Sign in to follow this  
kotov12345

RADAR - new idea

Thinking about problem with auto locking players just pressing tab key problem I have new idea how to fix it.

We should have possibility to switch off and on radar.

If radar switched on vehicles can be locked using TAB and off is only manually using right click or other method.

If vehicles haven't got radar it can not be locked automatically only manually.

I'm not sure if anyone else offering it before.

Not totally realistic, however I think its a good compromise. Either that or allow Aircraft to carry ECM systems/pods.

The key problem is the fact that soem vehicles that have a "radar" should not have it (Utility Helos, BMPs, BRDMs, APCs, MBTs Su-25 and A-10) and that some units should have it only in the front quarter not 360°.

The only units with a 360° radar should be AH-64, Ka-52, Tunguska, Shilka. The est should be be blind for the rest of the 270°.

kotov12345 do a search how radar, identification and communication works.

do you want ask bis to implement how radar, identification and communication works in real ?

go on lol :)

'Radar' in vehicles isn't meant to simulate radio wave echo location arrays, I don't think. It's to increase the player's situational awareness and to put him on an even playing field in terms of information with the AI, simulating crew communication, etc.

It also gives the player abilities that certain vehicles have in real life but don't have in ArmA without the radar, like so called hunter-killer capability in tanks. Unfortunately, the compromise is that even t-34s have this ability in ArmA. Taking the radar away will give the AI a fair few advantages.

Edited by Max Power

kotov, if your idea would be implemented the AI would be raping. I dont think AI "is using" radar, I think they are just wall hacking everything as it is.

kotov, if your idea would be implemented the AI would be raping. I dont think AI "is using" radar, I think they are just wall hacking everything as it is.

They aren't wallhacking either. They are guessing where you are based on your last known position.

try mando missile system

they good compromise but they have so unrealistic interface.Never saw anything in real weapons.But Second problem is autolock in tanks - no mando system for it lol

Stop thinking only of AI.

These kind of features and many more would benefit PvP greatly AND remember its a button you can turn on OR off, so don't get all emotional if you don't like the idea.

BI really need to put a little time into configs etc for PvP

a little help.

Instead of making cheap workarounds aka "buttons" BIS could try to make it as "real" as possible. Perhaps BIS could implement something like an userfriendly IFF transponder which is activated via mission design and useable/<attach to vehicle/object> by players? All other vehicles+objects will just reflect radar signals. In that way the player + AI have to verify contacts or must rely on their or others guesswork.

But what if BIS would have implemented surveillance + reconnaissance features eg AWACS, satellites and better equipped UAV's on BLUFOR + OPFOR side? Mission makers + players could just say "Hey we've got the latest information about our targets, their position, heading + speed. Lets get some!" ;)

Radar is stupid on the majority of the vehicles

Thankfully ACE removes this magical radar from nearly all of them

Radar is stupid on the majority of the vehicles

Thankfully ACE removes this magical radar from nearly all of them

ACE.... not a fix... junk.

it is not a question about mods - it is question about vanilla game as suggestion thread.

Weapons system that allow you lock bike (because it is enemy bike lol ) without visual contact does not exist :).

On/off radar will be first step to change locking/targeting/radar system in game.

Edited by kotov12345

A radar in video games is designed to offset the fact that you can't just turn your head and see what is going on around you, you have no real spacial awareness; we're stuck with a view of the world looking through a monitor. Short of some kind of virtual reality goggles strapped to your head, we're stuck with a crude radar system so we have an idea of whats going on around us. Not ideal but there we are.

Edited by Ollie1983

I like the idea of the ability to switch radar on and off. It's not too realistic, but as the other guys said, it's a good compromise.

Wow! Just wow :(

I have to agree with 76. It's a suggestion thread, for the vanilla game. Though ACE does make the more a bit more realistic, it sort of nerfs a lot of features.

I like the idea of the ability to switch radar on and off. It's not too realistic, but as the other guys said, it's a good compromise.
I doubt there's a military radar out there without an off button.

The radar is not analogous to a military radar... but in heaven's name why would the military not allow pilots / operators to turn your radar off? Any emission or reflection made by an object can be used to detect it. In vietnam, the NVA used to foil shrike anti-radiation missiles (missiles designed to seek out enemy radar emitters) by turning off their radars.

Edited by Max Power

What the eff are you trying to say? That pilots should be able to make themselves supersteahlty by switching of their radar or that in general switching off radar should make it impossible to detect any objects/vehicles within and behind visible range? Arcade gameplay much :confused: