Sign in to follow this  
Perpetual

What is your sound and microphone setup?

I've all but pulled the trigger on Arma 2 CO, and the last thing i need to do is get the sound situation taken care of. Looking for some players input.

What kind of setup do you prefer? headphones vs speakers, what mic setup and why etc.

I think I'd prefer to get a mic to use with my 5.1 system. Any recommendations?

I used to play with headset but recently switched to conventional microphone/speaker setup.

Sessions can be very long at times and wearing a headset for many, many hours gives me hot ears and sometimes even little headache. Cant have that, no sir.

As for recommendations:

Headset I used (still works well for me if I only play for an hour or two): Plantronics GameCom Pro1

Microphone I now use a lot: Logitech USB Desktop microphone.

using a creative fatal1ty gaming headset, powered by an creative fital1ty x-fi card.

Also using track ir with proclip, so the headset is a must that way ;)

I just run a Plantronics mic through the input of my onboard card then out via SPDIF into my RME Multiface2. I then just use headphones.

For multiplayer me n my mates, upon the recommendation from a good user here (sorry can't remember name) use Mumble and I set up a server with it for us all to join. No more mics stopping working and good instant chat. Good little programme.

I prefer headphones as my monitors do a great job of giving feedback from the mic ...

I use a lovely pair of Beyer Dynamic DT990Pro phones that sound superb.

I have an average USB headset/mic combo I use when it's late (it's currently held together with lots of duct tape). I'd like to invest in something much better and more comfortable.

But during the day, it's a 7.1 Sony Receiver pumping out 700 watts and a very nice, loud, powered sub. The neighbors have learned to deal with it. I'm very happy with the Auzentech sound card I bought a few months ago. I really did see a big difference in sound quality with it. I still use the headphone/mic this way too if I need to chat. I just have the voices going through the headset. I don't need to hear people blaring through my speakers...

I use a 5.1 surround Turtle Beach headset with an Asus Xonar DX soundcard. It has served me well. Problem with headsets as one above has mentioned, they can become uncomfortable after long periods of time. I've worn headsets so much this isn't a problem for me anymore short the oddball pair that's just down right uncomfortable. However it's taken a long time and many headsets before I narrowed down what is best for me (big over-the-ear "circumaural headsets with lots of padding). If you have any fiends that are audio dynamos with many a spare sets hanging around, ask if you can borrow some and see what you might like. And when going to buy your own, read reviews, read them with all your might, lol.

BTW, a user suggested the creative fatal1ty gaming headset. For a 2.0 headset for it's price it's a pretty good bargain, not as good as the hype around it's advertisements, but it isn't a bad headset either, lasted me a good 2 years before i wore out a spot in the wire.

For sounds, I use my desktop speakers, which I hope to replace with a 5.1 set from Logitech very soon (it would be a merry christmas indeed :yay:)

For voice, I use my headset mic... the headset is a (very basic) single-earpiece-and-mic thing, which I use only for the mic and as a TrackIR clip holder. I don't even have the earpiece against my ear... I rest it just behind my ear, since I only need the mic and the track clip attached to my head.

If you don't have a trackIR, and don't like headsets, go with the desktop mic, but check if your desktop audio doesn't make it into your mic, as that can lead to feedbacks...

Cheers

I have a Medusa 5.1 surroundsound headset/mike combo which is great for sound quality. Unfortunately Arma stopped picking up my headset mike (everything else like TS3 still does) which is really annoying in coop. Does anyone have any advice on this problem?

I have a cheap headset for commos and a logitech 5.1 setup for game sounds. I don't have to worry about wires getting worn out or replacing wireless batteries. It really sounds excellent, especially with the volume up, but I'm always a bit worried about disturbing my landlords. I'm thinking of going to a nice pair of stereo headphones, though. My computer is- one might say- enthusiastically cooled. It's got 2 coolit mtec coolers on the processor, and a shed load of case fans, plus an HD 6870. Using headphones would help with the fan noise without disturbing my neighbours.

Second the Logitech G35's. They have the ability to simulate surround sound, aren't too heavy and the mic seems to work really well.

One of the better headphone mic setups I've played with.

I was interested to read about the players that use a mic along with the speaker set up though....

One thing I might mention about a mic and speaker set up, is with a game as loud as ArmA can be, if you have your speakers turned up, when you choose to talk through a mic, it will pick up your game audio as well and may make it difficult for others to actually hear what you say. Think of someone with a mic with a bunch of background noise in their room, now imagine that background noise is the Hifi heli sounds (or a sound mod of your choosing). Sometimes it can actually be quite immersive, or it can make you sound like a can of smashed assholes. Again this is something to consider when playing with those other than yourself, but in the end it's what ever you want.

I have a cheap headset for commos and a logitech 5.1 setup for game sounds. I don't have to worry about wires getting worn out or replacing wireless batteries. It really sounds excellent, especially with the volume up, but I'm always a bit worried about disturbing my landlords. I'm thinking of going to a nice pair of stereo headphones, though. My computer is- one might say- enthusiastically cooled. It's got 2 coolit mtec coolers on the processor, and a shed load of case fans, plus an HD 6870. Using headphones would help with the fan noise without disturbing my neighbours.

Yeah, I also have trouble with the cooler noise from my case... 7 coolers inside and around the case, all whirring away, add up to a symphony of airflow that can get louder than the game...

I'm thinking about modding my case to optimize the airflow while reducing the number (or at least the speed) of coolers inside... If there are fans on the front that move air in, while the ones on the back move air out... it might be a little more silent...

Or maybe with the new 5.1 set, the game will be so loud I won't have to worry about cooler noise :D

Cheers

Cheers

Second the Logitech G35's. They have the ability to simulate surround sound, aren't too heavy and the mic seems to work really well.

One of the better headphone mic setups I've played with.

I was interested to read about the players that use a mic along with the speaker set up though....

Yes, best headset I have ever owned for gaming. I highly recommend. Walking through Chernarus somewhere in the wilderness, you're stopping to take a quick break and enjoy the scenery and birds :D.. All of a sudden you hear a loud sonic compression wave as an AK round zooms by your head... that'll wake you up in the morning!

using a creative fatal1ty gaming headset, powered by an creative fital1ty x-fi card.

Also using track ir with proclip, so the headset is a must that way ;)

same here. fatality headset, and champions edition sound card and front panel :) works a treat

A couple of speakers and a desktop mic.

I can't stand wiring myself to anything.

Uh... Stock "Realtek HD Audio" sound card, cheap Logitech ClearChat headset. Never really needed anything more, to be honest. :D

Yes, I did choose to skimp out on a sound card when building my PC. :p

Yes, I did choose to skimp out on a sound card when building my PC.

Me too. It was the absolute last thing I was going to upgrade. I've been using onboard sound since I started building my own PCs. But the difference now that I have a halfway decent sound card makes me wonder if maybe my priorities should have been different. I even noticed a difference with my crappy headphones... not to mention the night and day difference it made on my surround system.

In singleplayer I use my trusty National Panasonic SU-2300 amp with a set of sony speakers.

When in MP and on TS, I add my Sennheiser PC151 to that. So I listen to the sound trough the headset and trough the speakers at the same, since I find that the headsets lacks in bass. ;)

At night I use only the headset, to spare my roommates from the TS chatter...

And yes I also use the Realtek HD onboard audio...

I just picked up a Logitech G930 because I stepped on my crappy headphones a few days ago. So far I love this thing... no more leash (I wear them everywhere now, just hope I don't get into the shower with them on). The sound is far better than I hoped for. Of course not nearly as much bass as my 700w 7.1 stereo system, but not bad for a headphone.

Now the neighbors can have peace and quiet at night. Apparently the bass from my system travels pretty far... :p