopter.

But even the Ka/Mi28 hybrid isn't even overly far-fetched. It looks like an Mi28, it's got the rotors of a Kamov. Both companies are Russian, so why can't they collaborate on one design?

Saying the entire concept of realism will collapse now is ridiculous. BIS have made OFP, its expansions, Arma and its expansion, and Arma 2 and its expansions. Have these ever once let you down on your need for something different on the market?

New kit does not dramatically change the game. It's the core mechanics that are at the heart of it. At this early stage all the doom and gloom that seems to be circulating would be hilarious if it weren't so stupid. Why would BIS post a screenshot of a new weapon system? BECAUSE IT'S NEW. Think of all the work the artists put into modelling the things in the screenshots. I bet they were thinking, "Yeah, I'm really pleased with this! Let's make it the first thing we post to show off something new to our fans!"

Of course it seems that some members think this is the end of the world, when all our assumptions are based on 9 screenshots.

Arma 2 units and weapons will most likely be ported anyways in later community addons. You really don't think that the first thing people are going to do is make an addon that gives the troops a realistic uniform and loadout?

People are delusional, paranoid - must be that ARG(H). :D -Paladin-, focus your energy on the concept of introducing naval warfare, subs included, into ArmA. Or is that futuristic, since you've never been on on a sub and you can not relate to that? :rolleyes:

:yay:

sure kid naval warfare on a 30x30 map with cruisers and super carriers. I am delusional and paranoid sure. All that specs that are needed for arma 3 to sit hours long in front of a 2 d monitor and listen to static and whales,dolphins

Sure and the underwater funny happy world that you will never see because you closed in a barrel.

But hey what do I know I am no Navy man I sure in the future there are glass subs where you can look around.

Take a cold shower you need to get back to realty.

Every other setting has been covered, and frankly there aren't enough near-futuristic games out there. Basically if you want to play a military simulator you have 3 options:

-Bolt-Action (WWII games)

-Selective Fire (Modern Warfare games)

-Lasers (Halo, Lost Planet, BF2142, etc.)

GRAW is basically the only near-futuristic game worth playing and it's more of a tactical shooter than a milsim. I think Bohemia's choice to go into a plausible futuristic environment without going crazy with it is a solid one. It's not like we've seen any equipment in these screenshots that doesn't exist, or anything else that would lead us to believe it will be less realistic than the last few entries in the series. This seems like a breath of fresh air in a market that is frankly oversaturated with modern warfare games, regardless of how realistic they are.

Modern submarine warfare would be boring as hell unless you were actually there, or commanding. I don't believe BIS are going to look much into making the crew jobs playable. But having an SSN on map with capabilities is something else altogether.

It could be far worse, it could have been this.

Dude, no!!!

Dont give them ideas

:cool:

sure kid naval warfare on a 30x30 map with cruisers and super carriers. I am delusional and paranoid sure. All that specs that are needed for arma 3 to sit hours long in front of a 2 d monitor and listen to static and whales,dolphins

Sure and the underwater funny happy world that you will never see because you closed in a barrel.

But hey what do I know I am no Navy man I sure in the future there are glass subs where you can look around.

Take a cold shower you need to get back to realty.

It would appear you have a severe case of PTSD. Killing people is not fun in real life, you want murder simulator, or a fun, genuine simulator-game, covering all bases, the future included?

Who was talking about battleships and destroyers? How about helo carriers, subs with SDV. Dude, inflatable Zodiacs down some mountain-valley terrain.

There's hundreds of games you can play if you want to shoot old guns with clattery gray ironsights. If you want to use newer guns without becoming a space marine or ramirez, then graw is basically all you have, which is more of a tactical shooter than a milsim.

ArmA 3 is going to be great, all of you sticklers can just stay with A2 or go back to CWC when it comes out :)