Sign in to follow this  
SeaVee

Rolling when prone - how, if at all?

I can't seem to find it now but on a video clip somewhere of Arma2 I could swear I remember seeing a player while prone rolling over.

Is this a mod or am I not seeing the right key command or combo to achieve this in the standard Arma2 controls?

Lean in the direction you want to roll whilst prone, that will make you roll instead of leaning.

It's become useless since Arma 2, though. In Arma 1 it was the fastest way to strafe while prone, in Arma 2 crab crawling is actually faster than crawling forwards or rolling.

Never mind the ability to flatten out grass, or avoid incoming fire, those things are completely useless.

Never mind the ability to flatten out grass, or avoid incoming fire, those things are completely useless.

Flattening out grass (rolling) does have a serious impact on stamina though. Makes you all wobbly and shaky.

I find I use rolling quite often in urban environments for getting into and out of cover quickly. You also always roll the same distance, which is useful for yankee targeting purposes.

You're only wobbly for a little while. After that you'll thank yourself for flattening out that grass.

Of course you could do this with a small artillery barrage, yes, but this is more economical :p

Lol I found this out by just hitting the wrong button for W.. :P But that's just me xD

Hi, for roll when im prone, in the ArmA2 i've to push the arrow key to the oppossite direction where i wan't to roll and then hit twice the arrow key to the direction i want to roll. In it's present form i don't find it very useful, on PvP CQB situations can be more useful. Let's C ya

Well, I've tried every key command everyone has suggested and all I do is move sideways on my stomach. I go to 3rd person view and thats all I see - certainly not a roll....

I've got it mapped to shift + A and shift + d for left and right respectively. Makes a lot of sense, since you can't really turbo crab sideways.

Some crawling speed data in km/h:

Forward: 3.41

Reverse: 2.07

Left: 3.87

Right: 3.55

Diagonal left forward: 3.08

Diagonal right forward: 3.97

Diagonal left reverse: 2.24

Diagonal right reverse: 2.07

Roll left: 2.98

Roll right: 3.24

Done with a radio trigger with on act: hintSilent format ["%1",sqrt ((velocity player select 0)^2+(velocity player select 1)^2+(velocity player select 2)^2)*3.6]

Can you guys actually see the animation of rolling in 3rd person view when doing it?

Dude, just go to your control options and see what "evasive left/right" says.

Dude, just go to your control options and see what "evasive left/right" says.

SUCCESS!!!!

Thanks so much. I had no keys assigned to these.

Some of the other instructions from people earlier in the thread said to use the lean key(s) while prone, etc. but that did nothing.

The evasive left/right keys now do the roll while I am prone.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the speed celery. Well I think rolling should be faster than crawling...

SUCCESS!!!!

Thanks so much. I had no keys assigned to these.

Some of the other instructions from people earlier in the thread said to use the lean key(s) while prone, etc. but that did nothing.

The evasive left/right keys now do the roll while I am prone.

Thanks again.

Evasive forward also gets you up from prone quicker. ;)

Thanks for the speed celery. Well I think rolling should be faster than crawling...

In that case i think it should come with more negative side effects. Rolling with a large backpack is quite hard, doing it on uneven/rocky ground hurts and doing it multiple times in a row makes you dizzy.