Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

Well Dragon Rising was a poor man's copy of CWC
More like a poor mans copy of Armed Assault (even down to the equipment choices - and inaccuracies: AH/MH-6's and M1A2 Abrams deployed with the USMC, and NAVY UH-60's (not used for ferrying troops around) instead of Marine Corps UH-1's or CH-53's... :rolleyes: )

But they had a team of advisors, so they'd know that... right. Right?

Given the fact Sion apparently made the decisions to make nights in DR Hollywood-like, as well as the M16A4 in RR to be a combination of the A2 and A4 with tribal paint schemes and tape holding it together to "distinguish" it from their M4, I think his opinion is taking precedence over the advisers, if they even have any. :rolleyes:

They had a guy obviously trying to make the game "kewl" for the mainstream, rather than realistic for OFP's trademark niche. I think they will continue to fail so long as he's in a position of influence, and that includes being a "Creative Director", even if CM were trying to save face.

Edited by Zipper5

How could the decision have been made at the same time, OA was announced before Dragon Rising was even released, also I doubt that the decision of where to base RR was done totally independently, CM would have definitely looked at what their competitors were doing when deciding on a setting.

Either way they're hardly competing with BIS anyway. Conmasters only care about the console market, which BIS doesn't have any title for. Almost no one bought FPDR for PC, and even fewer will buy RR. I don't think it was a market-decision based on competition. Just on what would sell the absolutely most (on console), and that's a Afghanistan/Iraq war (just as OA for BIS is a decision based on customer demand). Tajikistan just picked for 'artistic freedom' and to not step on anyone's toes.

Faaarkn.....ell!! comn RR, u can do eeet, i want you too!!! i want big ass eyecandy, i want big bad ass ""UNREALISTIC""" explosions that make me duck from my monitor!!, i want """blood sprayed wantonly""" across my screen like a 2 dollar whore on the rag... fuk, throw in bullet time... let me double flip over petrol barrels with an AK and RPG, i dont want wanna script my buddies to duck and weave i want them to auto scream fuuuuuk you commie bastards with cigar in mouth yellin yeeeeehaaaw!

Does anyone have anything new too say!?

If gamings like marriage then that other game and RR is that sexy bitch we all had a turn with but deny any whore relationship at church.... liars

now where was i??? ... setVehicleVarName!!!!????

How can i keep a vehicle units name after respawn? :D

now where was i??? ... setVehicleVarName!!!!????

How can i keep a vehicle units name after respawn? :D

Oh yes please answer that guy, i need to know too!

*seriously*

Either way they're hardly competing with BIS anyway. Conmasters only care about the console market, which BIS doesn't have any title for. Almost no one bought FPDR for PC, and even fewer will buy RR. I don't think it was a market-decision based on competition. Just on what would sell the absolutely most (on console), and that's a Afghanistan/Iraq war (just as OA for BIS is a decision based on customer demand). Tajikistan just picked for 'artistic freedom' and to not step on anyone's toes.

Yeah, I do think there's a feud between the two companies, well devs, but I do think CM are after the big dollars that can come from pleasing the console crowd obviously.

Almost no one bought FPDR for PC, and even fewer will buy RR.

They really did set themselves up for that, and I'm sure they knew it too. They literally just threw DR at their PC customers without any copy protection on it whatsoever. If that doesn't get it through to you they didn't give a shit about you, then I don't know what will.

They really did set themselves up for that, and I'm sure they knew it too. They literally just threw DR at their PC customers without any copy protection on it whatsoever. If that doesn't get it through to you they didn't give a shit about you, then I don't know what will.

Repeating a lie does not make it true. DR has copy protection, even though it doesn't use product keys. They aren't mutually exclusive.

"Why waste resources to systems that only bother legitimate customers" might've been what they were thinking. Griefers always find a way to pirate and hack a game, even with Arma2.

"Why waste resources to systems that only bother legitimate customers" might've been what they were thinking. Griefers always find a way to pirate and hack a game, even with Arma2.

To type in the CD key once is much less of a bother than to have DVD in the drive all the time.

I get your point though, if a game's worth buying people generally will buy it for keys etc, thinking of Stardock here. They must have thought their game wouldn't recuperate losses from implementing a key system.... maybe... but why are they releasing a PC version now? Will it be cancelled in the 11th hour like so many?

Repeating a lie does not make it true. DR has copy protection, even though it doesn't use product keys. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Pfft, these days I won't even consider just requiring a one-time entering of a CD key as anti-piracy measures...

It is clear through-and-through that they didn't care at all about their legitimate customers, and it showed in the MP aspects during the weeks that followed. DR was literally thrown away by Codemasters, and that's quite disgusting. What's even more disgusting is to see people defend such actions, be them representatives of CM themselves, or their fans.

To type in the CD key once is much less of a bother than to have DVD in the drive all the time.

Indeed! That's why I prefer buying games from Steam. Most of the time you don't even have to type in cd keys manually for Steam games, not to mention automatic updates etc.

At least Valve/Steam still has it's own anti-piracy and anti-cheat measures.

Pfft, these days I won't even consider just requiring a one-time entering of a CD key as anti-piracy measures...

It is clear through-and-through that they didn't care at all about their legitimate customers, and it showed in the MP aspects during the weeks that followed. DR was literally thrown away by Codemasters, and that's quite disgusting. What's even more disgusting is to see people defend such actions, be them representatives of CM themselves, or their fans.

It was quite evident that the focus on DR was on single player experience and 4-player coop, which is understadable considering it's mainly a console game. I get it, it's not a true sequel to OFP. I was upset for a day or two as well, but then I got over it and judged it on its own merits.

It was advertised as anything but a single player/4-player coop game, and many people were tricked into believing it. As I've said before, my anger towards Codemasters is only partially due to what they've done to the reputation of my favorite game ever. The overwhelming majority of it lies in the much more important matter of how they lied to and cheated their customers, before eventually dropping support entirely after a couple months of release. Not only that, but they have the audacity to do it all over again with a sequel.

It's just disgusting business practice, and I will never buy a CM product again. Word of mouth works both ways, and I do my part to inform those out there considering purchasing a CM product of what they did with DR. Stopped quite a few people so far from buying F1 2010.

It was quite evident that the focus on DR was on single player experience and 4-player coop, which is understadable considering it's mainly a console game. I get it, it's not a true sequel to OFP. I was upset for a day or two as well, but then I got over it and judged it on its own merits.

You are insightful, it took most people more time to realise the true situation based on the trickle of information coming from CM from release, well done!

The original Operation Flashpoint is a CM product too :D

I think it's quite petty to write off all CM products (eg, F1 2010) just because of personal grudge and one or two misses.

Thankfully, in that situation, the money still goes to people who actually deserve it, not just Codemasters.

I write off CM products because I don't agree with their ethics. I will not forgive fraud. Also, CM have hardly had only one or two misses. Most of their games for the longest time can be regarded as mediocre at best, and games like GRID went without being patched for far too long and still lack fixes, even promised ones. Apparently the state of F1 2010 is also quite laughable. Plus, I'm not much of a fan of racing games...

Edited by Zipper5

But FPDR 's 'copy protection' did only bother those who bought it. Those who didn't could play MP - and overload the el cheapo out-sourced connection servers CM chose - and didn't have to have the DVD in the drive.

Any self-respecting developer that puts games out on PC at least makes it semi-difficult to play multi-player using the cracked version.

I don't think CM chose to implement the weakest possible copy-protection out of concern for their exploitees customers.

The original Operation Flashpoint is a CM product too :D

I think it's quite petty to write off all CM products (eg, F1 2010) just because of personal grudge and one or two misses.

The only thing CM had to do with Operation Flashpoint is publishing, the entire project, engine and everything that IS Operation Flashpoint was made by Marek and Ondrej, then BIS over the course of 10 years.

Thankfully, in that situation, the money still goes to people who actually deserve it, not just Codemasters.

I write off CM products because I don't agree with their ethics. I will not forgive fraud. Also, CM have hardly had only one or two misses. Most of their games for the longest time can be regarded as mediocre at best, and games like GRID went without being patched for far too long and still lack fixes, even promised ones. Apparently the state of F1 2010 is also quite laughable. Plus, I'm not much of a fan of racing games...

Yeah, vote with your wallet guys. It doesn't matter how bad the game will be... if you buy it during a Steam sale or whatever, you are still telling them "Please give us more crap like this, rape the OFP name some more please".

I like how F1 2010 and Dirt 2 looks (I enjoyed Dirt 1 years ago), but I won't buy either because of what CM did with OFP.

Apparently the state of F1 2010 is also quite laughable. Plus, I'm not much of a fan of racing games...

Not really, F1 2010 works brilliantly for me, very good game.

Although, when I play F1 2010, I don't give a toss about Codemasters and all that. I just care about the game itself. It's a good game, however, Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising, is not.

iT wasn't CM that ruined OFP. It was the dev team.

You cannot blame CM & ALL their products as a whole for 1 game.

Not really, F1 2010 works brilliantly for me, very good game.

He he, wait until you experience the huge pit stop bug. Or realize the AI lap times in qualifying are faked, or that the game uses catch up logic despite one of the devs saying they wouldn't. There is something fishy going on with AI lap times during the race as well but nothing has been confirmed yet. It really is the Dragon Rising of F1 racing games ;)

iT wasn't CM that ruined OFP. It was the dev team.

So CM didnt ruin dragon rising, but their staff did? :confused:

Seems like one and the same thing to me...

Their devs answer to their project leads, and their project leads answer to their management. So however you look at it, CM is to blame for CM's failures.