Sign in to follow this  
BadShinnyPlayer

one magazine slot on weapon (also a grenade slot for weapon w/ GL)

Is it possible to have one magazine slot on the weapon itself? cause when a weapon has a magazine loaded, it shouldn't take up a slot in the inventory, since its in the weapon.

First we need a way of unloading magazines (without replacing them). Otherwise, once that mag is loaded you can't drop it.

definitely needed, this would make such a HUGE difference to gameplay

/sarcasm

definitely needed, this would make such a HUGE difference to gameplay

/sarcasm

That kind of reasoning is just retarded. The little details contribute to the bigger picture.

Considering the amount of work needed to make this work (basically make guns containers +++) compared to the little gain it offers, I have to agree with Mudkip; it matters just about nothing to gameplay.

Considering the amount of work needed to make this work (basically make guns containers +++) compared to the little gain it offers, I have to agree with Mudkip; it matters just about nothing to gameplay.

Ya, it does actually matter IMHO. Since it frees a slot from the main inventory.

for example:

assume normal combat load for rifleman is: 7 30rnd STANAG mag, 3 Frags, 1 white smoke.

There is 12 slot in main inventory

w/o slot in gun:

7 magazines will take up 7 slots, while the grenade will take up total of 4 slots. Thus leaves only 1 slot free.

w/ slot in gun:

7 magaziness will only take up 6 slots (as one in magazine is on the rifle), while the grenades will take up 4 slots (as usual), which leaves 2 slots free (making it available to IR beacon or smoke of other color (for marking landing zone)or a beta C-mag(which uses 2 slots I think).

Thus, the extra slot does matter!

Just request an extra inventory slot?

I mean, it would be nice if the weapon actually held its own magazine, and wouldn't object it being implemented, but I don't see major benefits to having it.

In fact the inventory is a overall inventory, not what a soldiers carries in his bags. So it is not 12 inventory slots all in the vest but 11 + 1.

And before one drops the "loaded M136 shouldn't then not take ammoslots", this is to simulate at least a bit the weight of the overall inventory. It is a game balancing thing.

Myke;1725064']In fact the inventory is a overall inventory' date=' not what a soldiers carries in his bags. So it is not 12 inventory slots all in the vest but 11 + 1.

And before one drops the "loaded M136 shouldn't then not take ammoslots", this is to simulate at least a bit the weight of the overall inventory. It is a game balancing thing.[/quote']

But the fact is, doing that will make it inconsistent. Anyway, I like the idea loaded magazines being stored in the weapons themselves, and returned to the inventory when (we would need this feature then) unloaded. It just makes more sense. If you load a magazine into your weapon, it usually becomes a single entity until you forcibly seperate them. And theoretically, IRL, if you removed one magazine from your bag/pouch/whatever and loaded it into your weapon, you would in fact be making more room.

The problem is that ArmA 2 still lacks a weight system for the inventory. If we had that, then all you would need to do is add the weight of the magazine to the weapon when it's loaded (STALKER does this), and you wouldn't suddenly gain the ability to carry more weight, which IMO would currently be the only issue with this idea.

Of course slots cannot really represent weight, because there is no benefit for filling less than your entire bag and you can't fill more than your entire bag, so in the end everyone will want to load up on the same weight, which is not true IRL, where depending on what you need you may or may not want to carry more weight and suck up the disadvantages. In Arma 2 (without ACE, and even to some degree with ACE) you want to carry as much as the game allows you to, simply because you can and the penalty is non-existent (or a small with ACE as long as you don't go completely crazy).

Just request an extra inventory slot?

I mean, it would be nice if the weapon actually held its own magazine, and wouldn't object it being implemented, but I don't see major benefits to having it.

underslung grenade launcher's ammo is in secondary pouch

You're talking about pretty significant engine upgrades that would possibly break backwards compatibility. For a single (or two) ammo slots? It's like upgrading your VW Beetle engine with a Ferrari engine so you can go 1 km/h faster - nobody does that.

Okay, Alpha Romeo to Ferrari then. The Beetle analogy belongs to a certain other game I guess :p Who would pay the price to upgrade the engine for that price if the end goal was so little?

It would be understandable to desire a complete rewamp of the whole slot system, i.e. slot, pouch selection (hidden selections for everything else on a model) via proxies, equipment weights and sizes, pouch slot compatibility vs item type lists (no 200rnd SAW ammo in a magazine slot in a rifleman pouch, you'd have to have a SAW gunner pouch) etc. At least there would be a lot to gain.

But for the original effect (an extra slot), still I say no thanks.

Agree with CarlGustaffa. Such a change would break pretty much every single existing script that performs magazine-checks and would necessitate a revamp of quite a few addons and other mission scripts.

It would indeed be nice with an improved system for this, so that the magazine state of a weapon is stored within the weapon object itself, for example if a surrendering soldier drops just the weapon or if we get a bit modified 'looting' system where picking stuff up takes time, so one might only want the weapon and not additional magazines.

In the end though this belongs more as an ArmA3 upgrade (one that I really hope comes), but within ArmA2 it'd cause more trouble than benefit.

Oh no doubt such a redesign of the inventory would only be feasible for the next iteration of the game.

Nice idea, currently I can load up the large backpack with a Javelin/Stinger/etc launcher and four mags for my primary rifle. Then I place two javelin/whatever takes six slots rockets in my main inventory, so all slots are full.

In order to use my primary rifle I have to drop the backpack to load a mag in, when quite clearly there is one already in place but empty.

It would be nice to not have to rely on my sidearm while moving from place to place until I use up one of the Javelins up, that preloaded mag would come in handy for when I get jumped out in the open.

This isn't always a problem as I tend to favour RPG-7s or MAAWS anyway and when teamed up with another player to share ammo it is fine, I just found it to be a shortfall of trying to lone wolf with one of the larger launchers or try to be effective as an AA soldier.

Myke;1725064']And before one drops the "loaded M136 shouldn't then not take ammoslots"' date=' this is to simulate at least a bit the weight of the overall inventory. It is a game balancing thing.[/quote']

If it's supposed to represent the weight, then how do you justify being able to carry up to 3 times as many rounds for the heavier SMAW and MAAW? The M136 should be a disposable weapon, not have a single round take up half your inventory.

@Liquidpinky: Okay, let me rephrase that... Bring a suitable vehicle.

BOTA:49: I agree, but the current solution is better than having them 2 slots like before. You may want M136 as a nice backup and inconvenient tool for when there is no heavies around (MAAWS/Javelin), and as such make them available in decent numbers. If you have them at 2 slots each, people tend to find ways around attempted restrictions and become walking tank killers with "infinite rounds or practice rounds".

@Liquidpinky: Okay, let me rephrase that... Bring a suitable vehicle.

BOTA:49: I agree, but the current solution is better than having them 2 slots like before. You may want M136 as a nice backup and inconvenient tool for when there is no heavies around (MAAWS/Javelin), and as such make them available in decent numbers. If you have them at 2 slots each, people tend to find ways around attempted restrictions and become walking tank killers with "infinite rounds or practice rounds".

Some of us prefer to tab or cycle everywhere when possible, the petrolheads are missing out on a lot of the finer details to the ARMA 2 maps. ;)

You have experienced nothing until you hit the deck as an Mi8 approaches and you are out in the open with no cover, wondering why you didn't hear it coming, only to realise it was a dragonfly buzzing in front of your face.

I agree on not dropping down to two slots though, the one hit guaranteed kill weapons should have some restrictions.

Yeah I use bicycles much too. But when I do I realize that I cannot be a one man army wrecking crew. If I plan to do some "serious work" with Javelin or Stinger, I'm prepared to get a HMMWV and load it up with a decent amount of ammo. Forces me to select the good I want instead of allowing be both.