Sign in to follow this  
Bulldog72

Why is there no sidearm in my holster?

Sidearm is there (in hands), holster is there (on right leg), pistol drawing animation is there, too, but... where does me pistol go if I am holding some rifle?

Sometimes I run around with it in my teeth, pirate fashion.
Na...thats where we carry our knifes in ArmA...native american style. And the pirates of the 17. Century had no teeth left over the age of 30.

Because even if it were included in the model people would complain when it was there after dropping it or not having one. Its purely because the soldier is a model.

Because even if it were included in the model people would complain when it was there after dropping it or not having one. Its purely because the soldier is a model.

And why we can have a rifle and a rocket launcher\backpack hanging in the back?

And why we can have a rifle and a rocket launcher\backpack hanging in the back?

Because not every unit has a holster/has a holster in the same spot, and pistols would look odd just hanging from your side. A new proxy would be needed. Either way, it'd probably require every single animation in the game to be tweaked.

Did nobody wonder where the Command Lauch Unit does magically apear from to the launchertube when you make the Javelin ATGM ready to fire ;)

Because not every unit has a holster/has a holster in the same spot, and pistols would look odd just hanging from your side. A new proxy would be needed. Either way, it'd probably require every single animation in the game to be tweaked.

Fair enough. Thank you.

Is that a sidearm in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

-k

Did you leave it on the kitchen table before youleft for work this morning?

Sometimes you see a sidearm in the thigh holster and sometimes you don't.Another thing that annoys me is the Officer in the campaign is wearing a BDU top in ACU which doesn't exist in the army and he has it buttoned all the way up to the top like some idiot at a reception battalion that has no idea how to wear the BDU uniform properly.:biggrin_o:

If there would be a pistol in holster function, it would also be cool to have NVG on your helmet.

Nicolai

If there would be a pistol in holster function, it would also be cool to have NVG on your helmet.

Nicolai

From a technical standpoint, it's quite a challenge to make this work universally. As with the pistols in holsters, not every unit has a helmet or the same type of helmet. You have to adjust the proxy position according to each model. While this is doable, it might make the NVGs not line up properly with the user's eyes then (also, I think NVGs share a proxy with glasses, but perhaps I'm mistaken). IRL, they are adjustable and you can often attach it differently (for example if you don't have a helmet mount).

Same deal with holsters. You'd have to create a holster model and position the pistol proxy relative to it such that it looks right for as many different pistol models as possible (and because of the potentially infinite amount of pistol models BI & the community can make, it's impossible for them all to fit). Granted, you could get around this by making the holster also a proxy and allow the pistol to define which holster model it uses, but that's means a lot more work and there's still a issue of the two proxies' positions relative to eachother (unless the pistol proxy was part of the holster proxy). Actually, this would probably be entirely feasible, but it seems like a lot of work just for such a small detail. If we are lucky, maybe BIS will decide to look into it (including doing more with proxies) for the next iteration of the ArmA series.