Sign in to follow this  
snipe3000

Single Player Campaigns - Must Have Mods

I have been replaying the single player campaigns (Starting with Harvest Red). I have been playing through with my must have MP mods:

ACE

CBA

ACRE*

Jayamra2lib*

Blastcore

JTD smoke

True Mods

STHud

JSRS sound mod

Zeus AI (Server)

*Obviously ACRE and Jayarma2lib are MP only

But have been wondering if anybody experienced issues with mods on single player e.g. scripted events not working etc

What have been peoples experiences with:

ACE and SP - does it add to the single player experience?

AI Mods and SP - do they break anything

Is there any must have SP mods I am missing? How about GL4 and SLX?

I use SLX and love it. Probably it's best single feature (of which there are MANY) is that when you put an enemy down, he's not necessarily dead. Sometimes they can recover enough to give you trouble later on, and you can't tell by looking at the body from a distance. That means you're sometimes compelled to put a few extra rounds into the body if you intend to move up to that area :)

Once, as part of a challenge between some friends of mine, I was required to drag bodies to a central place to take a screenshot to prove my victory. However, at least one of the bodies subsequentally recovered enough to disappear somewhere :D I followed his blood trail as far as I could but he disappeared into the forest.

Edited by DMarkwick

SLX does look good, although I hear there can be compatibility issues with it.

Maybe I should have a look at A2WARMOD as that seems to be a good attempt to consolidate all mods into one package. It appears to have been tested on an earlier version of Arma and does not have blastcore. Maybe I can change it about to my liking.

Question then is do I go with ACE or not

JSRS sound mod and Blastcore bring the game to another level for me.

Now its more fun to play then ever :)

I have been replaying the single player campaigns (Starting with Harvest Red). I have been playing through with my must have MP mods:

ACE

CBA

ACRE*

Jayamra2lib*

Blastcore

JTD smoke

True Mods

STHud

JSRS sound mod

Zeus AI (Server)

*Obviously ACRE and Jayarma2lib are MP only

But have been wondering if anybody experienced issues with mods on single player e.g. scripted events not working etc

What have been peoples experiences with:

ACE and SP - does it add to the single player experience?

AI Mods and SP - do they break anything

Is there any must have SP mods I am missing? How about GL4 and SLX?

ACE breaks SP missions and campaign. Do not use ACE when playing SP or COOP. I play COOP a lot and when we started using ACE it broke a lot of features that worked without ACE. We suddenly coudn't play our missions. So reserve ACE for MP only.

Depends on the mission if ACE breaks it, I play through the campaigns with ACE for added challenge, with no additional bugs that I notice.

Depends on the mission if ACE breaks it, I play through the campaigns with ACE for added challenge, with no additional bugs that I notice.

Did you use any AI mods (zeus, gl4 etc) when u played through the campaigns

I'm sorry but if an Osprey suddenly has trouble landing and then crashes because of ACE i call that a big f***ing break! :mad: Before and after using ACE the Osprey landed safely.:confused:

i would avoid any AI mods, or other mods that change some core aspect of game play for playing through a campaign. they can cause some irregularities.

cosmetic mods are fine though

Maybe I should have a look at A2WARMOD as that seems to be a good attempt to consolidate all mods into one package.

It appears to have been tested on an earlier version of Arma and does not have blastcore. Maybe I can change it about to my liking.

Yes you can change things to your liking, the mod is very customizable to the player.

It doesn't have Blastcore as A2WarMod was built for Arma2 alone, and Blastcore only works with CO or OA, I tried Blastcore with

the mod and it wont work, you will need OA for Blastcore.

It does have WarFx for Arma2 in it though.

Theres is 122 mods in A2WarMod from 29 modders.

the mod is mostly dealing with effects, AI, features, fixes, and many other aspects, its mostly a gameplay type mod.

Any questions specifically for A2WarMod then post in the A2WarMod release thread seen here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=108520

AI mods can in fact mess with things... I once tried to play 'First to Fight' or whatever that Scenario is where you land on Utes with the Huey... And the Huey instead of landing, would spot the enemy and fly around engaging them until the enemy were all dead or the huey somehow got shot down. If it survived it would just fly around aimlessly until you quit the mission or it crashed into a tree.

The only problem I've encountered with ACE is that on the 2nd or 3rd Razor Mission when its dawn and you are moving towards Chernogorsk, is that one of the Tunguskas will sometimes engage you and tear your squad to shreds. (this also happens with things like SLX and AI mods)

ACE/ZEUS/AI Mod X or Y will break campaign since they change AI behaviour meaning events won't happen as usual. For example the Osprey that takes you to F.O.B Manhattan can crash into the forest sometimes, or overshoot massively with ACE/ZEUS. In the Arrowhead campaign the enhanced spotting means that vehicles that aren't meant to join in fights do which can break some aspects of the campaign by making it to easy if say a platoon of M1A1's that was just meant to hold position comes and joins in what was meant to be a fight between you and 5 AI Takistani's. Or if an MI-24 Hind that was merely meant to be patrolling decides to have some fun it can break the game slightly.

But hey I'm not complaining, it makes the game unpredictable and therefore a lot more fun. You never know what's coming next. In the mission where you have to destroy the AA batteries with the AH-64 you can only use your Radar AGM - Hellfires which means you have 4 Missiles rather than 8 making it a lot more tense and difficult. The AI will also spot you from much further away which lets you practice your evasive and low-alt flying. Since the AI is more observant that squad on the hilltop 800m away might lay down some fire on you. It makes the whole game a lot more fun.

As for the Tunguska bwc153, that's the ZSU Shilka and it's usually there, I think it has a low probability of being there but even on Vanilla with no mods that thing opened up on my squad. You have to push to the barn, there's an RPG-7 on the floor there than you can kill it with.

I always use ACE2 for coop missions, just makes it more fun :)

I did have some problems in SP though.. but who plays that nowadays when we got such a wide variaty of community missions anyway.

Good topic but I have to agree with others that you should stay away from AI mods if you want to enjoy the campaign as it was planned. That's not to say that they're incompatible but they may lead to some VERY frustrating situations. Much as the unpredictable nature provides a welcome break from scripted scenarios, it often leads to intensely annoying situations where the certain objectives can no longer be completed. This is particularly irritating if you're playing the campaign in co-op.

That said there's still a horde of mods that really adds to the experience:

- CBA (vital building-block for most mods)

- Blastcore (OA only, otherwise WarFX)

- JTD Fire & Smoke

- JTD Fat Rain & Flies

- ShackTac's HUD

- ShackTac Collision & Evasion

- Mando Missile

- Oktane's noBlur mod

- BD Tracers (OA only)

- BD Multigun fix

- JSRS sound mod

- ASR Rearm (OA only)

- Neo's Attachable Satchels

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for better AI. In fact whenever I play user missions online co-op, I use Zeus AI and the difference is staggering. If playing A2 (instead of OA), we also use the GL4 mod.

To cater for all these different situations we have multiple start-up lines. So a launcher is preferable.

Hope that helps & let us know how you get on.