Sign in to follow this  
Chris2525

Ability to transition weapons on the move

....when swithching from rifle to sidearm, you should be able to do that without stopping.

Swapping to sidearm (pistol) should be rather quick, but swapping to a launcher should take time. I don't know if it's possible to code in a difference between the two?

Switching to a sidearm on the move is not that easy and somewhat cumbersom (no quickdraw holster in most military) ...you have to put your rifle somewhere...swicting to RPG on the move NO WAY to prepare it for firing that way.

Yeah, launchers take time to prepare for firing, so you will want to do that in cover and while standing still. I do think drawing your pistol could be at least a little faster, though I can't say this is based on any real-life experience. How fast could one generally draw one's sidearm in combat?

And I guess doing it on the move would be a bit cumbersome, so it would naturally take longer, during which time you would not be able to shoot anything as you're just transitioning between weapons.

I wonder if it's at all possible to make different transition-speeds for sidearms and launchers both on the move and standing still... if not, then just speeding everything up would be unacceptable, I'd rather have it the way it is now then. However, if the different can be coded in (by means of different animations, perhaps?) then it wouldn't be such a bad change I think. It all depends. :)

I think it'd be better to have this ability. For your RPG you could always switch to it when running along, but you'll need to stop to reload/arm it.

Yeah, no doubt launchers should take more time to shoulder than pistols take to draw. I'm just sick of waiting 5 minutes to pull a pistol out when i need it NOW! lol

I'm no superhero, and I know i can transition to a sidearm much quicker IRL than is represented in the game, and if it's on my hip (as opposed to my leg), it's nothing to draw it on the move. Your primary is of no concern becuase you just drop it and let it hang (provided it's slung correctly), takes exactly 0.0 seconds to disengage from your primary.

I'm no superhero, and I know i can transition to a sidearm much quicker IRL than is represented in the game, and if it's on my hip (as opposed to my leg), it's nothing to draw it on the move. Your primary is of no concern becuase you just drop it and let it hang (provided it's slung correctly), takes exactly 0.0 seconds to disengage from your primary.

I hear you. However, we have to remember that the human performance of complex mechanical functions drops tremendously when stress and fatigue are introduced. I am not aware of too many examples of pistols being used in the military conflicts, but there are plenty of cases where police officers (who train extensively in pistol handling) fail to handle their handgun correctly when confronting the criminals. For that reason I really don't mind the timing of transition to sidearm in ARMA.

Peace,

DreDay

You have to remember, its "only" a game.

And it is with NO doubt becoming more

and more like an arcade.

Ive allway been under the impression

it is supposed to be a simulator...........

I'd be happy if I could just switch between my rifle and my sidearm while walking only. That's all I want now that we can reload while moving (which isn't as good as I hoped when ArmA 2 came out, reloads take the same amount of time regardless of how fast you move).

So reloading launcher on the move is OK but switching to it from rifle is not? I would be happy if you could walk while switching, no need to be able to run. Its just frustrating if you are 10cm not enought behind cover and you cant move just a bit while you are switching to your pistol. Thats the only thing left from OFP and A1 that keeps getting me killed or injured.

So reloading launcher on the move is OK but switching to it from rifle is not? I would be happy if you could walk while switching, no need to be able to run. Its just frustrating if you are 10cm not enought behind cover and you cant move just a bit while you are switching to your pistol. Thats the only thing left from OFP and A1 that keeps getting me killed or injured.

The animation needs to be finished for an another animation to start. If they fix this, they could make the movement much smoother, such as transition from a different pace.

IMO, the way things are currently is backwards. Right now you can reload your weapon while moving, even running, but when switching weapons you are glued to the ground.

It should be the other way around. You should have to stay in one place for a more precision task of reloading a weapon (cuz lets face it, if modern man can often enough fumble a one piece affair like a football while on the run, even pros, then you ARE going to fumble a 3 piece juggling affair like two magazines and a rifle as well as taking said magazines to and from pouches, and trying to reload something as big as a launcher on the move...impossible).

While switching a weapon which is mostly gross motor movement, you should be able to do on the move, perhaps not running or sprinting (especially not for something bulky like launchers), but at least be able to walk while doing it.

Edited by DillonAero

In all the war vids I have ever watched, you really never see soldier reloading on the move, nor reloading a rpg type weapon rocket launcher if you will.

Switching to a sidearm like BOTA:49 while walking should be something one is able to do, dont know about running,

switching weapons while running i would think is possible but reloading, dont know about that one.

I'm sure some actual soldiers in the forums here could give better details on this topic about what works or whats actually done, and or realistic.

I hate the fact that the change between primary and secondary is such a big change, the controls for it seems kinda of odd,

dont know how to explain it I mean it works.

I had it in a mission where I ran out of ammo for my primary and I had my pistol availiable thank goodness,

it saved my ass.

Hi, the fact that you've to stop (that you're forced to stop) for swap to your side weapon (the pistol) while you're not forced to stop for swap to your secondary weapon (the AT) don't makes sense. You should be able to swap from your main weapon to your side weapon (the pistol) on the move, same for the AT weapon if you're walking; here (in spain) the soldiers are trained to reload on the move (walking), but you're told to never do it and to reload only behind full or partial cover, but you're trained to reload on the move. Let's C ya

Exacly. Sometimes you just have to reload or swap to pistol/launcher while moving. Its not ment to run around cod style. Some of you comparing this to real life. Yes in real life you always reload behind cover but in real life you are able to reload or swap even when you run slowly. If it is a good idea, thats whole another story.

Sometimes you won't have a choice. Transitioning to a sidearm is by nature an emergency action.

I really hate the fact you're stuck in one place while you switch weapons and have to wait the animation out, usually while you watch an enemy line you up in their sights as well. If the animation paused when you moved, or even allowed just a little walking while switching, it would give you some evasive movement when needed.