Sign in to follow this  
b00tsy

switching weapons - AI issues

Since I little while I am noticing some AI issues when playing a custom mission in AO.

The first issue is that when I let my men overwatch a position (sniper rifles) some or all of them choose to use the side arm and try to take out enemes with a pistol from 500 meter range...while they have a sniper rifle for long range shots. It can't be right that the AI prefers to use a pistol when they carry a long range rifle or any other rifle.

The second issue is that the team mates sometimes become unresponsive to my commands after they switched to the side arm when proned. Well they do listen, but they can not move. I found out by switching to the AI units that they were holding the side arm. When I use the weapon switch drop down I saw the side arm as selectable while he was already holding the side arm in his hands. After manually switching all the weapons of the AI to rifles (dropdown correctly displayed) they could move again and were acting on my commands again. In the mission I was playing I had to switch to my AI units every 10 minutes and fix the side arm issue so that they could move again.

Anyone else experienced these problems? If yes, has the bug been reported yet?

Since I little while I am noticing some AI issues when playing a custom mission in AO.

The first issue is that when I let my men overwatch a position (sniper rifles) some or all of them choose to use the side arm and try to take out enemes with a pistol from 500 meter range...while they have a sniper rifle for long range shots. It can't be right that the AI prefers to use a pistol when they carry a long range rifle or any other rifle.

The second issue is that the team mates sometimes become unresponsive to my commands after they switched to the side arm when proned. Well they do listen, but they can not move. I found out by switching to the AI units that they were holding the side arm. When I use the weapon switch drop down I saw the side arm as selectable while he was already holding the side arm in his hands. After manually switching all the weapons of the AI to rifles (dropdown correctly displayed) they could move again and were acting on my commands again. In the mission I was playing I had to switch to my AI units every 10 minutes and fix the side arm issue so that they could move again.

Anyone else experienced these problems? If yes, has the bug been reported yet?

I noticed the side arm thing in one of the campaign misisons, cant remember which one. Cant really help you with that one, but:

About your team not responding. Are you using the latest Beta patch? Without that, until the next patch release there is an issue with squad members not responding once they have gone into Danger mode. They are OK in Aware, Safe, etc, but once they enter Danger stance, they can just hit the dirt and not follow any orders.

[72966] Fixed: AI stuck while in combat/stealth mode
Beta Patch here

EDIT: Fixed the link, was pointing to the log for latest beta patch.

Edited by Bascule42

"AI not switching back on their own from handgun to primary weapon/rifle" is there since OFP. :confused:

Possible solution/workaround if BIS would implement the command "switch to <weapon>" for AI in Action (6) menu.

I am using version 1.54 and if I remember right I did had the men in stealth mode when I encountered this issue. I was not aware there is already a new beta patch out, will give it a try thanks.

Would indeed be nice to be able to command your team to switch to rifles instead of having to do it myself manually, which is only possible when the team mates are switchable/playable.

This is still a problem. Playing BAF single scenarios and my sniper pulled out his sidearm and became immobile. You can fix the problem in missions that have teamswitch enabled by just switching to the guy and putting his gun away. But in missions where this in not enabled (such as the BAF "kill the enemy armor" scenario) the guy just sits there.

I notice this happens a lot to "special forces" type units. Play the SECOPS scenario in OA and it will happen eventually ...

"AI not switching back on their own from handgun to primary weapon/rifle" is there since OFP.

What else is new, this is an old bug, or at least i think its a bug,

this has been something the Ai does and for what reason maybe based on

their location or something but they have done this since OFP.

My solution that worked: remove all side arms form AI units :D

It was mentioned that the stuck AI bug was due to danger/stealth mode, but it seems to be the side arm switch thats causing it. Without a side arm the AI has no problem in stealth/danger mode so far. Could of course be that the bug is due to a combination of both combat mode and side arm switch.

Edited by B00tsy

This bug still exists. :(

I was playing my latest mission just now and my AI team mates became unresponsive again lying on the ground with their heads in to the ground holding their side arms. This is one annoying bug I have to say. It is such a bummer when the team mates just sit there no matter what order you give. I played the mission in MP mode so had to kill my team mates for them to respawn, that fixed the bug.

I did not record it when all the AI team mates were unresponsive, but I played the mission again and this time 1 AI went unresponsive again:

RKN9q9SDPm4

Maybe an idea to implement that AI team mates will only switch weapons if the team leader/player gives the command to do so.

Just remove all pistols from AI:

// remove inapporiate equipment
{
	private["_weapon"];
	_weapon = _x;
	if ((getNumber (configFile/"CfgWeapons"/_weapon/"type")) == 2) then
	{
		_unit removeWeapon _weapon;
	};
} forEach (weapons _unit);

Just remove all pistols from AI:

// remove inapporiate equipment
{
	private["_weapon"];
	_weapon = _x;
	if ((getNumber (configFile/"CfgWeapons"/_weapon/"type")) == 2) then
	{
		_unit removeWeapon _weapon;
	};
} forEach (weapons _unit);

Yeah the point is that I created a stealth mission that also requires close quarter combat (indoor), would be nice if your AI team can use uzi's and other side arms. The solution to remove side arms is not a real solution, just a bypass to a bug that is still there. Bit silly that AI can't use side arms.

And to add, that the AI still switches to the side arm when there are enemy AI present at long range. They only should switch weapons at close range. They have a scoped rifle for long range, but decide to use the uzi :/

Bug still existing in april 2013 ...