Sign in to follow this  
Dionysos

The future of operation flashpoint

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/april02/bf1942/1.jpg

The greatest Flashpoint mod ever made, with pure photo realism, decent skin textures, B-17s and knives? Not, its the forth coming Battlefield: 1942.

This game is amazing by its preview videos allowing any theatre of the second world war, battle ships submarines, fight on the beaches at D-Day but for either side, or fight at Guadalcanal or at the bloodbath of Stalingrad. Any weapon, any vehicle, total freedom. I think its authors copied Flashpoint and corrected all its faults.

No this is not an anti-Flashpoint topic, it is just encouragement for BIS to put in some proper textures, not just for the new resistance, but, take the hand textures for example, or the "water" textures, awful, ugly, hideous they were, not even ancient Hidden and Dangerous was that bad. What we need is more attention to detail. All us gamers want is knives, flamethrowers, submarines, hovercrafts, decent water (like in the Delta Force series.)

Grrrr images over 100kb in size should not be posted.

Hmm isn't this the game where the video shows a plane being shot down by a rifle?

What size are the maps being fought on? Who cares about the lil things if we're stuck in a lil corridor as with MOH etc smile.gif

will probably lag like a bitch

for the record

few gamers want the things you mentioned

i have seen a few people request knives

i have seen maybe one person request a flamethrower and quickly got flamed

the submarine is useless since there isn't any underwater combat, and what are you going to do, sink the PBR?

hovercraft...who cares

decent water, again, who really cares. this isn't run at full speed firing your FN-MAG and hitting things dead on DF3, real infantry don't just slap on a snorkel and grab their underwater dart gun and go hunting.

"Hmm isn't this the game where the video shows a plane being shot down by a rifle?"

I've done this with the sniper rifle a few times in flashpoint too and the little things make up everything!

"the submarine is useless since there isn't any underwater combat"

If Flashpoint really is as good as we say it is we should have vast fully manned battleships which should be sunk by the submarines. Who says we should stick to simple islands, why not great seas and countries and whole continents!

We could even make the entire world!

More choice is more realism if BF:1942 offers it, why doesn't Flashpoint?

umm let's see maybe because it would take decades to make detailed terrains of the entire world?

OFP is an INFANTRY game, not a naval simulator. if they wasted their time redesigning the entire engine they would lose many customers

"3 sonar get in sub" sure sounds like fun to me

"OFP is an INFANTRY game, not a naval simulator."

THERE ARE NO RULES AS TO WHAT FLASHPOINT SHOULD BE.

It can be whatever people want it to be. Make it not a simulator but more of "an alternate reality"

a couple of things i picked up on the forum for battlefield 42 were

1 the map size is anything up to 6000 x6000 meters

2 whilst flying, in order to refuel or pick up passengers u just fly low over the top of either and it auto happens ( pathetic imo)

3 most of those waiting for battlefield 42 are ww2 online folks ( god help us)

i was kinda looking forward to it till i read that and some other gumph =[[[

settle down beavis

i really feel sorry for anyone who needs an alternate reality, i'm sure we should also add prostitutes now. i can just imagine the action menu.

somehow i don't think the "people" share your ideas. anyone working on a space shuttle mod? biggrin.gif

You guys ever play that Shuttle Simulator? It's really old but quite real(I wouldn't know). Before taking off you'd have the option to wait the real 24 hrs. or 5 hrs. or whatever it is. It's dull, landing's a bitch since it's nearly impossible. Really old dos-based game if I remember. Can't recall the name.

Battlefield 1942 looks like it could be a pretty good game but I hardly think it will replace OFP. The textures of BF1942 look way too WWII online'ish. "photo-real"confused.gif They look kind of cartoonish if you ask me.

As long as BIS and the fan community keeps pumping out add-ons and upgrades. There are no limits to where OFP can go. My bet is that OFP will still dominate for at least a couple of more years.

I remember that Shuttle game, after you launch you had to open the Bay doors to cool it down, it had like 5 million buttons and I always managed to burn up coming home from what I remember, but still crazy sim for back them, it was pretty cool just pressing buttons and having no idea what they do.

Also another amazing game years ago was called Carrier Command, Amiga and PC, I don't think many people will know about this game, but there was 2 futuristic Aircraft carriers and a massive map 100 Island, the idea was to track down the enemy Carrier while setting up a supply infrastructure, it was really amazing...far to complex to explain...

I believe Battlefield 1942 gonna be a good game, but it will never replace OFP for me!

while we're on the topic of space shuttles, i played space sim the other day, i think it was from like 95, i stole a space station and sent it flying into the sun biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordZach @ May 16 2002,16:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">while we're on the topic of space shuttles, i played space sim the other day, i think it was from like 95, i stole a space station and sent it flying into the sun biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Could that be modded into ofp? :-)

Battlefield 1942 looks like a lot of fun. I can't wait.

But that's the thing: BF 1942's emphasis is on the "arcade fun" aspect, not the realism OFP fans have come to expect. Even the developers have said this. So they are going for two different things.

However, OFP's engine literally makes anything possible. Who cares if some people don't like the idea of hovercrafts? I hope someone makes one someday, because I can think of a couple cool missions I could make involving an amphibious assault or an arial raid on a hovercraft convoy.

The beauty of OFP is that it a virtual representation of reality, and can be changed and added to at will.

OFP is supposed to be a game about war. However, last night I spent at least an hour playing a really fun battle rally map, driving a tank at crazy speeds, running over civs and opponent racers (in jeeps and trucks), and having a blast. It had Metallica's "Fuel" blaring in the background, and had a totally different feel to it than any mission I've played in OFP before, because it was so much faster.

THAT is why I love this game. You never know what's coming next.

biggrin.gif  Well said 762WorldOrder!!! When talking about realism in this game, the ability to select from a wide range of land, sea and air units adds and compliments the mission designer's  vision to creat a "what if " scenario.

People who share the idea of expanding the limits of this game to new frontiers, should be given a round of applause to begin with.

If you truly want a game to survive, diversity and the ability to choose, among other things, are concepts for any gamers "personal" or "alternate reality". To the unbelievers, give it a chance before you shoot it down. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Seventh @ May 16 2002,16:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I remember that Shuttle game, after you launch you had to open the Bay doors to cool it down, it had like 5 million buttons and I always managed to burn up coming home from what I remember, but still crazy sim for back them, it was pretty cool just pressing buttons and having no idea what they do.

Also another amazing game years ago was called Carrier Command, Amiga and PC, I don't think many people will know about this game, but there was 2 futuristic Aircraft carriers and a massive map 100 Island, the idea was to track down the enemy Carrier while setting up a supply infrastructure, it was really amazing...far to complex to explain...<span id='postcolor'>

Hehe, I remember Carrier Command, it's one of my all time favourite games. I used to have it for my Spectrum 128 tounge.gif

I found it totally engrossing, and it's what got me into sims in the first place.

Ahhhhhh those were the days .................... wink.gif

Is OPF BIS's only game??

I would love to see what else they got.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Seventh @ May 16 2002,16:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also another amazing game years ago was called Carrier Command, Amiga and PC, I don't think many people will know about this game, but there was 2 futuristic Aircraft carriers and a massive map 100 Island, the idea was to track down the enemy Carrier while setting up a supply infrastructure, it was really amazing...far to complex to explain...<span id='postcolor'>

Now that you mention it I do remember that game!…I had totally forgot about it. It was a really great game!! I played it a lot on my Amiga.

To see how Battlefield: 1942 compares to OFP ....see this E3 Trailer

Battlefield: 1942 E3 Trailer

Looks like it could have some promise. Nice selection of stuff, but I wonder about it's arcadiness. Good for a look folks.

.:iXnay

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ May 16 2002,12:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">3 most of those waiting for battlefield 42 are ww2 online folks ( god help us)<span id='postcolor'>

The difference tween ww2ol, and ofp, is teamwork, most of the time if somebody in ofp says 'hey, get in the tank and gun for me' its cool

with ww2ol...it was one big ffa...sucked

Do we prefer a fictional Cold War simulation or a 'real' World War two experience, which is most appealing. I actually like the idea of Romans, Greeks, Egyptians and Vikings and mythology, may be B.I.S could may something along the lines of Operation Golden Fleece or something where you travel with Jason & the Argonauts to Colchis, or fight against Hannibal and his elephants, or play as the Great Herakles, or follow the wine drinking horde of Dionysos, or play as a deity or fight great battles to become immortal etc. With all the monsters and deities from ancient mythologies this would be great, imagine the tension even when running through an eerie mist-shrouded forest, and Medusa jumps out at you! Fighting in chariots and Triremes. A first person Age of Empires!