Sign in to follow this  
abs

iPad 2 Announcement.

Source: Everywhere on the Internet.

What do you guys think? It's not available in Canada until the 26th of March, so I have until then to decide whether or not I should pick one up.

Would you get one? Is the 2 worth the cash, or should I just pick up the cheaper iPad?

Abs

I had the original 64gb iPad and sold it as didn't feel it worth it for my needs - felt too constrained as well. iPad 2 updates aren't exactly surprising, incremental updates that I feel won't stack up so well against competing and upcoming products. I'll be getting a Xoom hopefully.

That's not to say that the iPad 2 won't sell well, it will but that doesn't mean to say its the best :)

Honestly, I'm sick of Apple's business policy. I only own an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1, and they are the last (and first) things I will buy from them for the foreseeable future.

With Apple, you're not paying for the product, you're paying for the logo that's on the product imo.

I had the original 64gb iPad and sold it as didn't feel it worth it for my needs - felt too constrained as well. iPad 2 updates aren't exactly surprising, incremental updates that I feel won't stack up so well against competing and upcoming products. I'll be getting a Xoom hopefully.

That's not to say that the iPad 2 won't sell well, it will but that doesn't mean to say its the best :)

What did you use it for mostly? I kinda want to get one for reading and watching videos in bed. I'm just curious about what your needs were, and how you were consrtained.

PS: If you get the Xoom you might want to check out this article about malware in Android apps: http://lifehacker.com/#!5775342/how-to-protect-your-android-against-more-than-50-malware-apps

Honestly, I'm sick of Apple's business policy. I only own an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1, and they are the last (and first) things I will buy from them for the foreseeable future.

What's wrong with their business policy? I'm assuming you're referring to the frequency with which updates come out. (ie: The once a year product updates.)

We see it with computers all the time. New video cards, motherboards, hard drives...

We even see it with cars.

Yes, nobody upgrades their computer all the time, nor do they buy a new car every year...and on that same note, who says that you have to have the latest iteration of the iPad/Pod/Phone?

I just don't see a problem with it.

With Apple, you're not paying for the product, you're paying for the logo that's on the product imo.

Sure, you pay a premium with every well known brand name. Going back to the car analogy, a Mercedes doesn't cost as little as a Honda Civic. They're both cars...they both drive...but the Mercedes is a luxury brand, and those who buy it are aware of what they're doing.

Premiums are even paid with computers too. Alien brand computers, Sony Viao's, etc...

This isn't anything new, nor is it a business model pioneered by Apple. I don't see why it should be related specifically with Apple.

Abs

It's the same policy Activision has with the Call of Duty franchise. Do you see a problem with that?

I've got an iPhone for half a year right now. I never thought that I'd use something like that, but no I would never give it back =)

Same goes for my MacBook Air. Best notebook ever, exactly what I need. :)

Still, I see no sense in the iPad.

You're also paying for a product that is standardised for non-computer experts and simply works as intended. I have an iPhone and it's one of the best things I've ever bought. Why? Well, because the UI is designed by a designer and not an engineer, so when I use it, I'm not wrestling with an engineer's idea of how it should work.

I'm not generally technophobic, in fact I love my gadgets, but as far as phones go I just want a smart phone I can use, use easily without trying to remember how the bloody thing works, and doesn't go wrong.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Still, I see no sense in the iPad.

I think the iPad has a place for people who do some amount of casual internet browsing/business/banking/consumerism etc, but don't want a PC or the pain of having a laptop that will one day simply die :)

It's something you can just have on the coffee table and use as simply as a book.

IMO natch. I don't have one and don't have a need for one, but I can see it's niche.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my iPhone and iPad, but these minor improvements do not justify a new, full-priced "sequel" to me. I won't buy it, but it's not like that will make any difference. :p

How much are they?

Mrs Baff likes that kind of stuff.

They're supposedly going to be sold at the same price as the current iPad: starting from $499.

Meh, Apple. As a poor student I never understood the appeal.

How much are they?

Mrs Baff likes that kind of stuff.

You can get the refurbished for a bit cheaper too. This is the Canadian store: http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad?aosid=p204&siteid=1503186&program_id=2554&cid=OAS-EMEA-AFF&mco=MTM3NTA4Mzk&tduid=ef5861e300fe9ec4eab8ac5e184eaf12

I'm at work right now, so I can't reply to the other stuff quite yet. I'll get back to ya. ;)

Abs

It really amazes me how many people say, I would never buy it, I dont think its worth it, but as soon as I take mine out, all of them wanna touch it and play around. As soon as I take it back, the same story: "I would never buy it". Nut for sure its a kind of toy that you want and not you need, so its pointless to talk about it in any other way. Same reason you would buy a bentley over a fiat punto, same reason ur mom buys Luis Vitton bag over some cheap knock off (or she want to). You can use the iPad for pretty much everything you can use a laptop (under normal circumstances. It doesnt apply to people who use laptops for complex stuff like 3d modeling, photoshop, complex mathematical software like matlab etc.). Email, surfing, gaming, writing documents and excel sheets, reading pdf's and ebooks, watching movies, looking at pictures, listening to music, making music, making presentations, reading interactive (very cool) magazines, skyping, chatting, facebooking. All packed into an incredibly appealing design which feels great in your hands and has a very intuitive user interface, very mobile and durable. Oh yeh and has a battery life longer then most laptops.

iPhone I would praise even more. Hands down the best mobile device. Ive never been happier about any other purchase.

Maybe I sound like an Apple fanboy, but believe me Im not. I have a major reflux for the Mac laptops and desktops.

It really amazes me how many people say, I would never buy it, I dont think its worth it, but as soon as I take mine out, all of them wanna touch it and play around. As soon as I take it back, the same story: "I would never buy it". Nut for sure its a kind of toy that you want and not you need, so its pointless to talk about it in any other way. Same reason you would buy a bentley over a fiat punto, same reason ur mom buys Luis Vitton bag over some cheap knock off (or she want to). You can use the iPad for pretty much everything you can use a laptop (under normal circumstances. It doesnt apply to people who use laptops for complex stuff like 3d modeling, photoshop, complex mathematical software like matlab etc.). Email, surfing, gaming, writing documents and excel sheets, reading pdf's and ebooks, watching movies, looking at pictures, listening to music, making music, making presentations, reading interactive (very cool) magazines, skyping, chatting, facebooking. All packed into an incredibly appealing design which feels great in your hands and has a very intuitive user interface, very mobile and durable. Oh yeh and has a battery life longer then most laptops.

iPhone I would praise even more. Hands down the best mobile device. Ive never been happier about any other purchase.

Maybe I sound like an Apple fanboy, but believe me Im not. I have a major reflux for the Mac laptops and desktops.

Me too. I'm not an Apple fanboy, I am a good product fanboy :)

A coworker of mine just told me about the LG Slight. Seems like you can record and playback in 3d. That is a major selling point that may actually take me away from purchasing an iPad...depending on its release date.

SA, you make it sound pretty awesome though. This is the type of user experience I was hoping to hear. Not having bought the iPad, the iPad 2 seems like a preferable choice for me.

Abs

and sadly it works.

For 600 dollars you can get a laptop that has:

Blue ray drive

Intel Core i5 processor @2.3ghz

500 GB harddrive

Windows 7 Sp1

6GB of Ram

Fingerprint reader for security measures

Decent GPU

^ This is an HP Pavilion laptop i bought my father for christmas it was only $599 plus tax so around $700

What do you get with Ipad 2?

Apples name and Logo

a touchscreen

and a gyroscope.

Meh, Apple. As a poor student I never understood the appeal.

I thought being poor was part of the appeal of owning an Apple product... :rolleyes:

Honestly though, I have no doubt that the people at Apple create good products, but I just can't stand the way they promote them (and they really do take advantage of the less-informed). For me, Apple products will be forever associated with a douchebag lifestyle.

Then again, perhaps I'm just more disappointed with the kinds of people that like to associate themselves with these products (or vice versa)...

I remember when the Ipods came out, everyone was showing them off at the coffee shop.

I whipped out my MP3 player/Image viewer with colour screen that cost less then half the price with nearly triple the storage but the apple cultists just snubbed their noses when I told them the price.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my iPhone and iPad, but these minor improvements do not justify a new, full-priced "sequel" to me. I won't buy it, but it's not like that will make any difference. :p

I totally agree. I don't really need the improved specs for what I do on a tablet, I'm not really convinced about making it thinner and I don't like the new covers. I'll wait 'til they release one with a higher resolution screen and then compare it to the competition again, although the competition will have to be substantially better to make up for the advantage Apple's OS gives it. IMO, Android is still a much less pleasant experience to use, and my iPad hasn't crashed once.

For my life-style, a lap-top doesn't cut it as a portable device: - I just never take mine out of the house with me, and never would. The form-factor, touch-screen and stripped-down OS all combine to be a pleasure to use. I waited a long time for a competing Android device to appear, and was disappointed for so long that I finally took the plunge a while back. Of course, if I hadn't fully intended to jailbreak, I don't think I would have considered an iPad.

I think it's a bit unfair to compare their release cycle to that of Activision. They really need to churn them out regularly to stay current and keep generating excitement about their brand. Yes, i think that anyone who 'needs' to have the new model every year either has too much money or is a fool.

What Apple doesn't tell you before you buy the iPhone or iPad, is that it will spend more than half of its life plugged into a wall recharging.

My iPhone lasts as long as my Nokia N97 (crappy phone btw!) did. 1-2 days.

My MacBook Airs batterie lasts for up to 10 hours, if I turn down the lightning and turn off the wifi connection. (Comparision - my laptop before that had problems reaching 1 1/2 hours when it was new - a Sony laptop)

And both are recharged in 2-3 hours

not really a fan of apple products, i got a perfectly good LG smartphone