Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

AH-64 Pack

I'm pretty sure you guys are breaking at least the human rights paragraph about mental torture :p

Engine limitation there.

Yea, i figured it would, thought i may as well ask to see if you may have had a work around.

It's a deep down rendering thing. You can't render multiple cameras at once.

Oh, i think i may have missed something.

I thought it was the original pilot view with a restricted view, smaller FOV and green filter, didn't realise it was a camera view.

The PNVS view is just the pilot's optics view linked to the PNVS turret.

I thought it was the original pilot view with a restricted view, smaller FOV and green filter, didn't realise it was a camera view.

Note how the optic view is able to look through the cockpit, if we did something like that right now the cockpit would block the view, more or less voiding the whole purpose of the optic sensor in that you see from the aircrafts nose and can look all around, including under the aircraft.

That said, it is something we'll definately be shooting for in TKOH and Arma 3 pending results.

Edited by NodUnit

I mean virtual camera in 3d space. Like, your player's eyes is 1 camera. I don't think you can have another camera in ArmA 2, so no remote camera outputting to a screen like in Take On.

Not exactly sure how it is with the -60s, but everything in the AH-64A manual says once your fuel switch is on, master ignition is on, all you have to do is momentarily hold the associated engine switch on for a second or two and the startup is automatic from there. The mind boggling question I have is mostly related to APU starts.

Fantastic stuff on the WCA page, then. As for the PNVS...see below.

While I can't speak for the specifics of the Apache, again, I'm guessing it's similar. The start up would be something along the following:

-various checks before starting the APU, eventually turning the battery on.

-Air source for the APU selected and then some sort of fuel source for the APU selected.

-APU control ON.

-APU starts itself.

After a bunch of other checks...

-Engine 1 starter on.

-After some known time/Ng/TGT setting, you move the PCL to the start position.

-Engine 1 starts itself.

-Repeat for Engine 2.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

Ok, second video of the week is a brief action video, showing part of the campaign mission 'Emerald Forge' to give you a feel of what it's like in the game:

Nice touch on the APR-49 talking.

Engine limitation there.
Note how the optic view is able to look through the cockpit, if we did something like that right now the cockpit would block the view, more or less voiding the whole purpose of the optic sensor in that you see from the aircrafts nose and can look all around, including under the aircraft.

That said, it is something we'll definately be shooting for in TKOH and Arma 3 pending results.

Bummer. That EECH video is a much better representation of how it actually looks. There was a lot wrong with that series, but it got some stuff like that right.

Thanks for indulging in my rantings. Again, I continue to look forward to your work.

*WIP game

Still waiting 3 years later... :(

3 years?

I've been waiting since '03 or '04 when they first started on that. :p

3 years?

I've been waiting since '03 or '04 when they first started on that. :p

Damn, nearly enough motivation to learn programming and ask to help :P

This might've already been asked, in which case I'm late to the game, but... Does the inter-aircraft text messaging system work? And will it be possible to network between helicopters in a flight to assign target lanes and the like? From one aircraft's radar picture?

This might've already been asked, in which case I'm late to the game, but... Does the inter-aircraft text messaging system work? And will it be possible to network between helicopters in a flight to assign target lanes and the like? From one aircraft's radar picture?

No text messaging between aircraft, but target sharing and PFZs are in.

No text messaging between aircraft, but target sharing and PFZs are in.

Interesting...

Group chat fills the role anyway.

Well, since nobody else has asked yet...

With ArmA3 alpha next week, you guys plan to continue ArmA2 work or start porting to ArmA3?

Well, since nobody else has asked yet...

With ArmA3 alpha next week, you guys plan to continue ArmA2 work or start porting to ArmA3?

Alpha is next week, 'Beta Q2', so i assume release will be around Q3-4, probably early 4 or late 3 as they'll spend most of 3 polishing bugs found in the Alpha and beta stages, plus from what i've heard porting addons to Arma 3 is much easier than Arma 1-2, unless of course RTT and any Physx stuff wants to be implemented, which will no doubt require updated BIS tools, which probably won't be released until the full game is released... so, from my point of view it seems easier to finish off in Arma 2 with a basic port to Arma 3 and then expand upon/update later on down the track.

ArmA2 work will continue for the duration until ArmA3 tools are ready; we'd be progressing a lot faster if it weren't for computer crashes and getting sick. If we're within 2-3 weeks of ArmA3's gold release and we still haven't made a release, we will likely put out an initial version for A2 and keep incremental updates as time goes by.

Glad to hear that, would be a shame if this promising project would not be available for Arma 2. :)

unless of course RTT and any Physx stuff wants to be implemented, which will no doubt require updated BIS tools.

Not necessarily, chances are it functions very much like TKOH does and there have been users who have experimented with RTT with TKOH: Rearmed. I suspect the implementation would be similar if not the same, but we still have a promise to keep. The question comes down to how well it could be integrated to suit our needs and wether the refresh rate would make it a reliable surveillance system.

Edited by NodUnit

I actually expected to see posts here following the release of the ArmA 3 alpha. I mostly wanted to ask what the team thought of the slightly different flight physics in A3.

A3 work will not be conducted until we've made an initial release for A2, so we haven't had a chance to really try things out in A3.

Haven't dinked around with the joystick enough yet to really say. And while we are working on A2 for priority, A3 is certainly on at least one of our minds...some reasons better than others.

As many of you know, PIP has been integrated into A3 which presents us especially with many bright opportunities! Opportunities to have not only having TADS and PNVS cameras in either display, but also the monocle, allowing us to see from the nose of the heli in DTV or FLIR.

However Arma 3's thermal mask appears to suffer a problem with contrasting. When you first view the screen the thermals are crisp, sharp and varied, allowing you to much more clearly see tree's, roads, bushes and even grass.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma%203%20and%20Bugs/thermal1_zpsa1250c28.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma%203%20and%20Bugs/thermal2_zps9bb7a77e.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma%203%20and%20Bugs/thermal3_zps7540e8a9.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma%203%20and%20Bugs/TC1_zps07513648.jpg

However seconds after, the screen changes and much of that detail is lost.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Arma%203%20and%20Bugs/TJ2_zpsf003a244.jpg Notice by comparison to the above pic, that you can't even see the bush anymore despite being in the same spot.

This presents a massive problem as A. it is not as realistic as the true thermal imaging and B. it damaged opportunity to navigate by seeing our environment with much clarity, it also makes FLIR far too easy because all you have to do is search for white objects, whereas the shots above show that the environment can be far more confusing and even require a second glance to be sure that what you are shooting at is indeed a person and not a bit of rock or dirt.

For this reason I have made a tracker in hopes that the devs will give thermals imaging a closer look as they have done to the lighting in general, I see this as being a major loss in simulation and opportunity not only for us and the apache but for all modern platform across all fronts. http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=2899 If you agree that this could be damaging to the games potential, please do not hesitate to make your voice known.

Edited by NodUnit

So, small update:

CPG finally has full functionality to include cockpit actions and same pages that pilot has access to, which was a big hurdle for us and marks a significant milestone. The CPG will be more involved in the cockpit than the pilot as he focuses on the 'menial' tasks like PFZs, target aquisition, weapon management, etc.

ah64d_cpg_1_031013.jpg

The second part is the light and medium damage, which consists of simple bullet holes and impacts on the body. This is the first part of the damage system; the second part is more significant damage which may take a bit longer before it's ready. Actual effects will be the usual: loss of weapons, sensors, hydraulics, controls, fires; plus secondary effects to include malfunctions in various computer systems affecting capabilities for navigation, targeting, and information sharing.

ah64d_dam1_031013.jpg

This is all for A2 and we're not shifting to A3 until it gets near a full release. We're hoping to be able to make a real release long before then but it will likely not include everything we wanted to do. At a minimum it will be the AH-64D Block II (including NR variant), a small campaign, several single missions, and several multiplayer missions. From that point we hope to bring in the AH-64D Block II+, AH-64D Block III, and AH-64As, all with associated missions and an extra campaign or two if we can swing it.