Sign in to follow this  
l mandrake

Nearing perfection but needs enemy SHOUTS

I am loving OA - as a tactical infantry sim it is getting close to perfection (CQB still needs polish though :D ).

What's really missing is the sounds of insurgents SHOUTING to each other during a contact and GROANING when injured. This would really add to the sense of chaos and confusion so much.

The silence at the moment is just too sterile for me. Back in Delta Force, terrorists used to shout out to raise the alarm - I know ARMA2 is on a vastly bigger scale but I think BIS should really investigate this issue if at all possible.

If you listen closely, you can hear the enemy issuing orders to eachother. IMO, that's a fair compromise, additional shouting/vocalization can be modded in or added to the mission itself.

I hear them yelling occasionally and yelling after getting shot.

You just need to have skills like mine to get real real close.

As long as it doesn't turn out like Splinter Cell: "I THINK I'M GOING TO BAKE A CAKE LATER TONIGHT. MAYBE IT'LL HAVE STRAWBERRY ICING. YOU HEAR THAT FISCHER?!"

Verbal orders are still incomplete though compared to what is actually said over the radio.

I always assumed that was done for performance reasons, though not sure why i think that.

Anyway, its too quiet, its more mumbling then shouting. :p

As long as it doesn't turn out like Splinter Cell: "I THINK I'M GOING TO BAKE A CAKE LATER TONIGHT. MAYBE IT'LL HAVE STRAWBERRY ICING. YOU HEAR THAT FISCHER?!"

That's too complicated. I prefer it if all enemies just shouted "HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT!" while shooting at you.

I dont think its anywhere near perfection, but yes shouting would be nice. Compare with Bad Company 2. It may be an action-arcade game when it comes to gameplay, but if there's something it does right its audio. Its just amazing hearing people shout all around you, instead of the incredibly stiff coms system that's been with us since OFP.

Some nice yells like in Dragon Rising, and maybe some soldiers crying when semi close by would be nice indeed, and some better wounded grunts, not the ones that sound like you just climaxed. :p

Indeed infantry combat is pretty much all I do in Arma 2 and OA.

So fun! :D

That's too complicated. I prefer it if all enemies just shouted "HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT! HALT!" while shooting at you.

I dont think its anywhere near perfection, but yes shouting would be nice. Compare with Bad Company 2. It may be an action-arcade game when it comes to gameplay, but if there's something it does right its audio. Its just amazing hearing people shout all around you, instead of the incredibly stiff coms system that's been with us since OFP.

I gotta agree, Bad Company 2 managed to capture at least the chaos of a firefight accurately in the voice cues of players and also managed to transfer information to the players at the same time. For example in Arma 2 you hear, "Fuck! 2. IS DOWN." whereas a better system would just be the observing AI to yell like in BC2, "Oh shit we've got a man down!", a single recorded line, and then we get the visual cue of 2's image either going red or disappearing to indicate injury or death. Though while I think this would be an improvement, I still don't mind the original voices at all and they do an excellent job conveying information.

I'd like some yelling/screaming/swearing, would definitely increase immersion. Only where appropriate though, wouldn't want it to sound like a gang battle :D

For example in Arma 2 you hear, "Fuck! 2. IS DOWN." whereas a better system would just be the observing AI to yell like in BC2, "Oh shit we've got a man down!", a single recorded line, and then we get the visual cue of 2's image either going red or disappearing to indicate injury or death.

Yeah, that would be nicer.

While the A2 coms system is very flexible and vast, I dont think its really needed. I mean, a stuttering sentences like "All. Move to. That Tree. At. 12 o'clock" could be condensed to a single fluid sentence such as "Move to that tree!" and the rest of the info relayed via GUI: mark in 3D view (if regular difficulty) and map (if regular or higher), indicate via the squad bar who the leader is giving the order to by flashing them or something.

Keeping some flexibility, it could be limited to just one break. Such as saying "All, move to that tree!" when the entire squad is selected. This should still sound fairly good as it is a logical break.

I gotta agree, Bad Company 2 managed to capture at least the chaos of a firefight accurately in the voice cues of players and also managed to transfer information to the players at the same time. For example in Arma 2 you hear, "Fuck! 2. IS DOWN." whereas a better system would just be the observing AI to yell like in BC2, "Oh shit we've got a man down!", a single recorded line, and then we get the visual cue of 2's image either going red or disappearing to indicate injury or death.

Totally agree. If they had fewer, but more convincing audio clips with the rest of the information via GUI it would be a big improvement. A bit like DSAI but more context sensitive I suppose.