Sign in to follow this  
polar bear

Let the AI take over for awhile

In OA General someone asked if it would be possible to lock down the 'W' key for those long treks across the map, so your guy could be on the run while you go to get a beer or whatever. Some people have been known to weight down the 'W' key in these situations. Problem of course is you come back and find your guy stuck behind a rock.

How about letting the AI take over for awhile? Then you could command yourself to "move there" on the map and sit back and rest your index finger, no doubt avoiding carpal tunnel syndrome.

For fairness in MP mode the AI control should be prevented from firing a weapon, so that it's only really useful for trekking around and does not provide any unfair advantage. If shot at it would take cover but essentially operate under "never fire" rules.

Player control would resume the moment any movement key is pressed and perhaps the player should even be permitted to control "free look" for scanning for ambushes.

Edited by Polar Bear

i like it. i do get a little tired of pressing w. and an AI driven vehicle isnt always close

Yeah I block the W sometimes with a toothpick when I need to walk a long distance. Would be great if the AI could take over when needed.

Haha, awesome... i like it, perhaps a "be careful and dont get killed while im getting that beer" command

lol why even bother playing a game if you dont even want to perform the lowest tasks it requires to be played?

Come on you can´t be serious :p

Although I have to admit that a function for automated thrust/gas in vehicles would be welcomed by a lot of ppl...

I usually parl my Char somewhere safe...like in a house on the town edge or even better...amidst in the desert. Though I have autorun by assigning a HOTAS slider to Fast forward I dont use it anymore, because most of the time I returned my Char had just 2-3 more deaths on its statistic. "Falling over Rocks" can kill you more often as A.I. will do with all those rocks and its tendecy to ramp start anyone walking over them. The other good thing with "parking" is that you can hold of enemy A.I. from capturing a town if you hide yourself 100m from depot in a house...this is of better use as walking around in the desert on autorun.

Edited by Beagle

lol why even bother playing a game if you dont even want to perform the lowest tasks it requires to be played?

Come on you can´t be serious :p

Although I have to admit that a function for automated thrust/gas in vehicles would be welcomed by a lot of ppl...

No, are you serious? You're going to complain about this? Some of us don't want to sit and stare blankly at a screen while having to traverse some 2000 meters to the next waypoint like you seem to enjoy.

Then you go and comment about how you would like exactly the same thing, only in vehicles? Some wrong connections in there, buddy?

I like the idea of handing the reigns over to AI for your character for those long sessions, when you gotta get a beer, or when the missus gives you that "Your on that damn game again" look... instead of closing down or pausing you can just let him fend for himself a bit... maybe get a few kills, take out some armour :D

This is already possible. Simply disconnect and your character will be taken over by AI, then you can JIP back to the same slot later.

Nothing prevents someone else taking over your character though, so not really an option on public servers.

Is there any sort of "console" in Arma2? Seems like a likely candidate for a console command.

No, are you serious? You're going to complain about this? Some of us don't want to sit and stare blankly at a screen while having to traverse some 2000 meters to the next waypoint like you seem to enjoy.

Most of my most interesting moments happen on those long treks, especially with other players, get to know them, hold off a couple teams of AI, divert to another objective, hell even defend my self from OPFOR ambushes that are set by players, why you would like this just baffles me...

My finger gets sore. I don't mind sitting there running along looking around waiting for something to happen. I just don't want to have to be holding down a key the whole time. Like I said, player control should resume the moment you hit a movement key--and possibly you should be allowed to freelook around too. That way you can be on the lookout, and react, without having to hold down w.

There is a script where you can call up an Ai driver and he will drive you to a

point on the map by map click, and then return, same for chopperss,

although I think its for Arma if I remember correctly.