Sign in to follow this  
Ripsaw5165

Having a Life and playing Arma 2 Combined Ops...

I been stuck in this game series since 2001. I think the ratio between modding/playing OFP and my bachelour studies was about 98:2. Seriously.

I didnt understand that I had something of a problem until I got a serious girlfriend. I did feel bad if I couldnt go to the editor/text files when I had the urge. I managed partly solve it by making her addicted to morrowind.

When the relationship ended (other reasons) it felt soo good having all the uninterupted time for OFP again. Then I realised for real that it was a true additction. So I just forced myself away for a while. Then when arma came out I promised myself to quit modding and just play. I ended up with alot of configs but managed to play much more than with OFP.

Today I dont have much of a problem anymore but I do from time to time get this immense urge that I just have to create something. As I travel alot in my job I bought an alienware MX11, so now I can do it whenever I have to.

Even though its much better today I cannot deny that I am an armaholic. And my name is andersson.

How to balance your life? Sell your computer and get some treatment, or find a more understanding wife?

Or limit your addiction to 1-2 hours daily. Srsly tho, sometimes i get the urge and build a mission for MP in 1-2 days. This time gets significantly reduced from mission to mission, as i become more proficient with them.

So, i'd say ArmA needs a "highly addictive" label on the front ;)

Yep your not alone I often get cravings and if I ever see any war footage on TV thats it I am off to fire me PC up.

I have played since OFP on release damn I cant remember the amount of times I played through the OFP demo back then.

I got OFP/expansions the ARMA and ARMA2 etc etc.

This is the ONLY game I have ever played this much I have never got bored of it I use it with the ACE2 mod (thanks ACE team damn what a mod you guys have created here) and love it.

I have said it before BIS have dared to do some thing different and I love it its the realism that I like and paired up with the ACE2 mod damn its sweet.

ArmA, its so dangerous for your social life but so awesome and addictive

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

Legislator;1852453']

@Ripsaw5165:

Try to include your family into ArmA II :D Your wife could play a supporting role as an engineer or medic

I got a crotch injury :)

The wife can barely organize and navigate her windows desktop, so any form of PC gaming beyond playing Solitaire is pretty much not happening. She has other talents though, so its all good.

BI games are a major PITA,I was hooked up since OFP and I think it's a friggin addiction because after 1-2 days I feel the urge to just be with my "precious".Driving around Chernarus in my Hmmwv for 5 mins or pimping my base for 2 hours,it doesn't matter I need my fix.

I played lots of games but only Deus Ex managed to hook me up like BI games.

BI games are a major PITA,I was hooked up since OFP and I think it's a friggin addiction because after 1-2 days I feel the urge to just be with my "precious".Driving around Chernarus in my Hmmwv for 5 mins or pimping my base for 2 hours,it doesn't matter I need my fix.

I played lots of games but only Deus Ex managed to hook me up like BI games.

+1. I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms because I couldn't play for two days :(

Hello. My name is arthur666 S, and I'm an Armaholic.

Nice thread! It's hard to really play Arma2 enough while working, husbanding and fathering, but I get to work on my missions and check out new betas once in a while.

My son (1yr 8month) really loves helicopters and trucks. I set up a scene where you are just standing on a hill, watching about 4 helicopters fly around. He loves it. Often he'll point at my computer and give me sign language for "helicopter" while saying something in toddlerspeak that starts with an h. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep him uninterested in the guns. I hope I don't slip up soon.

I don't know how long I'll be able to keep him uninterested in the guns.

I don't mind if my son has a gun and shoots around. I just make sure he doesn't have opponents that start to shoot him and whenever he points the gun towards one of his mates, i tell him that he should better point somewhere else.

Although he likes shooting windows (the building ones, not the OS ;) )

this thread is so true so true.... finds myself checking in the forum almost everyday just to see what the next update or mod available... wish to have extra hours every night just to fool around in the editor.

A question for the OP..or anyone i guess. I just started playing this game..what is sucking you in..the single player campaign? mods and add ons or is it the multiplayer.

Just the general depth of the entire simulation. And the enemy AI is so lethal to me, usually, that I find myself reverting over and over just to best the AI and survive.

There is a parallel universe where people who play ARMA are viewed as junkies. They often don't wash, they are always out begging for money for their 'bus fare home' (really it's savings for a TrackIR or a new CPU) and schools have ARMA awareness days, hoping to show those kids that they should JUST SAY NO!

There is a 'war on ARMA', it doesn't work though, it just pushes sales onto the seedy backstreets. Dirty copies of Arrowhead getting sold as just a DVD in some clingfilm, bits of dirt all over it. The good stuff, the ones in a box with a knock off manual, can fetch big money. But boy, if you're caught with one of those...

It's hard to find a good dealer sometimes. Copies with scratches, files missing, all sorts, just so the dealer can make a fast buck.

Don't even think about trying to play online. Most of the servers are clandestine operations constructed by the local law enforcement. You have to be really careful.

Heroin addiction is a gateway drug, they say. It won't be long before someone offers you a hit of ARMA and it'll be the road to ruin.

Stories of MPs having a quick shot in the toilets on a laptop, pop idols getting caught looking dishevelled after being up all night 'partying'...You can see the glazed look in their eyes, the red sores around their wrist from moving the mouse around and around and around. Just hoping that the next time they 'left click', the high will be just like it was before.

A question for the OP..or anyone i guess. I just started playing this game..what is sucking you in..the single player campaign? mods and add ons or is it the multiplayer.

Making missions, and then playing them from different perspectives, tweaking, then playing again.

I have been at a stinking hotel for two weeks unable to go back home to ARMA, how I love her, so beautiful, and caring. She only wants to bring me joy. One more week of hell and then back to the love of my life. But the wife is ok too I guess.:rolleyes:

Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527)- "War should be the only study of a prince. He should consider peace only as a breathing-time, which gives him leisure to contrive, and furnishes an ability to execute, military plans"

It's difficult to say one particular thing..different drugs influence different people, but Arma has a drug for everyone, there are so many things going on you can't quite pin it to one.

I'm currently having a blast making small missions and letting the AI slug it out, watching from different camera angles.

I have found when I am not playing, or not able to play (IE: Out of town) I find a computer that can run, and watch youtube videos of Arma 2, or research military tactics.

I tend not to share my knowledge with my friends, they would look at me weird. Hehe.

My Dear Husband,

I am sending you this letter via this email, so that you will be sure to read it. Please forgive the interuption, but I thought you should know what has been going on at home since ArmA entered our lives TWO YEARS AGO. The children are doing well. Tommy is seven now and is a bright, handsome boy. He has developed quite an interest in the arts. He drew a family portrait for a school project, all the figures were good, and the back of your head is very realistic. You should be very proud of him.

Little Jennifer turned three in September. She looks a lot like you did at that age. She is an attractive child and quite smart. She still remembers that you spent the whole afternoon with us on her birthday. What a grand day for Jenny, despite the fact that it was stormy and the electricity was out.

I am doing well. I went blonde about a year ago, and discovered that it really is more fun! George, I mean, Mr. Wilson, the department head, has taken an interest in my career and has become a good friend to us all.

I discovered that the household chores are much easier since I realized that you didn't mind being vacuumed but that feather dusting made you sneeze. The house is in good shape. I had the living room painted last spring; I'm sure you noticed it. I made sure that the painters cut holes in the drop sheet so you wouldn't be disturbed.

Well, my dear, I must be going. Uncle George--err--Mr. Wilson, I mean, is taking us all on a ski trip and there is packing to do. I have hired a housekeeper to take care of things while we are away, she'll keep things in order, fill your coffee cup and bring your meals to your desk, just the way you like it. I hope you and the computer will have a lovely time while we are gone. Tommy, Jenny and I will think of you often. Try to remember us while your missions are loading.

Love,

Your Wife

I must admit, I didn't come up with this, but neither did the guy who originally posted this on Orbiter forums. :)

Then I am such a lucky guy.

It is usually my wife (math was a major for her at the university) who gives me the mathematical formulas needed for my scripting. :)

She is keeping her coordinate geometry skills up-to-date. :)

About gaming being a drug: yes, it is. It has always been for me, but I can keep it under control. Some hours a week can give me a fine line between satisfaction and excitement.

But I can keep this only with SP. Multiplayer games are black holes for me, I will never want a feeling like that once again...

Then I am such a lucky guy.

It is usually my wife (math was a major for her at the university) who gives me the mathematical formulas needed for my scripting. :)

You're sitting pretty mate, "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife"- Daniel Boone

Haha, this thread is full of hilarity. I find that I'm more into multiplayer than other people on these forums. Today I played like 3 games of Valhalla on the DAO servers with around 7 other guys in teamspeak from europe and america. The teamwork aspect is incredible. I find the open world aspect as well as the huge selection of guns and vehicles to be the most addicting part. So much freedom, it truly is a big sandbox game.