Sign in to follow this  
Forum Troll

Stryker Armor Strength

and have more reliance on killing the crew of damaged a system or vital part of a vehicle rather than the magic explodey.

I don't know how you people even survive without ACE 2.

With a clean rpt :D.

Yeah, the Stryker is very weak here. It is a shame really because the vehicle is very useful.

I agree completely. I would really love to see damaged components and fires start and stuff- not just a catastrophic explosion all of the time.

I think that instead of changing to a destroyed vehicle all of a sudden, it would be nice to have a fire start maybe and the vehicle becomes destroyed over time. Maybe having a burning vehicle and an explosion sometime later to hide the model switch would be sufficient.

In one of the videos I saw of rpgs vs. humvees, an rpg set the windshield glass on fire. Now that's some weird stuff!

If it was an up armored humvee then it was moreso plexiglass..still yeah that is very strange.

I think that instead of changing to a destroyed vehicle all of a sudden, it would be nice to have a fire start maybe and the vehicle becomes destroyed over time. Maybe having a burning vehicle and an explosion sometime later to hide the model switch would be sufficient.

Like with the new tanks in OA. They catch on fire before exploding. That would be great to have on ALL vechiles. Some shouldnt even explode.

Yea the damage model in Arma is a bit wonky. A T34 can survive hits from a PG-7 rocket, which has several times the penetration as it's armor. A much more funny thing is that a BRDM or BTR60 can take more RPG hits than the stryker or a Bradley! Also, the ERA on many vehicles doesn't seem to do much if at all...

Edit: Also, HEDP and other HE rounds do not have the effectiveness that you would expect against light targets. You can smack a BTR60 with 3 HEDP SMAW/MAAWS and it'll jsut loose it's wheels.

Edit2: Also, helicopters take too little damage from direct RPG hits and hits to the cockpit area to not injure crew.

Edited by Xerxes-17

HEDP isn't meant for medium armor like the BTR. It's meant for structures and light "armor" like a truck. It's not meant for anything more.

HEDP isn't meant for medium armor like the BTR. It's meant for structures and light "armor" like a truck. It's not meant for anything more.

so 6-10mm is enough to stop it?

A BTR-60 or BRDM is light armour. A truck is unarmoured.

Light armour (which includes all APC's and scout vehicles) is traditionally classed as able to stop infantry small arms upto .50 MG, Artillery shell splinters and hand grenades. Any Anti-Tank weapon is capable of taking them out.

Slat armour is an attempt to give APC's a chance against RPG's but is reported to be effective only about 50% of the time.

Modern IFV's and CFV's that are pushing 30 tonnes or more are blurring the line into medium armour class able to withstand a few RPG's.

As for everything going up in a Fireball-Of-Death I expect that's a marketing decision. If things aren't going up in a Hollywood F-O-D then how are they going to sell this game to 12 year olds?

A BTR-60 or BRDM is light armour. A truck is unarmoured.

Light armour (which includes all APC's and scout vehicles) is traditionally classed as able to stop infantry small arms upto .50 MG, Artillery shell splinters and hand grenades. Any Anti-Tank weapon is capable of taking them out.

Slat armour is an attempt to give APC's a chance against RPG's but is reported to be effective only about 50% of the time.

Modern IFV's and CFV's that are pushing 30 tonnes or more are blurring the line into medium armour class able to withstand a few RPG's.

As for everything going up in a Fireball-Of-Death I expect that's a marketing decision. If things aren't going up in a Hollywood F-O-D then how are they going to sell this game to 12 year olds?

I don't think that light armour has been able to stop .50 calibre rounds until recently. The m113 and the bmp are not capable of withstanding such rounds. On these vehicles, I think even .30 cal projectiles will penetrate from the sides.

Yes, I never played any after Soldiers, the micromanagement could drive you nuts but the damage was excellent. A Codemasters title oddly enough.

More of the same but with some improvementas to AI and interface that take over a little of the micro management for you.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

I think we are beginning to seriously underestimate the power of an rpg-7 in this thread.

The supposition that a humvee can withstand an rpg-7 hit seems a bit ludicrous. Even the old pg-7 rocket can penetrate 33 cm of armour. That's 13 inches. What you're trying to tell me by that is that the humvee has armour equivalent to over 1 foot of armour grade steel. The pg-7vl, the most common rocket depicted in ArmA 2 (I think), penetrates just less than twice that, at around 50cm or 20 inches. The pg-7vr penetrates 60-70cm, 20-40% more than the vl. Modern industry can do marvellous things, and I would be delighted to hear that they have made a truck that can take more beating than an APC, but I just don't see it happening.

I posted in a previous thread a link to a tradoc and referred to a page regarding what rpg screens are for. It showed a graph of rpg penetrating power over distance from the point of detonation. I think there are a couple of reasons for the rpg screen but they are not bullet proof solutions to the problems rpgs pose.

In my experience in OA, the Stryker can take a few hits by RPGs before they are rendered totally useless / explode. I think that plays out well enough.

Regarding the tank that took 70 rpgs hits and survived: That doesn't surprise me. MBTs are in a totally other world than rpgs / law rockets / at-4s. I'm no more surprised to read that than I would if I read that a Chally 2 tank took 700 hits from a baseball bat and kept driving. And yet, there have been reports of m1s being damaged by RPG-7s- even so badly as penetrating the side skirts and setting the hydraulic system on fire.

I think the game could use some more depth to the minimalHit type damage system- but to make an rpg no big deal for apcs I think would be the wrong way to go.

Theres different types of RPG warhead.

I think these two pictures are an example of each type.

Anti personnel

abrams7.jpg

Anti-tank

rpg7_abrams.jpg

As ever the key to this thread is going to be the balliistic modelling of penetration.

I don't think that light armour has been able to stop .50 calibre rounds until recently. The m113 and the bmp are not capable of withstanding such rounds. On these vehicles, I think even .30 cal projectiles will penetrate from the sides.

Depends on exactly which variant of which decade of the vehicles and which variant of the ammo you are using. Not to mention range.

As a general rule the front and turret of the BMP-2 is armored against .50 cal AP. the sides and rear upto 7.62mm AP.

M113 is given as armoured upto 7.62mm AP all round.

More of the same but with some improvementas to AI and interface that take over a little of the micro management for you.

Nice, I just reinstalled Soldiers, I may have to look that one up.

Depends on exactly which variant of which decade of the vehicles and which variant of the ammo you are using. Not to mention range.

As a general rule the front and turret of the BMP-2 is armored against .50 cal AP. the sides and rear upto 7.62mm AP.

M113 is given as armoured upto 7.62mm AP all round.

Yes... you said that light armour is 'traditionally' classed against .50 cal. I don't agree. I think it would be more apt to say that they are traditionally classed against assault and battle rifles and medium machineguns.