Sign in to follow this  
breeze

DLC Standards

everything in both DLCs so far have been available in community addons, and frankly it seems like they spent more time on their stuff than BIS.

but honestly, everything in OA could have been created by the community.

Utter bollocks.

I like the idea of separating the maps from the units in DLC, however this poses a problem, mostly because you'll end up getting everything for free with the maps, unless entirely new materials and models are made every time. I think that it would be better to release a new, 10 x 10km +, map every other DLC. That and I'd like the DLC being more focused on added content, rather than having this amazing campaign that very few will play. I can honestly say that I've never touched any of the campaigns, except the first mission of OA online with friends, and I know I'm not the only one. I'm not saying don't have any single player missions, quite the opposite really, there are people that play them and they shouldn't be left with a bunch of stuff that only works in the editor.

TLDR:

• Maps of higher quality and size every other DLC
  • More content; infantry, weapons, vehicles, etc
  • Less focus on a campaign, BAF had a good balance, but a little more wouldn't hurt.

:D

Lots of people talk this crap. Do You ever thought about multiplayer? How it will break the community, because some will don't buy the new expansion?

I don't see community falling apart when OA got released. Like everyone went for it because it was a huge improvement on AA2, not mentioning a huge amount of new content. However I see community falling apart because of these two DLCs - people are refusing to play missions with an ugly walking mud for a unit.

DLCs are a better idea, and as long as their content will be satisfying - I will support and buy them. And I guess many other players will...

ACE mod offers much more content than both DLCs put together - the mod itself was around since OFP days, yet it costs nothing. But please pay for 2 weapons and 3 units.

(We have some 30-40 year old players who don't feel like "buying new game every half of the year so they can play with friends". So please. Stop talking shit.)

It's once a year and an addon. Not new game.

And I assume these mysterious 30-40 years old players are OK with buying DLC every 2 months which offer less while costing more (both BAF and PMC offer 1/10 of OA content while costing half as much) so they can play with friends?

And finally - who said DLC's can't have more content for more money?

Show me at least one such DLC in a history of gaming that offered the same amount of content for say $10 as 1/5 of some full game and I will shut up.

Edited by metalcraze

Jackals and Warriors were made by the community before the BAF DLC?

UKF Jackals and WMIKs. UKF and RKSL WIP Warriors too.

Well...Fallout 3's DLCs might had more content....but they weren't cost only $10 when they were released...

Edit: once again, despite the lot of mods around, there were a helluvalotof request for the Brits to be made into the game by Bohemia. And despite some person's loud disapprovement, BAF was a huge success, so BI decided to continue with DLCs. They said before that they are curious how well DLCs will turn out, it turned out for them pretty well, so the story continues...

Edited by Banderas

BAF was indeed a success. I enjoyed it and I know many others that did. However I do know others that are disappointed with PMC. I can see why you could think there was a degradation in DLC standards, but because of one rotten apple I don't really see it as fair to judge at this early stage.

I loved BAF..really loved it, the content was superb and the campaign was outstanding I thought. It was all so well that I wish/hope more content like it will come out. PMC was bad in some areas but great in others. They put a lot of work into making the campaign something great, and because of that they did what they could to release units for us to use while keeping it $10. Since the 1.57 update the weapons got a major overhaul...I never cared for the XM8's at all but now I found them very interesting and useful since they were updated.

Addons made by the community are great, a lot of work done on them is almost unbelievable in a lot of cases. Sometimes it's just not for everyone, people have their reasons why they'd want official content over user made. It's all about personal preference.

It's easy for us Brits to get a bit carried away with BAF love, perhaps that's why we feel the PMC is not as good?

Well...Fallout 3's DLCs might had more content....but they weren't cost only $10 when they were released...

Edit: once again, despite the lot of mods around, there were a helluvalotof request for the Brits to be made into the game by Bohemia. And despite some person's loud disapprovement, BAF was a huge success, so BI decided to continue with DLCs. They said before that they are curious how well DLCs will turn out, it turned out for them pretty well, so the story continues...

Overall the DLC's might be a success, It could have been a bigger success with bigger maps. I did not buy the DLC's so far, because I will probably not play the campaign and the small maps and content are already added as lite versions. As I can not play ArmA on the highest settings, I will not see much difference between lite and full detail models anyway :)

If BI releases an other DLC then then they should add a big map and not make it available if you did not buy the DLC.... otherwise there is no need to buy it (speeking for myself). :p