Sign in to follow this  
RedCanoe

Is the campaign really that bad? Want to buy.

I see quite a bit about how bad the campaign is. I am interested in the SP experience. Is it that bad? Are there enough user made campaigns to justify buying the game (and if so, which ones are great)?

Thanks so much.

Rob

It's not END OF ZE WORLD bad as some make it out to be. Frankly, I've never had any issues with it apart from one out-of-memory crash on Manhattan, and I've probably played it through about 5 times. There's only one thing I really don't like about it, and that's the last two missions as they're in the style of the Warfare game mode.

But it's got a good, mature storyline and shows off the infantry simulation of the game quite well. It's an entertaining campaign so long as you don't experience said issues.

Eagle Wing, which was added in 1.05, is a much stronger campaign, but is quite short. There are a bunch of user-made campaigns and missions out there that are fantastic, and to name them all to you would take a while. Just have a look around here, OFPEC, or Armaholic for them.

I don't think it's as bad as some people make it to be.

Sure, I enjoyed the OFP campaign more, but that's probably the nostalgia factor kicking in.

Personally, I didn't like the Warfare-type missions at the end but enjoyed the rest.

Be sure to get the 1.05 patch which gives you the Eagle Wing campaign for free. Very good experience if you're into thick atmosphere.

Besides, even if neither gets you you can always play with the editor - you're just a few clicks away from great fun.

imo the campaigns are not bad at all on the contrary i reall liked the Harvest Red campaign

especially the second half with the Manhattan mission and the two warfare missions named Badlands and Dogs of War.

i think whether you are going to like the warfare missions depends on what kinds of other games you like/prefer.

the WF mission are kinda of a RTS missions which you can play from both a fps and rts point of view.

The Campaign is still a bit buggy, more buggy for some and less buggy for others.

The other campaign is pretty ok too.

Regarding user made missions and camp i think there is lots but i don't know.

Edited by zdavid99

Different people have different opinions.

I enjoyed it a lot right up to the part where they introduced warfare-mode. (last 2/3 missions)

Some people liked the warfare mode though ;)

The Eagle wing scenario is very good however, it creates moments not experienced in missions of any other game! and it came free with BIS' awesome patch-support along with a free apache heli :)

I'd say DEFINITELY get this game! you won't regret it...

Contrary to other games, this game is half single player orientated, half MP. For my part i don't like MP and i'm playing those games since 2001 on an every day basis (+ modding of course).

What makes this game unique is the mission editor IMO. Countless hours spent on building your own missions, with or without addons. Or simply visit the map.

I agree with prof in prev post, you can spend hours, days and months in the editor and still never have 2 scenarios the same.

Just cos I was bored I had a look for you on user made missions that are available (free) on just the first 2 sites I looked at.. Armaholic and Armed assault info websites. There are other sites, but they were the first 2 I looked at for you.

OK here is what is available right NOW today march 2010. (new missions are being made EVERY day!!)

Armed assault info site.

9 Campaigns (a couple are lite versions of others so say 6 campaigns ish)

65 single player missions

122 multiplayer missions

Armaholic site

12 Campaigns (again some may be lite versions of others so call it 9 not 12)

210 single player missions

302 multiplayer missions

75 mission packs IE bundled groups of missions

SO before you even make a single mission of your own thats all sitting there ready to go for you..... free!

(obviously some missions on 1 site may be also on the other site, but hopefully you get an idea of scale... mission making in Arma is a BIG thing that just keeps on getting bigger and better on a daily basis)

I haven't even touched on mods that do everything from small tweaks to adding units/ vehicles/ new islands/ complete changes of game eg a sheep breeding financial game lol etc etc. The list is just huge, the quality is pretty stunning in many many cases.

In all the years I buy games this one dvd disk is the smallest part, its the community stuff (by the bucket load) that makes this game continue to grow/ thrive and keep on getting better.

Even if the shipped Campaign was the worst on the planet (which it isn't) the sheer YEARS of fun and ongoing Community input to constantly improve the game and add missions, new units, islands, tech capabilities, are the best value I ever got from a single game.

I play on and off for 8 years now and STILL I am not bored, thats some achievement,

I take my hat off to all the modders, modellers, mission makers and very bright scripters etc. Obviously BIS has major role and patches have been made available right through the 8 years of series from origonal Operation Flash days.

Ok enough you get the Idea

HTH

Gen

The warfare mode levels are great in my opinion... I liked the whole thing. Hit 2 or 3 bugs that required me to trash my save games, but other than that, it worked great.

Thanks for the great replies. I'm sold. I was intimidated at first with the Demo, but I reinstalled it the other night and am loving it. I got a TrackIR which makes a big difference for me, especially in the vehicles. Also the fact that you can save anywhere and there the recruit difficulty seems to be pretty noob friendly is a deal maker for me.

There are a couple of reasons why people bash the campaign.

First, it's not like the CWC campaign, which *was* an excellent campaign. Unfortunately, it was so excellent that it has given us a bit of the 'classic car' syndrome.

Secondly, parts of it rely on a highly complex 'Warfare' game mode. It was complicated and prone to bugs. Several patches later many of the bugs have been ironed out. Historically, though, if it was not unplayable it was certainly not completable. I've played the thing all the way through and with the newest patch, I haven't found any campaign related bugs. Every once in a while, odd things happen like the UAV will crash or whatever but I don't think those are single player campaign related faults.

I loved the demo missions, so I bought the game, I didn't quite like the official campaign (I haven't even played it through) so I came here to the forums to look for some stuff.

Ever since the question is not "which game should I play tonight?", rather "what should I play in ArmaWorld tonight?" (There are some user made missions that can be played for neverending hours).

The game you can buy is more like a simulation framework with some premade stuff, the value lies somewhere else.

The only con is the game being too addictive. :)

The only con is the game being too addictive.

lol Hit the nail on the head, 8 years and still "hooked" :D

what should I play in ArmaWorld tonight?

I have probably spent the last 2 months having fun just with Helis and still I haven't covered loads of what is possible!

Think my favorite is LittleBird in the Ace mod. Can land it in the most ridiculous places (Check your back garden,roof, Top of chimney stack, Mast tower, If there's a littlebird in it or on it, its me lol) been blasting through the bases of the docks cranes @ 130K with only 1 metre clearance that's an a** clencher lol Try blasting through the Frame structure with roofs (sorta barns without walls) thats a bit tight, the old adrenalin fairly kicks in I can tell ya. Or what about approaching hangers at speed, getting into the hanger, 180 turn and back out again, great for fine control practice. Radio masts are fair game too (just don't try and get out after "parking" rofl)

----------------------------------

Actually if anyone has a fast system and fraps or whatever maybe we could get together and put together a vid just for the fun of it. (unfortunately I can't get a decent framerate when I run fraps, so am stuffed for screen captures). PM me if anyone is interested.TS,Vent,Mumble or whatever, or we can use Voip in game (you will need ace mod for Littlebirds) Maybe this is of some use to some Arma "Directors"

-----------------------------------

Gen

Imo, no. The campaign is far from being "that bad".

I think the gameplay and objectives, although devilishly hard for a person used to more casual games, is pretty good. The storyline was really cool, and I can't think of any objectives that aren't fun to try and accomplish. There was quite a few bugs/scripting errors in it(and some say there still is) but my second playthrough went way smoother than the first one.

intially, yes the campaign sucked, not because it was boring, but because it was well..... absurdly buggy (this is v1.0 we are talking here). there have been vast improvement since then and they are pretty much all iron out.

Also, if you are new to arma the voice acting may get to you a bit... it's pretty bloody terrible but hey....hopefully OA will make an improvement.

Overall though, been playing for 8 years, still finding new things to do. Very addicitive (too much really...) plus there is a fantastic community that will last forever.

Edited by cm.

If you are a CWC fan, you'll probably skip the last 2 warfare missions, but you'll love the rest of the campaign.

Unlike Arma 1, the Red Harvest campaign actually has a storyline, characters, decent cut-scenes, etc. It's very en-grossing.

And some may disagree with me, but when Manhatten works correctly (I think it does with the right patches now), it's the best OFP mission I've ever played of any kind. It's a total free roam/branching mission but still structured perfectly. There's nothing quite like getting an objective, marking your insertion point, planning your approach, and executing it all within the confines of the mission. Then returning to base to your fire-base, discussing the outcome, and getting another objective tied in with what you just did.

You have to experience it to understand exactly what I'm talking about.

Actually, the campaign is good. It portrays a conflict in a very realistic way, it really feels like a political situation, with different factions fighting for different causes.

I kind of disliked the campaign to be honest, but that's because I got sidetracked by the editor and mods and then ACE2 came out and now the campaign is too hard to play and I can't part with my precious ACE2 and omg!! ;)

I'd love to play through the campaign, but unfortunately due to stability issues :( I haven't been able to get past Razor Two. Go figure.

I'd love to play through the campaign, but unfortunately due to stability issues :( I haven't been able to get past Razor Two. Go figure.

The campaign is nice. Not epic like the old Opflash campaign, but still enjoyable.

You'll learn how to avoid the bugs.

I find the campain to be not to exiting. I like parts of it, especially securing weapons from militia groups and laser designating targets, but my main issue with the campaign is simply that it's the feel of "super hero" I get from it. A team of four soliders, special ops or not, is never going to single handedly define the outcome of any given conflict. No way in hell sir. In Ofp, I felt I contributed as much as I could do. Special ops missions made sense taking out important units to help larger operations later in the game, the same with tank and helicopter missions wich I enjoyed very much.

But nontheless... the game is brilliant, just brilliant. And the patch 1.05 makes up for every misstake from my point of view. The extra campain was much better, though short

I just cant play campaign cos of performance, i will play it when i upgrade my system. It isnt unplayable on my machine, but i like to have FPS > than 30.

It is like downloading a new movie SCREEN from internet, you just ruing the fun....bether to wait HD :P