Sign in to follow this  
nightsta1ker

Environment (Seattle)

Considering that BIS's maps for ArmA have been fictional, and at least one of the maps for TOH is going to be fictional, I began to wonder what to expect from the Seattle area map. I live in Olympia and fly out of KBFI (Boeing Field) in Seattle as well as KS50 (Auburn Muni) just south of Seattle and know the area well. I presume the downtown skyline will be accurate, but what about the surronding environs and airports? I am curious, will KBFI, KSEA, KS50, KRNT all be there in full glory? Is there any comment yet on where the fictional base will be located for the game? Will it be at one of these hubs, or will it be stand alone somewhere else? I guess what I am asking is, what amount of liberty is being taken on the Seattle portion of the game? As a local, I will be sensitive to innacuracies of the area. Any comment from the Devs?

I make dirty grafic work from todays picture and old one and compare it with real google earth location. There is no heliport what I see, if I found right location at all :). I guess there could be some base in the game, I see some heliport on last picture.

heliport.jpg

Edited by BoboCZ

yeah : your present an other behind the scene scree !

see on the facebook page :yay:

Edited by darkiron

yeah : your present an other behind the scene scree !

see on the facebook page :yay:

What ARE you talking about Willis?

So I live in Rainier Beach, and I gotta say in one picture(I forget which) I saw the ballparks and the streets and everything and it looked pretty sick. But I am wondering if BIS is going to include Parks. Like there is Judkins Park in the CD, and Bobby Morris, and Madrona, and the I-90 bridge area as well. Cuz theres hella details that would be sick around I-90.

Unfortunately Seattle is 90 percent of the time cloudy and rainy.

Uh cloudy maybe..

The summer is pretty nice, typically high 70's to low 90's every day, that lasts late into the fall then it's 40-50 and cloudy again.

Haters gonna hate bro, this looks interesting, maybe I can land in my backyard or something..

I'm a helicopter pilot in the Seattle area and fly it every day.. ok I just had to say that.. but its true :)

I'm excited for this simulator!!! i cant wait for the zombie mod :)

Could play some cops and robbers might be fun as well.. Funny thing is.. I really am part of a company here that is trying to survive thru this recession and get contracts.. if you want you can use my name instead.. make it more realistic :)

Adammo

Capt Moore

seatac.jpg

picture taken the other day by me flying thru the VFR corridor over SEATTLE airport

Edited by Adammo

i cant wait for the zombie mod :)

The zombie DLC was an april fools joke bruh, sorry :D

Adammo worte "mod", not "DLC";)

Sam

Yes I know.. How ever based on the engine being useds chances are someone (a modder) will create a mod that will include them. i wasnt really refering to a BI studio mod :)

Edited by Adammo

As a Western Washington native, I'm definitely looking forward to this terrain :)

Pretty cool that BIS picked Seattle imo

Agreed, I just hope they don't butcher it. Based on shots so far, I'm not sure. They got the skyline right, I'm just worried about details like airports etc. I will be one VERY happy camper if I get to fly out of KBFI.

I am not so sure about that, given that BI some time cannot get things reasonablily correct...

I don't expect every building to be totally accurately placed or anything like that. But if the map is as big as they say it is, there are some major airports that are right there. If those are not present, well... taking that much liberty with the scenery would kind of make it pointless to try and replicate it.

Just be glad you are getting something loosely based on your home city :)

Having said that, you would think they would get the air-ports right if there are 4 large ones. Maybe not same layout, but same location and size, etc.

I'm tipping they might have to change a few things, and add some other stuff in for the sake of gaming value - eg. more hospitals to land at, etc.

Just be glad you are getting something loosely based on your home city :)

Having said that, you would think they would get the air-ports right if there are 4 large ones. Maybe not same layout, but same location and size, etc.

I'm tipping they might have to change a few things, and add some other stuff in for the sake of gaming value - eg. more hospitals to land at, etc.

They wouldn't have to take many liberties. There are plenty of things to do in the Seattle area. You have Boeing field just south of downtown. Then SEATAC about 5 miles south west of that. Harbor View Hospital heliport overhangs I5 which runs through the downtown area. There are a ton of helicopters at Renton at the south end of lake union, a stones throw from downtown on the other side of the eastern ridgeline. I constantly see helicopters zipping around all over the place. Everything from flight training to law enforcement/EMS to news gathering and more. It's a busy place for helicopters.

I don't expect every building to be totally accurately placed or anything like that. But if the map is as big as they say it is, there are some major airports that are right there. If those are not present, well... taking that much liberty with the scenery would kind of make it pointless to try and replicate it.

I beg to differ

Just look at Liberty City in GTA IV (or any other city in the GTA serie). Clearly inspired by a real city that you can recognise almost instantly but they are not 100% accurate. Some changes were made to fit the game/gameplay requirements.

I beg to differ

Just look at Liberty City in GTA IV (or any other city in the GTA serie). Clearly inspired by a real city that you can recognise almost instantly but they are not 100% accurate. Some changes were made to fit the game/gameplay requirements.

Hence why they called it Liberty City.

Look, we're all entitled to an opinion, and I am not saying yours is wrong. It IS a game after all. My opinion, as a real helicopter pilot that flies in the Seattle area, is that they wouldn't need to change it much in order to make fun and immersive. Now, considering most helicopters operate from airports (ease of maintenance, proper facilities etc.) I don't feel like they would need to create a fictional heliport as the players home base (they could put a fictional hanger at an airport or something, that would be more realistic) but if they do because that is what works for gameplay, thats fine. Why ADD fictional hospitals when there are real ones in the area that serve the purpose? I'm just saying, all the pieces are already there. They don't need to create new ones to make the game work.