Sign in to follow this  
Steyr AUG A3

Apache artificial horizon

First of all, thanks to BI for this great game.

As a fan of flight sim I really enjoy flying with helicopters and I noticed that the artificial horizon in the apache doesn´t show the correct attitude of the helicopter. I think we all know that above the horizontal line the blue lines stand for the "heaven" (nose up pitch) and below we have the red lines for the "earth" (nose down pitch). In the middle there is a green bar that stands for the attitude of the helicopter.

Here´s the "problem". When you bank the helicopter to the left for a left turn, the left side of the green bar should point toward the earth. But in the apache the green bar stands still and the horizon is moving, that´s not correct.

I did a comparison with the Cobra, Black Hawk, Huey and Kamov, there it´s correct. The bars are moving, the horizon stands still.

Here´s a video on youtube

At 1:50 and 2:20 you can see a left turn and before/after a view on the flight display how it should look like during a left turn.

Yeah the Apache artificial horizon is definitely wrong in AA2 as the top pic shows (white circle).

However its HUD is correct (red circle)

aa1-1.jpg

This is the Huey, and its art horiz is correct-

aa2-1.jpg

PS- I know that many years ago some planes/helos had the old white circle type, but I thought nowadays everything that flies uses the Huey type to avoid confusion.

I read that the Buddy Holly crash plane used the white circle type (at night in a blizzard) and it disoriented the pilot.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Thanks for uploading the pics.

Yeah I forgot to mention that the HUD is correct.

In the right corner of the instrument panel you can see an artificial horizon which also indicates the right attitude.

Would be nice if the digital one does too.

Maybe you guys at BI could fix that, puhhhleeease?

I'm using trackir, so I never really noticed that.... funny. but he's right.

should be done in minutes... (like the pilot-should-control-hydras change)

nice name btw. unfortunately we don't have an a3 :mad:

Yeah I noticed that right off the bat as well, it could be because they didn't think it moved, as indicated by the green box around it which isn't there in real life.

Perhaps they thought it didn't move at all, as shown by the green box around it.

Edited by NodUnit

Arma2 is not really a flight sim anyway so we mustn't grumble..

It's not about what ArmA 2 is or isn't. It is about having the things that are ingame done right.

It might not matter for you but it might matter for the mate in the Apache that is keeping enemy tanks away from your position. Think about it.

No.

In Russian Apache, artificial horizon moves YOU!

Im sorry but am I the only one who got his hahahaha.

Ahh, I love these excuses.

Like, "Arma 2 is a mil sim so it's OK with lots of bugs and crappy graphics running poor on EVERY computer known to man."

Agree, if people want to analyse every flaw in the flight aspects of OA we'll be here all day... remember its an arcade game whenever you climb aboard an aircraft :)

Like, "Arma 2 is a mil sim so it's OK with lots of bugs and crappy graphics running poor on EVERY computer known to man."

Excuses? Its by light years the best infantry simulator on the market, and has been for 10 years.

Stop being douchey...most people in this thread are talking about wanting it to be fixed, and you find one post that says otherwise and then completely blow it out of proportion. :j:

Abs

Crappy graphics? I know the textures aren't extremely high-res, but overall the graphics beat most other modern games. Especially those running on consoles.

Most vehicles suffer at least one problem with its instrumentation. Things I've noticed in the past, but haven't checked lately:

* Altimeters seems to be based on radar altitude, making it go completely nuts. Should be ASL (+Island Terrain Offset).

* VSI dances like I've never seen before sometimes. Based on radar altitude? :D

* Faulty attitude indicators sometimes. Some don't react to pitch, others have excessive bank shown (AH-6X, just wow!).

* Compass roses that rotates in the wrong direction.

* Blinding effects on NVGs for glass cockpits. Although true, you typically have adjustable light setting to compensate, while we don't.

* Odd shimmering effect on glass cockpits (Ch47) at dawn hours (depending on light).

..Its by light years the best infantry simulator on the market, and has been for 10 years.

Right, as long as people remember it's a great infantry sim..:)

But as soon as they start adding too many aircraft/helos/vehicles etc, the complexity level goes up and the enjoyment level goes down.

Right, as long as people remember it's a great infantry sim..:)

But as soon as they start adding too many aircraft/helos/vehicles etc, the complexity level goes up and the enjoyment level goes down.

...and again, no one is asking BIS to turn this into a LOMAC/DCS competitor. Just having the things that are already ingame done right. I don't think this is asked too much.

And afaik it is a Milsim, aviation is IMHO also part of Mil.

crappy graphics running poor on EVERY computer known to man

crappy graphics? :eek: This game offers by far the best graphics I've ever seen. You can't compare it with a game which takes place in an AO of ridiculous 50x50 meters. If you got a decent pc you get almost photorealistic graphics.

running poor? right it was a disaster, but BI improved the game a lot. so you've to be fair in your judgement.

nevertheless we aren't talking about major changes in this thread (like flight characteristics - e.g. a plane sometimes flying straight forward when you're rolling to the left or right...), but just about small changes which shouldn't take long to fix.

Edited by pandur

Myke;1864305']...and again' date=' no one is asking BIS to turn this into a LOMAC/DCS competitor. Just having the things that are already ingame done right. I don't think this is asked too much.

And afaik it is a [b']Milsim[/b], aviation is IMHO also part of Mil.

True words.

I once played a mission in an Apache and came under heavy fire at night. Since I can´t "feel" the helicopter I often rely on the artificial horizon to know the attitude of the helicopter (yes, I could have looked outside but in this situation I didn´t). So in this moment of a heavy battle and my screaming human gunner I forgot to rethink, rolled to the wrong side and crashed because I was at a low altitude. I was pissed and my buddy on the gun was pissed after 30 minutes of fine gameplay.

nevertheless we aren't talking about major changes in this thread (like flight characteristics - e.g. a plane sometimes flying straight forward when you're rolling to the left or right...)' date=' but just about small changes which shouldn't take long to fix.[/quote']

I had this problem too (with helicopters as well) but the next time it was gone, so I didn´t post it.

Im sorry but am I the only one who got his hahahaha.

No, it just wasn't funny.

Old Family Guy jokes are old...

ArmA's graphics are made to look more real than say cod, if you haven't noticed cod is kinda cartoony

If anybody thinks the AA2 graphics are crappy, they've probably got a crappy computer that's not up to the job of displaying them properly..;)