Sign in to follow this  
Feint

Diving Under Water

I just meant: We could use these IR_Strobes for MP-missions where we can make a "Path" uw for our divers if we want to make the seas as a way to get around for us only,and disable the waterways for other swimmers by mining them to others,we can use them to show our divers the way.We disable their NV and we can go deep so they can`t see us

Maybe we can add IR Strobes that can be visable only to low flying helicopters through the water to mark where our CRRC is,or put it attach_to a

line,used to alert to where a particular individual is located.

A Flashlight with a Red Lens Cover,that makes it extra bright with NV?with a "coded" flashing singnal strobe( for spying and such).

It`s a little bit off topic,but I would want it in the diver section anyway.It`s COOL!:confused:

What about a "Dive Buddy"-system? Connect them with a rope to make sure they can stay together in murky waters-I allso want a Direction finder gadget if we get seperated+SOS function.

John1000, you're such a spammer, man. LOL :) Thanks for your enthusiasm, but I have all of the ideas I can handle at this point.

Back on topic:

I'm moving a lot of the stuff from this mod to Arma3. I'll probably end up making a new thread in the Arma3 section when I have a chance to make a video. If I do, I'll link to it from here.

FYI, here's what I've got working in Arma3 so far:

-dive computer and all functions

-added new functions to dive computer

-DCS (decompression sickness) is working

-Oxygen Toxicity is working (need to figure out how to add ragdoll) <-- HELP!

-Nitrogen Narcosis is working (need to add visual effects)

-Dive Station is working

-Added all 7 dive gasses to the rebreather (fake but more fun)

-I still have all of the open circuit SCUBA code, but there aren't any SCUBA tanks in Arma3, so it's not being utilized for now

-Disabled/dropped the following:

--underwater strobe

--underwater headlamp (I'm hoping BIS will add a legitimate working-underwater gun light to rifles which will be much better than what I can do)

--underwater flare (need more small objects added to the game first) <-- I hope to add this back in later

--SDV (one is coming from BIS hopefully soon but I'd like to get this one in A3 if I can figure out how)

--buddy breathing (hope to add this back in soon)

--surface/underwater aiming (added by BIS)

--surface/underwater grenade throw (added by BIS)

--buoy line (I might add this in later with chemlights and flags)

Edited by Feint

John1000, you're such a spammer, man. LOL :) Thanks for your enthusiasm, but I have all of the ideas I can handle at this point.

Back on topic:

I'm moving a lot of the stuff from this mod to Arma3. I'll probably end up making a new thread in the Arma3 section when I have a chance to make a video. If I do, I'll link to it from here.

That sucks to hear. Was really looking forward to see this mod for A2 where it's more needed than in A3.

So far for diving in A2 then :(

--surface/underwater grenade throw (added by BIS)

May want to keep that one, it was posted as a bug on the A3 Alpha tracker and was reported back it was going to be 'fixed' in the future.

That sucks to hear. Was really looking forward to see this mod for A2 where it's more needed than in A3.

Agreed, perhaps the core functions could be brought back to A2 while development is continued to A3.

Sorry for my misleading writing style. What I was saying that I am adding work to my plate. I have no intention to stop A2:CO development of the Underwater Diving Module. I mean, to me, the whole point was to add diving to A2 which didn't have it. All the other stuff I added was secondary.

So what I'm saying is that I am ADDING a new project...Underwater Diving Module for A3. I will still continue to work on UDM for A2. Hopefully, as with all of my different projects, working on another project will help give me ideas for problem solving for this project. Like, working on the RQ-11 helped me figure out how to make displays for UDM. And my marker tracking scripts in UDM were used in RQ-11. But either way, thanks for your support and encouragement to keep working on this for A2. :)

May want to keep that one, it was posted as a bug on the A3 Alpha tracker and was reported back it was going to be 'fixed' in the future.

Agreed, perhaps the core functions could be brought back to A2 while development is continued to A3.

Crapola. I think throwing grenades underwater is fine. Who posted that as a bug? The grenades go slowly through the water. Now, underwater explosions, those need to be worked on probably. From my research, being anywhere near an underwater explosion would certainly kill you as the force gets magnified much greater through water than it does through air. So you would certainly be killed by a grenade's "overpressure" before any fragments hit you.

Anyway, update time. I've pretty much nailed "Buddy Breathing" in A3. It's given me some ideas for how to do it in Arma2 as well. It's something one of the actual scuba divers on here asked me to implement a VERY long time ago. The nice thing about Arma3 is that I can just swap vests with the person I am buddy breathing with and the engine takes care of all of the breath holding automatically. I've yet to test it, but I'll test it tonight. I want to get that and one other thing working before I make a new video. But if I can't get the other thing working, I'll just post a video about the buddy breathing and the general features. Stay tuned.

BTW, official apologies for the length of time it has taken me to finish this project. Real world problems sucked and for a while I was dating a girl who gave me no time for Arma. She's gone now so it's back to Arma, my true companion. ;P

Phew, got it all wrong then. Great to hear this still will be in my favorite game.

No need to apologize, we all do our stuff in our free time and hey - dating girls is more interesting than working on a Mod, usually at least. :p

Both can be a pain though for sure.

Really pleased your still doing this for A2, it would have been a shame to not have decent diving in the game..

Could you not consider staying celibate, until its completed.. ;)

:)

I've been playing with A1 and A2 maps inside A3 and diving in them... I've found almost all of them lack the depth and topography in the "oceans" that would be required for truly cool underwater scenarios... I've only played a little though. Mostly in Chernarus and Sahrani.

Would LOVE to have diving in Arma2.. Keep up the good work!

I've been playing with A1 and A2 maps inside A3 and diving in them... I've found almost all of them lack the depth and topography in the "oceans" that would be required for truly cool underwater scenarios... I've only played a little though. Mostly in Chernarus and Sahrani.

Would LOVE to have diving in Arma2.. Keep up the good work!

Yeah, most of the maps don't have details in their undersea environments. But now that that additional capability is opening up for A2 maps, I'm sure map makers will want to add more detail to sea floors.

When you ported the maps over, did the sea life show up on the A2 maps? I was wondering about that.

UPDATE: I tested and retested buddy breathing last night. I had the hardest time figuring out what I was doing wrong until I tracked it down to one variable that I had written wrong. Ug. Spent like an hour trying other solutions. Anyway, I shot a video of it working last night and it's so cool. I'll post it tonight after I get done with my regular stupid job responsibilities. Haha.

Yeah, most of the maps don't have details in their undersea environments. But now that that additional capability is opening up for A2 maps, I'm sure map makers will want to add more detail to sea floors.

When you ported the maps over, did the sea life show up on the A2 maps? I was wondering about that.

UPDATE: I tested and retested buddy breathing last night. I had the hardest time figuring out what I was doing wrong until I tracked it down to one variable that I had written wrong. Ug. Spent like an hour trying other solutions. Anyway, I shot a video of it working last night and it's so cool. I'll post it tonight after I get done with my regular stupid job responsibilities. Haha.

I'm in diving nerd love with this mod... I love that diving is in the alpha... but this is SOO great. I have to read through the whole thread before I post questions or suggestions... but I'm REALLY excited for this... I'd LOVE to add this to my DayZ Sahrani project when it's released... diving for helicrashes would be AMAZING!! Floating zombies anyone? OI!

On the sea life... nope, unfortunately they do not spawn automatically... although I will play with it more.. you can check out my youtube channel for more vids of it in A3... I have 2 or 3 diving videos in there... One on Sahrani (skip to ~20 seconds for diving) and one on Stratis...

Your readout of depth etc is already more robust than the A3 stuff! No depth readout!

I want to get the bends lol!

This is SUCH an awesome project...

I know it's a complete departure from the spirit of the mod.. .but I wonder if you could do something like this for simulating underground bases.... must read whole thread.

For those of you interested, here is the new thread I created for the Arma3 version of the Underwater Diving Module:

mod_underwaterdiving3.png

---------- Post added at 23:41 ---------- Previous post was at 23:35 ----------

I want to get the bends lol!

This is SUCH an awesome project...

I know it's a complete departure from the spirit of the mod.. .but I wonder if you could do something like this for simulating underground bases.... must read whole thread.

Thanks for the kind feedback. Right now, when you get DCS or the bends, I just have you get damaged. But I think I might play and action that looks like the bends once every few seconds. I have to find an animation that will play both on land and while swimming which will take some time to do. So I'll probably postpone that cool little detail until later. I don't want to do too much to delay the release.

Can you explain your underground base idea? I don't understand. Are you talking about the sort of underground stuff that the DayZ Dev Team is doing?

I think with a similar system you could have a trigger to enter a "pond" that really is just a transition to the interior of an otherwise invisible building... So once go "down" into it you get dumped out in a building that has an interior... it would simulate having an underground bunker or building/base.

OR

Instead of triggering the swimming and putting you in a body of water, it could trigger you to crawl and you could navigate through tunnel systems...

If you can crack the ocean floor by working around it, there just has to be a way to work around not being able to breach the ground...

I'm really not skilled or experienced enough to know for sure, but it seems like a logical step.

I think with a similar system you could have a trigger to enter a "pond" that really is just a transition to the interior of an otherwise invisible building... So once go "down" into it you get dumped out in a building that has an interior... it would simulate having an underground bunker or building/base.

OR

Instead of triggering the swimming and putting you in a body of water, it could trigger you to crawl and you could navigate through tunnel systems...

If you can crack the ocean floor by working around it, there just has to be a way to work around not being able to breach the ground...

I'm really not skilled or experienced enough to know for sure, but it seems like a logical step.

I`ve think what you want is "_Snap_to_surface " command.That way you`re able to put you`re house beneath the seafloor or inside shipwrecks and so on.:cool:

Is the mod down?
Perhaps Feint is busy, im sure he will post when he has some news.

Perhaps Feint is busy, im sure he will post when he has some news.

Exactly :)

You can "Like" my facebook page and see what I'm working on. Right now, I'm concentrating on the RQ-11B Raven addon which is almost finished. After that, I need to figure out why the heck I can't get this one thing to work with the underwater mines. I wish I knew trig better. I'm sure there's a simple solution if I was just better at trig.

What "one thing" with underwater mines? THe underwater mines I made?

Will this underwater module be released for arma II soon?

Nice project.

Have made you a small invisible pond addon which should hopefully do what you need. It's not editor placeable as I thought that would be tidier and also encourage you to create it dynamically and only on the client that needs it. So you can't see it or place it but you can test its existence by placing Player on Utes runway and adding to the init:

("SCUBA_Pond" CreateVehicleLocal [0, 0, 0]) SetPos GetPos this;

where i can download this "SCUBA_Pond"?