Sign in to follow this  
EJtheK

How Active is Community?

Hello All,

This may be a goofy post, but I appreciate any feedback.

I used to play a lot of Ghost Recon (original!) back in the day and was in a very dedicated clan/squad. Without going into great detail, I truly miss those excellent days. I also dabbled in some other tactical shooters at the time...

Unfortunately, due to work constraints I have been out of PC gaming for a few years (very sad!). BUT, I am now returning. The old GR is dead and the GRs that took its place seem more out to be like CoD than anything else. I want so much more...

I played OFDR on XBOX 360. I enjoyed it. Sure, it had its issues, but it was a welcome experience after casually experiencing CoD-like games on consoles for a while. However, the online community for OFDR on XBox was dead as far as I could see. This made it a short-lived experience.

I am really excited about ARMA II and am currently in the midst of putting together a new rig. However, before I get to far in, I want to know: how active is the multiplayer community online for ARMA II?

Is the community still hopping? I am not in a squad (for now, at least) so I would hope to find servers buzzing with people casually playing various modes of play. Will I be disappointed? ...or is this going to be the "welcome home to PC gaming" I've been hoping for?

Thank you!

-EJtheK

Well, let's say it this way: ArmA 2 is designed to run on PC's that will be build in about 5 years and probably 90% of the actual community will play it until then and even more. BIS games and aftersale support are designed for longetivity so is the community. A lot of people are here since the glorious OFP:CWC days.

I don't want to fool you. The community is by far smaller than of any other Blockbuster games. But those games tend to come and go faster than a hookers customer.

If you could compare "any other shooter" with ArmA 2, then the other shooter are the cheap disco while ArmA 2 is the VIP lounge. Hard to get in but once in you don't want to leave.

Welcome aboard.

...or is this going to be the "welcome home to PC gaming" I've been hoping for?

Find a squad, then it will be what you wish for it to be:shine:

-There are some squads which are very strict and almost real-life military discipline.

-There are some squads which are a little more laidback and casual, but still aims for realism and teamwork.

-There are some squads which are even more laidback and more casual, and just wants to have fun.

Find the squad that suits you, and you wont look at another game. Just avoid public servers.(If you are looking for teamwork that is)

Check out the squads and fanpages section of the forum and you might find something.

And yes, the community is active. Not like OFPDR ohshi- O.F.P.D.R

EDIT: And what Myke says, the community is not superlarge, atleast not with public gaming, but still very much active.

Edited by Jelliz

Well guys, thank you very much. I simply cannot imagine better answers ... this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Myke, I love the VIP lounge analogy. Enticing...

Once I have my new rig (may be a few weeks), I'll pick up the game, get to practicing, and then look through the lists of squads once I am ready. Because of my work schedule (small business = lots of crazy hours), I'll have to start at the most casual level. Recommendations?

Thanks again guys!

Best,

EJtheK

I just bought the game as well.

Its a niche game, so the community reflects that. Like others said its not the size of your latest blockbuster shooter. I played ArmA 1, so i knew that. :)

Theres plenty of pubs for you to start on learning the game, until you have time to get more involved. Warfare or domination servers are good places for casual players. I'd also recommend installing the ACE mod if you like realism. Dabble with that as well.

My ONLY complaint with ArmA multiplayer, too much coop. For some reason the bulk of the community enjoys playing against AI. It's fun to an extent, but I would rather face real opponents. That bit about this community I will never understand.

So if you prefer pvp, like me, it lacks in that area. There so many interesting things that could be done with the flexibility of this game in terms of pvp. Its strange that it is barley tapped.

Anywho, still the best shooter out there. My complaints above are not enough to turn me away. The great thing about arma is, if you dont like something, you can change it! Make a mission, open a server, etc.

Welcome!

Thanks, Maciver! Thanks for the further information and for the welcome!

I'll start on the pubs and dabble. I'll definitely look into the ACE mod as well.

Interesting information on that complaint. I also really like facing real opponents (squad vs. squad). It doesn't sound like there's a lot of it, but are there places and squads to turn to that do this?

Either way, I'll definitely end up with ArmA II once my new rig is built. You've all convinced me for sure!

Thanks!

You can find pvp games on the C5 and Armacalypse servers. Keep in mind some nights things do not get started until 10:30 PM (Eastern US time zone).

Myke;1772710']Well' date=' let's say it this way: ArmA 2 is designed to run on PC's that will be build in about 5 years and probably 90% of the actual community will play it until then and even more. BIS games and aftersale support are designed for longetivity so is the community. A lot of people are here since the glorious OFP:CWC days.

I don't want to fool you. The community is by far smaller than of any other Blockbuster games. But those games tend to come and go faster than a hookers customer.

If you could compare "any other shooter" with ArmA 2, then the other shooter are the cheap disco while ArmA 2 is the VIP lounge. Hard to get in but once in you don't want to leave.

Welcome aboard.[/quote']

signed :-)

Yes, I cant wait for PR myself.

Good news though, I just bought a server from Jest servers. Gonna run my own custom maps with ACE running, all PvP.

Should be up and running tonight once i figure out how to use it, lol. Will make a new topic when its up if the realism pvp folk are interested. :)

I always tell people that it can take about a week for people to "get" what OFP/ArmA/ArmA2 is all about. Once that thing clicks and you see it, you find that it's actually the thing that's missing from all the other games. Then you will be prepared to put up with the various foibles that ArmA2 has :)

Just to add how re playable this game is put it like this.

Out of the hundreds of games I have ever purchased or played OFP,ARMA and ARMA2 was and still is the ONLY game I have never lost interest in.

how active the community is...

beside the comments above....

Check these forums out, or watch a news site.There is lots going on, even outside the game. next week i'll be re-doing some PVP community event that took place in 2007. with players and modders from the community, and even the real army. A full video report will be aired around december.

yes, this community rox. no hair on my head that would doubt that.

its going to take some time, but then your hooked for life

Edited by jerryhopper

It's pretty active! i myself had the same question when i got this game and once i joined a unit the activity has been nonstop. campaign there, PVP here, coop there, missions building game modding squad training. EVERYTHING!! TFB (TaskForce Blackjack) has a pretty active server (as of today ranked 25th) just filter for "taskforce blackjack" in multiplayer and we'd be happy to have you on! :)