Sign in to follow this  
ArmAriffic

ArmA 2 site hacked

I wish our designated adventurer could send a helmet cam live feed so we could follow his progress... where is he right now...I wonder

He's stuck in one of the many holes on the Czech roads, but they send a UAZ to pull him out so its ok :wink_o:

11806215326Yn49h.jpg

Bonus vid is bonus,

0NT55HbiWW4

.Taffy, have we ever seen similar terrain with VR engine? Check out the curvature & elevation of the roads, straight out of [Outerra] or [procedural generation of any type].

3zL-2jNdknQ

;)

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

It cant be Outera - too much work for BIS , i doubt they will leave their RV engine and change into other

It cant be Outera - too much work for BIS , i doubt they will leave their RV engine and change into other

HMS Astute spotted at 0:18,

6KhFBES0o0g

trollface-emoticon-4.gif

Good luck UnuldorCZ and Godspeed!

@Schancky

Although I'm not sure what at this stage what an announcement for ArmA3 using Outerra has to do with a hole near Krasnostav and HMS Astute, there is proimise in what you suggest.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/31/exclusive-interview-bohemia-interactive-talks-take-on-helicopters/

In the above PC Gamer interview (incidentally even PC Gamer have picked up on this hacker story) it suggests developments in Take On Helicopters could find it's way into "future installments of the ArmA series". Perhaps, just perhaps, if they were to use Outerra in ArmA 3 they would need their own higher quality flight model.....

Good little interview, cheers!

Well presumably if it were to b e used it would be an overhaul, as in they would drop VR. Though I'm no expert in the possibilities of engines and so on so maybe I'm just being optimistic....;)

Oh and thanks for the Take On vid Iroquois Pliskin I hadn't seen that one

Tbf, is it just me or does it look like Take on Helicopters is using something similar to Outerra for terrain? Just from that trailer above?

Quote from PC gamer on TOH interview:

PCG: Is your approach to terrain modeling in Take On identical to that of Arma 2, to take satellite-modeled data and tweak it to your purposes?

JC: Terrain on the scale of our American and South Asian worlds has required new technology and a re-evaluation of our map-making pipeline. For our games, we’ve never attempted to make anything this extensive, but–in simple terms–sure, we still take our data and apply careful tweaks, and yea, it still takes an eye-watering amount of time to get them fit for purpose! However, we’ve got some interesting new features in progress–in terms of the actual terrain and the human and physical ‘environment’ more generally – that we’re really looking forward to being able to showcase as development continues. Terrain normal-mapping alone is an exciting new feature currently under development, which has the capacity to change the way our environments “feel.â€

Could ArmA benefit form this "New technology"?

EDIT:

And also:

PCG: Is Bohemia working on any engine improvements/optimizations to the Arma engine for it to be tailored for Take On?

JC: Nailing down the helicopter experience demands a lot of work in terms of adding brand new features, refining more familiar ones, and optimising the game for flying helicopters. The buzzwords circulating around our studios alone goes some way to reveal the extent of the work at hand: picture in picture, increased view- and draw-distance, interactive cockpits, sling loads. But perhaps we’ve said enough for now! In fact, another cool aspect of Take On project is that it’ll allow us to look at improving various aspects of our simulation technology that could potentially be integrated into some possible future games with a much larger scope.

Edited by Schancky

Bonus vid is bonus,

.Taffy, have we ever seen similar terrain with VR engine? Check out the curvature & elevation of the roads, straight out of [Outerra] or [procedural generation of any type].

;)

this engine makes me go completely crazy atm :eek:

but i think the detailed terrain in the toh video is possible with arma engine, because many other details can be left out for a flight sim...

but i desperately hope its outerra :pray:

My thoughs are that there has been a lot of discussion on the net about how the devs of Outerra were approached by a "milsim" company about developing a new game (http://www.battle.no/?section=news&nid=606)

Comments made 1 hour ago on Outerra's Youtube Channel :

cameni47, could you comment whether there are any commercial games currently in development with the use of this engine? Wink, wink. ;)

@z0nt21 Um, well, let's say there may be some, in early phases though. But I have a great fun reading various forums like bistudio's and the rumors that are being spun there :-)

Tbf, is it just me or does it look like Take on Helicopters is using something similar to Outerra for terrain? Just from that trailer above?

Outerra is game engine - not a terrain system for other engines

That terrain is created by newest Visitor program /devs version - mostly like VBS2 Visitor , they created with it a Takistan , Chernarus and other bis land/

Edited by RobertHammer

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/31/exclusive-interview-bohemia-interactive-talks-take-on-helicopters/

Evan Lahti: Why helicopters?

Jay Crowe, Creative Lead: Helicopters are awesome and were always an important part of our games. That aside, taking on a clear focus is something that really excites us, but–in truth–it’s also a little daunting! Combined-arms warfare has been the linchpin of the Real Virtuality engine for over a decade now. Taking one small aspect, stripping it out and completely rebuilding it with focus and attention–that’s a pretty motivating challenge.

Evan Lahti: Why helicopters?

Jay Crowe, Creative Lead: Helicopters are awesome and were always an important part of our games. That aside, taking on a clear focus is something that really excites us, but–in truth–it’s also a little daunting! Combined-arms warfare has been the linchpin of the Real Virtuality engine for over a decade now. Taking one small aspect, stripping it out and completely rebuilding it with focus and attention–that’s a pretty motivating challenge.

All what I'm saying is just speculation, just ideas :)

All what I'm saying is just speculation, just ideas :)

Could be a major engine/SDK update, I haven't seen procedural generation in Arma, apart from the border regions of the islands, which is PG with minimal properties.

So at the moment we have:

A submarine

A hole in the ground

A propaganda billboard

And fleeting suggestions of an engine overhaul...

There has to be a link somewhere!

The only thing I can see for sure is some sort of continuation of the armaverse's story.

I wont go onto all the fuzz about that youtube comment through, as it seems the creator of Outerra engine get some inspiration from RV engine, he might even be some silent old OFP player as well.

I wont go onto all the fuzz about that youtube comment through, as it seems the creator of Outerra engine get some inspiration from RV engine, he might even be some silent old OFP player as well.

Procedural generation is PG. That engine is on OpenGL by the way. You start with scratch, a formula, some equations & then build up a landmass and see what works, and what doesn't, I don't think this is the way OFP got started. I'm probably wrong. :p

h7eREddMjt4

Minute 5 onward. Infinity Engine for a Sci-fi Space MMO.

Well he's been following this thread within the last hour as seen on the youtube comment so he must have some connection :confused:

So at the moment we have:

A submarine

A hole in the ground

A propaganda billboard

And fleeting suggestions of an engine overhaul...

There has to be a link somewhere!

The only thing I can see for sure is some sort of continuation of the armaverse's story.

Haha! Amazing isn't it, the minds of ArmA community members knows no bounds.

On the Take On Helicopters point, unless they're being purposefully cagey, there is plenty to suggest they won't be changing engines. Though the point I suggested, hinted at, made wild speculation for, was that TOH was BIS laying the groundworks for a move to Outerra.

As speculative as that may be, can you imagine the reaction of the various related communities if it were announced? It would be phenomenal!

I'm 99% sure that they get some inspiration from the RV engine, because the first time I saw videos from their engine I thought that BIS was developing it, but it may be because both engines share the same "environment" and idea. Outrerra is Slovakian if I'm not mistaken so it has that Czechoslovak feeling to it like RV, I don't know how to explain it.

EDIT:

Well he's been following this thread within the last hour as seen on the youtube comment so he must have some connection :confused:

That too

Ain't we all are?:rolleyes:

the outerra engine is really good, but for arma ? i dont know. if you go forward to 10min in this video , you see the trucks enter the dirt-road. if you look closely , the trees are turning like years ago, towards you. seems they are bitmap ! we had that in ofp in 2001. i dont wanna go back.

also the maps are not detailed as arma maps. no houses to go in, less cover in open field.

its to early for this kind of maps like in outerra t obe detailed like we know it already in arma. think about what kind of system you have to get ;)

i think its no way for outerra and arma.

the outerra engine is really good, but for arma ? i dont know. if you go forward to 10min in this video , you see the trucks enter the dirt-road. if you look closely , the trees are turning like years ago, towards you. seems they are bitmap ! we had that in ofp in 2001. i dont wanna go back.

also the maps are not detailed as arma maps. no houses to go in, less cover in open field.

its to early for this kind of maps like in outerra t obe detailed like we know it already in arma. think about what kind of system you have to get ;)

i think its no way for outerra and arma.

One word, Alpha.