Sign in to follow this  
PsychoPigeon

ArmA not working with the Radeon 4890?

Just installed my new card, all other games work fine but i started up ArmA and it took 3-4 minutes to get into the main menu and once it got there the screen was all black with a vague background that you could only just make out.

The sound was stuttering aswell.

Anyone have this issue with the 4890 card?

Have you tried the 1.16 Beta Patch yet?

It helps a lot if you post as many details as possible if you ask for help. ;)

hmm can't read german, but thanks for the reply. And no i haven't tried the 1.16, didn't wana lose my current server favourites atm.

hmm can't read german

Why not to use "altavista babelfish" for translation?

Why not to use "altavista babelfish" for translation?

Because it doesn't work, i'd rather try and learn german

I had the same problem when i got my 4870, 1.16 beta patch fixes it :)

Because it doesn't work, i'd rather try and learn german

lol, good idea :dance1:

What they proposed is:

a) installing ArmA 1.16 Beta Patch

b) starting ArmA in windowed mode (-window)

c) updating ATI drivers (Catalyst 9.5)

No feedback yet because they just installed his old 4870, or whatever it was, which worked alright with ArmA.

I have no problems with my 4890 and Arma 1.14 and 1.16 beta. Using the latest display driver.

setting every detail on very high works for me right now (texture settings on very high too)

still now.

Thing is i can't even get into the main menu, it's all just blanked out and very very slow. I know a reinstall would fix it but it takes sooo long! There must be a work around

Does a patch reset them?

I won't be able to play on 1.14 servers if i have the 1.16 patch installed won't i?

yes you do. 1.16b is a BETA and therefore installed separatelly. 2 shortcuts to 2 different EXE's.

Go son, go!

ah but that would still mean i'd lose my current server favs, but i will get the 1.16 and see if it works.

ah but that would still mean i'd lose my current server favs, but i will get the 1.16 and see if it works.
then run in window mode or limit your system RAM at Boot. i dont remember there being a issue with the 1.14 and ATI except for vista 64 and more than 4gb...

how do i start the game in window mode?

Add -window to the shortcut.

ah ok, playing in window mode seems to make it work. kind of annoying but it will do until Arma 2.

I would strongly advise to run 1.16 as it's way better then 1.14 (at least on my machine)

Running 1.14 and ACES with x3 720 and ATi 4850, no problems. Installed an ATI 4870 1GB and same issue as OP. Will do as suggested in this thread but wanted to add that I too have a problem.

Update: put the -window in the command line and the game runs. E:\ARMA1\ArmA\arma.exe -window -nosplash -mod=@ACE

Did not update to 1.16 as other posts on this topic did not always fix the issue.

Edited by S7_Mega

Update: put the -window in the command line and the game runs. E:\ARMA1\ArmA\arma.exe -window -nosplash -mod=@ACE

Did not update to 1.16 as other posts on this topic did not always fix the issue.

it fixes the issue everytime...