Sign in to follow this  
Muahaha

Footprints and the crazy killer bus driver

2 things I noticed playing the civvy showcase mission in OA...

1. there are FOOTPRINTS! I don't think I noticed footprints in vanilla Arma2, but in OA definitely there are footprints,a real nice touch to the game...and it will only be seen in sandy area and not on concrete land. NICE!

2. Ah the awful AI driving a big vehicle is a real turnoff... the bus driver in the mission is either in rage because no one is getting on or he is takiban's newest weapon of self destruction.... rampaging everyone on the road and ramming into everything....

there are FOOTPRINTS!

and tank tracks, finally. :D

Haven't seen any of that since ArmA1 or OFP, not sure which.

1. Welcome to 2001 :)

2. Welcome to 2001 :(

qft :d

Well, thankfully I found the :) is more than the :(, which is still satisfying my gaming needs... Of course the best is to get everything working perfectly, but there is no such games yet.

Armed Assault 1 had tracks & footprints, in Arma 2 upto 1.05 (including) there were no tank tracks - poof, gone. Havent' checked Arma 2 1.07, but as you said OA has them.

Just a quick question, How long to the footprints/track trails last??

Just a quick question, How long to the footprints/track trails last??

around 1 meter long, fade away in 10 sec est.

Ahh well, There goes my, "Track the Takie's" mission idea then :(

Having been on holiday in the middle east a while back, I find the Takistani drivers to be quite realistic in their slack driving style. :P

Can't vouch for the CZ or US drivers though. *whispers* but I hear they are quite slack as well. :P

It is a shame the footprints and tracks don't last, a lot of tracking target missions could have come out of.

Hey, never know someone might be able to mod the track to stay longer and further...

Footprints? Cool. But how bout we get some bullet shell casings hitting the turf eh?

Having been on holiday in the middle east a while back, I find the Takistani drivers to be quite realistic in their slack driving style. :P

Can't vouch for the CZ or US drivers though. *whispers* but I hear they are quite slack as well. :P

It is a shame the footprints and tracks don't last, a lot of tracking target missions could have come out of.

What you on about the foot tracks are quite long enough!!

Track1.jpg

"This is CROSSROAD to Delta, has target been found over"

"This is Delta, im tracking target now over"

:D

The thing is, I know one of the real issues making the AI drive so bad, but I have no modding abilities so can not change it for myself. Maybe a modder can take not of my idea?

Basically, the steering seems to be the issue. As a human, when you steer full lock left, the wheel takes aaaaages to return to the centre. This makes all cars feel like boats, you have to turn in advance, and they feel totally wrong.

If a modder could completely remove steering delay, the cars would be much, much more realistic. AKA:

You tap the keyboard left, and the car goes full lock left, with no delay. You tap the keyboard right, the car goes full lock right, with no delay. And it should also centre without delay.

This is THE most realistic solution, because nobody is going to be using a steering wheel whilst playing Arma 2...

This would make the steering like any keyboard racing game. Much better!

When watching the AI drive, I am seeing this weird centering delay cause them to crash alot. The AI already knows to turn left, but the steering is causing him to go where he does not want to go.

If a modder could try and change this, that would be awesome. I am 99% sure this would hugely help!

The steering can be made better by changing the mouse from "steer more left/right" to "steer left/right" like it was in Flashpoint and Arma1.

The steering can be made better by changing the mouse from "steer more left/right" to "steer left/right" like it was in Flashpoint and Arma1.

I don't drive with the mouse though, and neither do AI. :p

I do (in combination with keys actually), and without that option the game would be unplayable for me.

There are only 2 mods that I know dealt with AI's driving,

1 which is sakura's AI fix and the other is SLX steering mod...which I think only Solus mod still workable in OA. I have yet to try it out, might want to check it out later.

If its that easy then why don't BI fix it?I agree that steering with mouse is terrible in that the return to center takes forever.Now if all BI have to do is to make the AI use the other key turn function to fix?????Thats a bit crazy if its true.

got any nice repro mission ?

got any nice repro mission ?

Hey Thanks Dwarden for looking into this... If you play the civilian showcase mission in the SP of OA, you will notice the bus driver's driving skill near the marketplace.