Sign in to follow this  
Darkhorse 1-6

Japan hit by 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami

Good luck, stay away from the fucking beach, and remember that the incoming tsunami wave is bigger than some Pacific islands.

@anybody from japan- good luck guys

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

Non believer, but prayers to all people there anyway

Huh? Have you seen the pictures from the 30 foot waves that just hit Japan?

*rings hand bell, dons cardboard sign saying "The end is nigh!" as "Its the end of the world as we know it" plays from a nearby car stereo*

Very sad news to see all those pics and videos. The devastation is tremendous again :(

(I hope I spelled that correct).

If I would pray my prayers would be for those people, now all I do is hope for the best.

just heard the news. that sucks, man. we're supposed to see some waves even way the heck over here, on the west coast.

Westcoast? You better hope that you are not anywhere near there when an earthquake hits san francisco

Westcoast? You better hope that you are not anywhere near there when an earthquake hits san francisco

This was a preview of what a cascadian megathrust earthquake would do along the Washington Oregon coast. Nothing of this magnitude could really happen in Cali... :(

Sadly no state in the US is as prepared as the Japanese are, when the government tells them they should put together a survival kit and rehearse evacuation plans they do it, not sit around saying they'll be fine, like we do here... :(

Yes thats true, if the japanese wouldn´t be so well prepared for an earthquake, this would have been a lot worse today

Well it seems (so far anyway) that the only waves to have reached Hawaii are small (c. 1m) so with a bit of luck the west coast of the US will be ok.

Seems the same can't be said for Japan, with regards to Zipper's post the 4 NPP's that needed to be have all been shut down successfully. You'd hope that the Japanese are as prepared as any nation could be (seeing as they get so many quakes).

Don't know if anyone saw the pictures but there was a whirlpool created out at sea, a truly incredible thing so behold, especially the scale of the thing.

Good luck to anyone involved.

Well it seems (so far anyway) that the only waves to have reached Hawaii are small (c. 1m) so with a bit of luck the west coast of the US will be ok.

Seems the same can't be said for Japan, with regards to Zipper's post the 4 NPP's that needed to be have all been shut down successfully. You'd hope that the Japanese are as prepared as any nation could be (seeing as they get so many quakes).

Don't know if anyone saw the pictures but there was a whirlpool created out at sea, a truly incredible thing so behold, especially the scale of the thing.

Good luck to anyone involved.

There really isn't any better country in the world in terms of earthquake preparedness... I just got back from the Kobe/Osaka and the Kokura/Fukuoka region on Monday and was paying attention to the retrofitting and actual original construction for earthquakes and its pretty amazing. The US does a good job, especially in the Pacific Northwest and California, but Japan is on a whole other level.

If this had been off the coast of Washington/Oregon or California I can imagine the death toll being 10 fold what it will be in Japan, and if it were off the coast of any other country, easily 100 fold (besides maybe Chile, which underwent an earthquake around this size a few months ago and suffered I believe under 1000 fatalities, though the Tsunami there was rather small).

"Fukushima update: Japanese authorities will release radioactive vapor to ease pressure at nuclear reactor."

Not to mention that several trains are MIA...

I was a supporter of nuke energy, but on second thought...

Fukushima-nuclear-power-p-008.jpg

Yeah, lets build a nuclear energy plant right next to the coast. lol

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

jr4cua.png

Is this a coincidence?

Its just been reported that another cooling reactor is failing, in a different power station.

I feel really sorry for the people that have to deal with this.

From watching the news for a lot of the day, The scene where the tsunami is moving across farmlands and vehicles are trying to drive away. It very much looks like one doesnt manage to get out of the way. The panic and horror must be petrifying

@Hans - Oh snap! Japan, Papua New Guinea, and Myanmar must have been secretly collaborating on a project codenamed "Earthshaker", with the ultimate goal of destabilizing the communist regime in China.

(All joking aside, I had no idea that there were that many earthquakes today. I do believe that a volcano erupted, and they believe it was caused by the main Japanese one, but I didn't know about the others)

Also, isn't it a little bit better to build a nuclear reactor near water, so that they can use seawater in case they have a coolant leak/coolant failure or whatever it would be called?

@Cannonous - It didn't get away in time. Every video I see of the actual wave and the water is horrifying.

Its just been reported that another cooling reactor is failing, in a different power station.

I feel really sorry for the people that have to deal with this.

From watching the news for a lot of the day, The scene where the tsunami is moving across farmlands and vehicles are trying to drive away. It very much looks like one doesnt manage to get out of the way. The panic and horror must be petrifying

Reminds me of 1986. The technicians in Chernobyl had less time due to the contruction, but the problem is the same...parts of the reactor core in Fukushime Daiishi are already lieing dry. Radiation level has rised 1000 fold already and they are venting steam from the reactor core to the outside. A controlled blowout basically and not going to happen without radioaktive leaks.

I had never exspected to hear something like that in my lifetime again after 1986.

Teh area is evacuated by now, a meltdown is not impossible anymore.

news is from 03-12 0:15 and from one of the most serious TV channels in germany. You may use a translator for the text as there is no english version.

http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/fukushima106.html

Edited by Beagle

US man dies taking tsunami photos

All the way across the Pacific ocean and someone still died from a wave. Granted part of it was due to him being in a bad place at a bad time.

Was this an actual wave caused by the earthquake or just the news trying to pass off someone getting too close to the water during a wind storm?

All the reports I'm seeing on the west coast of Canada is that nothing really happened. incoming waves were no big deal.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/11/tsunami/index.html?hpt=T1

"We had one person reported missing who has been confirmed dead," Young said. "The Coast Guard has been doing a search for the body, but the oceanic conditions are making it very difficult."

Sounds to me like a storm is going on and thats what happened. Nothing but the usual idiots who get swept out of sea every year getting too close to the water on breakwaters, cliffs and such.

Edited by jblackrupert

Also, isn't it a little bit better to build a nuclear reactor near water, so that they can use seawater in case they have a coolant leak/coolant failure or whatever it would be called?

Knowing that a 100 mile fault line lies just about 60+ miles off the shore?

But in true media fashion, I keep getting different accounts that the tsunami had a lot do with the problem that the one nuke facility (in the picture I posted) is experiencing and another said the problem had nothing to do with the tsunami.

Was this an actual wave caused by the earthquake or just the news trying to pass off someone getting too close to the water during a wind storm?

All the reports I'm seeing on the west coast of Canada is that nothing really happened. incoming waves were no big deal.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/11/tsunami/index.html?hpt=T1

"We had one person reported missing who has been confirmed dead," Young said. "The Coast Guard has been doing a search for the body, but the oceanic conditions are making it very difficult."

Sounds to me like a storm is going on and thats what happened. Nothing but the usual idiots who get swept out of sea every year getting too close to the water on breakwaters, cliffs and such.

The article says its from the Tsunami I believe. I'm not sure though. I like how he is confirmed dead but they haven't found the body. I suppose that might be based on temperature though.