Sign in to follow this  
fedecape

ArmA 2 OA & Windows 7

Hi!

My name is Federico and.. i'm from Argentina..

just bought my game at BestBuy this afternoon.

i was wondering if i have to do something special to install it on Windows 7 x64 or just.. install it

regards!

I prefer to right click and choose "run as administrator" with Vista/W7.

It will save you a headache or 2.

I do this for everything I may install.

If you have already installed, just go to the properties of the icon, and you may set the administrator permissions in there.

I wonder how (at actually state) the experiences of the players are with both bit systems regarding Arma 2 performance:

Can one say that Arma 2 runs better with Windows 64-bit because it uses more RAM than the the 32-bit system?

I wonder how (at actually state) the experiences of the players are with both bit systems regarding Arma 2 performance:

Can one say that Arma 2 runs better with Windows 64-bit because it uses more RAM than the the 32-bit system?

In theory it (64bit) should be faster IF the game was coded for it.

I just wonder why Windows XP 32bit is still the fastest gaming platform out there. Would be fun to do some serious benchmarks comparing different OS and gaming.

ArmA 2 is a 32-bit application, so it should make little difference, if at all, if played on a 64-bit processor.

Well I experienced a significant Performance Boost when moving from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Win7

Yes, I know that Arma 2 is a 32-bit application, but my question was rather about the system's RAM usage, not the bit property of the application itself.

Right now my Windows 7 32-bit uses 3,25 GB of my 4 GB of memory. I am planning to update my rig to 8 GB. But still Win 7 32-bit would not use them all. So my question is if Arma 2 would run better because the 64-bit system uses more RAM than the 32-bit one. Does anyone have any experiences about that? In theory it should work much better or not?

Well I experienced a significant Performance Boost when moving from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Win7

Ok - do you think it is related to the memory usage I am talking about? And if not - what do you think makes this boost happen?

Thanks for your answers!

Edited by Undeceived

fedecape, just put the DVD in the drive and the setup screen po-up for the install will run. My notebook runs Windows 7 64 bit and Arma 2 Combined Operations installed properly with no special methods necessary. Install Arma 2 DVD first, then the Operation Arrowhead DVD.

accidentally i bought only the Operation Arrowhead for 29.99 when the Combined Operation was 29.99 too -.-

I can't change it, it's a shame.

anyway, for multiplayer playing it's the same, isn't it?

Combined operations is just for playing the story from the begin.

please correct me if i'm wrong.

combined operation brings all the original content of ArmA2 into OA basically.

USMC, Russia, civillians, islands, missions... You be missin' out bro! ;)

@Tonci87

You moved from VISTA to WIN7, that's the reason of performance boost. Vista's a shit, everyone knows it.

Yes you are right (Vista was preinstalled on that PC, as soon as Win 7 came out I installed the professional edition)^^

But I really think it was the RAM usage too. A 32 bit System can`t adress even 4 GB and the OS+other applications takes of a nice part of that. I think I had only 2-2,5 GB remaining for Arma2.

@undecieved Do the Upgrade. If you have win 7 you should have the Install CD for both 32- and 64 bit

Ok, I'll try it out. No, I didn't have the 64-bit DVD, had to order it ('cause I always want original discs :) ).

A friend of mine also has a much better performance with Win 7 64-bit (after upgrading from 32-bit).

Before his upgrade I had better performance (with 32-bit) because I also have better hardware than he has. But now with 64-bit he is the one with more FPS. :)

Edited by Undeceived

combined operation brings all the original content of ArmA2 into OA basically.

USMC, Russia, civillians, islands, missions... You be missin' out bro! ;)

I'm flying back to Buenos Aires this Tuesday..

I'm not poor but.. 30 U$S is a lot of money..

What do you think? Should i buy it?

And let's think i bought, i intalled it and all is ok.

The old serial number (the one who came with the OA) is now useless?

Arma2 is ~10-20% faster on W7(64) than Vista(64). Also OA is ~10-20% faster than orig. Arma2.

Changing Vista/Arma2 > W7/OA is about 20-40% more fps.

Arma2+OA uses max 2Gb from main memory? I think so. So 4Gb is enough, no extra speed 4Gb > 8Gb.

I buyd SSD, gaming is much smoother now.

Edited by Hiikeri

I'm flying back to Buenos Aires this Tuesday..

I'm not poor but.. 30 U$S is a lot of money..

What do you think? Should i buy it?

And let's think i bought, i intalled it and all is ok.

The old serial number (the one who came with the OA) is now useless?

i wrote last week on youtube a comment:

"this is the best investment i ever did in a entertainment product"

if you wanny enjoy the whole multiplayer part and the tousands mods from the community. yes.

of course there are mods for OA standalone, and of course you can play online with OA standalone. but i think the most server/players are on combined operations.

to have "combined operations" you need now arma 2 standalone.

this and Operation Arrowhead together are "COMBINED operations".

install:

1. arma 2

2. arma 2 OA

3. patch to 1.57

now you are on "combined operations" level.

hey mate i wish you a good and smooth start into the world of arma :)

Put XP 32/64 vs Win7 32/64 into discuss please. What Arma2 runs the best on?

There's a big speed test thread around here somewhere and it was found WinXP 32bit was fastest.

IMO

- WinXP 32bit SP3

- GTX570 or GTX580

- 4 GB Ram

- SSD

would be perfect.

Here, found the old threads:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=88388

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=88629

They are from 2009 so the info might be outdated by now.

Edited by ])rStrangelove

Outdated, yeah that's right. I'm not sure WinXP would be as good as Win7 working with SSD. Not sure since guys in "Will my PC run this..." thread mentioned it.

I get better Performance with XP 32bit than Windows 7 64bit. Smoother but NOT better FPS. Two different things. The FPS is about the same.

I'm dualbooting so it's easy for me to switch back and fourth. No reinstalls what so ever.

Some people say that W7 is faster. Other say that XP is faster. For me it's XP.

Well, as an OS Win 7 64bit is vastly superior to XP. Dual boot would be optimal but otherwise I don't think I would stay with a buggy and obsolete OS like XP just because one simulation might run smoother on it than on Win 7 64bit.

Well, as an OS Win 7 64bit is vastly superior to XP. Dual boot would be optimal but otherwise I don't think I would stay with a buggy and obsolete OS like XP just because one simulation might run smoother on it than on Win 7 64bit.

I find XP SP3 very stable and "snappy". No eyecandy makes it clean and fast.

BUT, Windows 7 is prettier, and have a lot of nice features. And I need W7 64bit when producing music. 32bit is a big mess with lot of samples. :)

If I was forced to choose only one OS. Windows 7 64bit is the absolute winner!

W7 is absolutely winner, and powered with Intel i7 Sandy Bridge CPU = High FPS!

graph3v.png

I have to say, I get better average FPS in OA benchmark on Windows 7 x64 then on XP x64. I dont think I tried on x32 systems. Vista x64 performed poorly though.

Its quite some time ago but numbers were something like:

Windows 7 -> 55-60

XP -> 45-50

Vista -> 40-45