Sign in to follow this  
datter

Ofp vs gr vs cs (article)

I don't want to spoil this for you, but, CS and ghost recon are lame, clostrophobic and, well they suck. I will read it, but I am very impartial.

Youve gotta be kidding me with that article. neither of the two games opposite OFP are even comparable to it.

yeah, this game is revolutionary compared to those other two. This game is literaly a real time strategy game from the first person perspective. Iv never seen anything like it, and its incredible how much of my time this game has claimed.

np guys, I appreciate the feedback. The comparison came from several discussions I had with some friends regarding which of the three they'd rather spend time playing.

I'm not saying one is better than the other all out, just the pluses and minuses of each in relation to each other vs what someone might be looking for in a game.

Again, thanks for taking the time to look it over. If you'd like to write a short (or long) article about OFP on the site, please do I'd love to have them. (Just register and then slick 'Write an Article'... it will get posted ot the main page like mine was)

thanks,

datter

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yeah, this game is revolutionary compared to those other two. This game is literaly a real time strategy game from the first person perspective. Iv never seen anything like it, and its incredible how much of my time this game has claimed. <span id='postcolor'>

Come write something about it! :)

Lol. He's just got the game... Dude we've read it all seen it all and done it all.

I'm just your regular know-it-all , like the chick says in her tune.

I don't want to disappoint you, but like You've probably gotten around to seeing, some of us here are real old-timers at this game...

Geez, people, he wrote the article summing up each game. I didn't notice anywhere where he tried to pit one against the other. Give the guy a break.

And yes I have played many of these. CS is probably the most user friendly and easy to learn, since 99% of all gamers have played Half Life.

Flashpoint is for the serious military buffs.

Yeah, maybe i'm harsh, but I just don't want the guy to expect to many hits showing on his website's hit counter just because he published an article. confused.gif

I will get around to reading it, but right now Wobble is taking up all my attention...

I've had OFP since it was released, played CS since beta 5 (though haven't played in a long time) and owned GR since release as well.

It's not the games that are new, it's a new version of my site hence the article. It sas strictly a message forum before but I'm using it slightly different now and thought I'd post the article as I had discussed that sort of thing with some friends recently and it was on my mind. I figured I'd share it here as I know you guys are (obviously) OFP fans. No harm intended.

Feedback, positive or negative is appreciated as always.

thanks folks,

datter

OFP is the best game i have ever played. period. it puts together everything i wanted into one game. i've played half life but not CS but HL was just another FPS for me. grab some guns go around shooting stuff. GR i uninstalled very fast. but we might be a bit biased

How dare you even ATTEMPT to compare OFP to that hacked peice of code people call CS. lets compare: in CS, you get:

-9 maps, none much larger than a footbal field in total size

-Unrealistic damage modeling, in which I can take several submachine gun round hits and still run around like Im a friggin Olympian

-A hacked up engine that practically invites people to make exploits, hacks, and cheats

-Snipers who can run and jump while in their scope, and have a rifle that can kill you if it hits your big toe

-And legions of illiterate, bigotted, semi retarded teenagers to "play" with, by which I mean accuse you of cheating and spamming the chat with obscene messages, and TKing on selected servers

-Did I mention you can jump?

Now, in OFP, you get:

-4 islands, the smallest being no smaller than 2 kilometers long, the largest pushing 12 kilometers long; not to mention the first (hopefully) of many completely custom maps from OFP Internals, also the completely redone original islands by various modders

-Dozens of vehicles, from Jets to sports cars, that you can use whenever you feel like it (and are crafty enoguh to steal, lol)

-A huge amount of weaponry, with custom weapons already all over the place

-stunning detail in all aspects of the environments... can anyone say Stonehenge? wink.gif

-realistic aiming systems, iron sights, and a good bit of recoil to discourage full auto... but that hasnt stopped me yet smile.gif

-No jumping- Hallelujah

-if you are running, you have no chance of hitting your target. Some may bitch about this, but the ones that do are generally the kind of people I can do without

-And a new island and Hi-Res textures coming in June

-Plus way more stuff that I cant even think of because you comparing OFP to CS pissed me off so bad lol

I have played this game almost for a year now: I NEVER STOPPED. Its just the best

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ April 25 2002,06:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Flashpoint is for the serious military buffs.<span id='postcolor'>

And not for hippies with long hair just like me? smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ale2999 @ April 25 2002,07:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have played this game almost for a year now: I NEVER STOPPED. Its just the best<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, it is!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (datter @ April 25 2002,05:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've had OFP since it was released, played CS since beta 5 (though haven't played in a long time) and owned GR since release as well.

It's not the games that are new, it's a new version of my site hence the article. It sas strictly a message forum before but I'm using it slightly different now and thought I'd post the article as I had discussed that sort of thing with some friends recently and it was on my mind. I figured I'd share it here as I know you guys are (obviously) OFP fans. No harm intended.

Feedback, positive or negative is appreciated as always.

thanks folks,

datter<span id='postcolor'>

Host recon SUCKS in my oppinion.

Cs wins with the 3D modelling community which i'm a part of.

And you saying no customazation?? you have derailed my friend.

I'm working with models and changing guns But no... You can't change cs code or something.

OPF is the winner with vehicles and helicopters I waited for a game like this for so long and finaly it came to me.. thank you OPF team thank you.

So list is like this:

1. OPF

2. CS

3. GR

get to live with it.

i played cs for about a year and a half part of clan etc and thought on a real good day we had some real good teamwork.

Then Operationflashpoint came along, imo it blows cs out the window, coop missions are absolutely fantastic, never in the time i played cs did i spend 5-8 hours in a game, with opflash this is a regular occurance. You are also not stuck to the same small map that gets so monotonous after a while, i have yet to find a reason why anyone would need to cheat in opflash, the verbal abuse on some if not most servers in cs is terrible, ive yet to see any abuse in a opflash server, when dead in cs it gets kinda boring, in opflash u have the great " seagull mode" and ability to continue speaking to those in game, cs is so depending on the score table, in opflash i very rarely check what scores people have, i am more concerned to see the end of a mission completed successfully, a huge amount of people put a lot of time into opflash, they know what there talking about with regards to weapons, tactics, strategy, cs players tend to not have a clue what they talk about ( in general).

I know these are two different games but the things i mentioned above are things i think can be compared between the two, i played opflash about a year now coming up and since i installed the game i have not played cs, well i tried once, and lasted 30 seconds before i decided that it is utter crap, and now i have given my half life and cs stuff to my son in a hope he gains experience playing games online, and experience of verbal abuse, cheating, being banned from servers cos your maybe a bit too good for some folks and when hes matured enough with his online play then i shall buy him opflash.

Now i have no interest in playing "against" another player, coop is so much better and unfortunetly i have yet to see

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ April 25 2002,11:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i played cs for about a year and a half   part of clan etc  and thought on a real good day we had some real good teamwork.

Then Operationflashpoint came along, imo it blows cs out the window, coop missions are absolutely fantastic, never in the time i played cs did i spend 5-8 hours in a game, with opflash this is a regular occurance.  You are also not stuck to the same small map that gets so monotonous after a while, i have yet to find a reason why anyone would need to cheat in opflash, the verbal abuse on some if not most servers in cs is terrible, ive yet to see any abuse in a opflash server, when dead in cs it gets kinda boring, in opflash u have the great " seagull mode" and ability to continue speaking to those in game, cs is so depending on the score table, in opflash  i very rarely check what scores people have, i am more concerned to see the end of a mission completed successfully, a huge amount of people put a lot of time into opflash, they know what there talking about with regards to weapons, tactics, strategy, cs players tend to not have a clue what they talk about ( in general).

I know these are two different games  but the things i mentioned above are things i think can be compared between the two, i played opflash about a year now  coming up and since i installed the game  i have not played cs, well i tried once, and lasted 30 seconds before i decided that it is utter crap, and now i have given my half life and cs stuff to my son in a hope he gains experience playing games online, and experience of verbal abuse, cheating, being banned from servers cos your maybe a bit too good for some folks and  when hes matured enough with his online play then i shall buy him opflash.

Now i have no interest in playing "against" another player, coop is so much better and unfortunetly i have yet to see<span id='postcolor'>

Put the brakes on here... How old are you?? You have a son? and you let him play online? what a lucky devil, myself i had to sneak myself online...

Keep up to be a good dad wink.gif

For me, I started with TFC, then moved on to Firearms mod when it came out, then to DoD when it came out in January 2001. Then by (i think) april when the OFP demo came out, I was hooked. I played the demo and the user made missions for it almost non stop for weeks, then when the game came out first in EU than here in north of america, I kinda let the demo go and floated back to FA and DOD for the summer. Then, one summer day (late july), I walked into my local computer store and they had the UK version of OFP on the shelf. I haven't looked back since then. Sure over the past months I've played a day or two of DOD v2, a weekend of SimCity 3000 and NHL 2001 now and then, but I've played OFP almost every day since I got it last july. And I did buy GR, played it for mabye 2 or 3 hours, and uninstalled it prompley afterward. CS, from what I hear, I ain't missing much.

-=Die Alive=-

I wouldn't be too critical of GR.

There is little dispute that Opflash is infinitely better, but GR does win when it comes to getting up close to the enemy:

1. The AI in Opflash isn't too good at dealing with targets that are near it (say less than 5m)... GR's are very good at this.

2. GR's death animations are really good, which makes those close up kills more rewarding, Opflashs are good but not great.

3. A dead enemy in GR looks really nastily cut up... opflash has a couple of zones on the body that can be in state bloody or state not bloody.

There. The 3 things that I feel GR does better than Opflash. I'd be all day if I was listing the things that Opflash does better than GR.

What's wrong with liking both? I come from the flight sim community and there many games are liked and flown by the people. Sure there are comparisions between the different games, but in the end everyone usually agrees that they like to fly both. Here the GR and OFP camps are so confrontational. It's all one or the other and the other 'suxs'. Why? I like both and play both. I'd argue the strengths and weakness of both no problem, but in the end I play both.

Where's the love? smile.gif

COLINMAN