Sign in to follow this  
PogMoThoin

ARMA 2: OA beta build 78183

There's also CTRL+Escape, CTRL+SHIFT+Escape, and CTRL+ALT+DEL :D

Perhaps just ALT-TAB disabled when ingame on full screen - while enabled always in windowed mode (editor's dream), or pause menu etc :D

That sounds great, +1 from me. Even though I normally use freetrack there have been times online when I accidently alt-tab out while looking for targets and by the time I got back it would be too late and I would crash the helicopter.

wouldn't it been easier to change the default ALT-freelook key than deny ALT-F4? It is he first thing everyone who uses freelook does...or is it just me (5th mouse button works great)?
What button would you suggest? Alt is in the perfect position for free-look.

and some of you should try reading before posting... :rolleyes:

My bad

If it would have had a bit of documentation then I wouldn't have made this mistake.

The changelog should have said:

[77941] Improved: Alt-F4 no longer exits the game when while playing. (Still works if you press ESC first).

My bad

If it would have had a bit of documentation then I wouldn't have made this mistake.

The changelog should have said:

it works now exactly same as ALT+ENTER to switch between windowed and fullscreen mode (needs ingame menu)

no idea why people make such fuzz about it

this was set to help normal users who often close their's game by mistake combo of F4 group and ALT for w/e reason

aka 'non hardcore veteran' :)

78188 is out....

with no changelog :)

@Dwarden, I'm still don't think Alt-F4 should have been modified in any way. If a computer user is not aware of what alt-F4 does, maybe they should take a few minutes to get to know how to use a windows based computer before going to play a military simulator.

If it's because Free-Look and selecting a unit is becoming a problem for it, free-look should be change by default.

Edited by GossamerSolid

with no changelog :)

@Dwarden, I'm still don't think Alt-F4 should have been modified in any way. If a computer user is not aware of what alt-F4 does, maybe they should take a few minutes to get to know how to use a windows based computer before going to play a military simulator.

If it's because Free-Look and selecting a unit is becoming a problem for it, free-look should be change by default.

I for one admit my guilt.

I have had too many lols over answering the question from a public player online, "What is the button for X?" with "Try Alt-F4!" which is, of course, followed by: *User _______ has disconnected* :rolleyes: :(

AI crossing the the road and open spaces is much improved in this beta, I still have the occasional problem but it is a big improvement. Cheers.

[78017] Improved: Convoys now passing crossroads a bit faster.

[78002] Improved: Road obstacle avoidance improved.

[77855] Fixed: AI unable to traverse some roads when in combat.

About time

Edited by ArmAriffic

I just tested the AI in a convoy and have to say it was really bad, the forth vehicle keeps over shooting the turn by about 100 meters.

What is the best way to setup the convoy so I can give it a true test.

I usually use safe behaviour and fastest movement in column.

Edited by metalcraze

Set convoy to staggered column of compact and "safe" and be patient :)

If you simply start flying along making turns etc dont ever expect a convoy to run well, especially when there are a number of vehicles looking out for one another and making turns.

Good looking list of updates, will check this out. I like the Alt F4 debacle, I never even knew that existed until this thread :)

I tested convoy in all behaviours and I can say only one - VERY BAD. They moving side-to-side on road .. moving out of road .. do another strange things like back moving on clear road.. etc...

I tested convoy in all behaviours and I can say only one - VERY BAD. They moving side-to-side on road .. moving out of road .. do another strange things like back moving on clear road.. etc...

I've just re-tested as suggested and I've had to give up.

Testing with 4 Hummers.

First time the last vehicle just didn't move.

Second time the last vehicle just got stuck after 100 meters and the other vehicles had gone, after 3 mins I just quit it.

Fourth test it got as far as the left turn out of Utes Airport just before Strelka, the other vehicles had gone again and it just kept turning short of the turn then backing back onto the road. I had to quite again.

Fifth test it got as far as the crossroads just out of Camaney, the third vehicle went off road mine stopped and even switched the engine of for a minute until the other guy eventually found the road.

I swapped to Tanks and it was better but I'm still getting 90 degree turns for no reason and struggling at some of the turns.

Wouldn't it be better for the tank to drive with the gun pointing gun forwards or backwards when in safe mode, it's kind of silly for it to plough down a row of fence or telegraph poles.

Performance (if worked on?) at least feels very good.

Convoys. Tested 4 strykers and i noticed the column compact make vehicles go very close to eachother which is cool, but i also noticed what is mentioned that vehicles after the leader vehicle seem to oversteer and tries so hard to follow that they slam into anything that is on the side of the road. Not following to the actual road bend but steering before it.

Very cool though when i had a vehicle behind me it followed me perfectly. When i steered over to the left/right/middle it followed perfectly. That was a 2 car run with me as leader. Here i also noticed the second vehicle oversteering though when i turned making him hit a lamp post dead on. AI put in reverse and catched up however.

Bit more work on this and it will be great. Cheers BIS for the efforts. :)

I've had suspicions for a while but now I confirmed them. One of these beta patches has considerably decreased the game's performance when using a strong zoom such as the one in many sniper rifles. It has made it somewhat difficult to use them.

Recreate:

Start non-beta game and place M107 sniper on Utes. Zoom all the way up and scan some woods.

Start beta game and place the sniper in the same place and zoom around and notice decrease in performance.

So far zooming works fine apart from the haunting stuttering that always been there. Surely need to do more tests on the zooming regarding performance, but so far ive had good performace during it.

The stutter is a tough one though. Coming on during zoom just to go away after a couple of seconds, and to completely smooth FPS. So the performance isnt a problem, but loading textures and LOD's is i guess. Even with 2GB VRAM and although i have been in the area for quite a while.

Will compare beta/non beta zoom.

I for myself am glad over the Alt-F4 change, even though I mostly thought of it, lately it happened again (like only once or twice per year), when I was doing freelook using Alt and wanted to hit F4 to reveal position of unit 4 or to issue a command to it. I also find Alt very convenient for freelook.

I admit for mission/script builders it might not be as convenient all the time, but hitting Esc before Alt-F4 will become a mere habit.

One thing that will never happen because of this is a need for hard reset, because Alt-Tab, Ctrl-Shift-Esc and Ctrl-Alt-Del will work anyway.

Is the new SimpleFirstAid Module broken?

If im squadleader and sync it to myself the units i command cant die

Glad over the Alt + F4 change because my Push to Talk button is Alt :P