Sign in to follow this  
arthur666

Can we make the new recoil model optional?

Lot of discussion in the beta forums about this, but...

For the next patch, if it has the new weapon recoil model, can we have it as an option in the game settings or cfg? Maybe as a difficulty setting option?

Why should it be optional?

ArmA tries to simulate the difficulties of combat, thats why you already have shaking when under fire or running and other effects. The new recoil is introduced to further enhance this and put an end to the ridiculous ironsight, CCO long range snipingc and high precise rifle auto fire over 300m.

In Multiplayer the option would be overidden anyway serverside, so better get used to it now.

For SP you can anytime tone down A.I. precision to counter this, but just beeing more cautious will do also.

No, because then you'd have people with the new recoil complaining about people using the old recoil.

Can't ever please everybody. I'm sure you'll get used to the new recoil after a few hours of using it.

Fellas,it really should be an option.If you want it then join a server that has it on or SP a game with it and vice versa for peeps that do not want or like it.

Having 2 different types of recoil? That doesn't really work. it might work in SP cause then you can choose what you want to play the whole time. But switching between two servers with different recoils would be very very weird.

Remember when they patched the recoil in ArmA? People got used to that.

Playing mostly MP PvP I would rather not see it as an option. If it becomes an option I'm sure most servers would have it set to on, which would be fine. But if some use it and some don't (MP) then that would be an issue.

But I also see the point of view of those playing SP, where it wouldn't be a big deal to not have the new recoil.

Why don't you make a poll and find out? I would bet a big majority would prefer it on.

Here we go again :D If it's not made an option, I suppose we could hope a modder will do it. I have already inquired in the modding forum, and it seems beyond my (meager) abilities.

I really tried to get used to it, but I don't like it. I should add, I am an avid shooter in real life, and don't think the new recoil is any more realistic than the old one. At least the old one was less irritating.

I really tried to get used to it, but I don't like it. I should add, I am an avid shooter in real life, and don't think the new recoil is any more realistic than the old one. At least the old one was less irritating.

I shoot several times a week myself, and I also find the new recoil somewhat 'different'... but I just go with the flow and will get used to it.

It's already hard to find any server at all since the game is already splitting into shatters of ArmA, OA+ArmA, OA+ArmA+ACE and other mods and closed clans...no need to introduce just another wedge into the game.

Aceptable Game Server count for me dropped allready dowen from 5 to 2.

I am a real shooter as well. I have my own AR-15, along with about 15 other guns that I take to the range often. I am also an avid hunter. I don't ever compare shooting mechanics of a game to real life cause it will never be anything like it.

A modder could definitely change the recoil, but then you better hope any servers your playing on has that same mod.

AS I said in my previous post, when BIS altered the recoil in past games, people never really complained about it and got used to it.

I shoot several times a week myself, and I also find the new recoil somewhat 'different'... but I just go with the flow and will get used to it.
If you recreate virtual range conditon with the new model you will have the same outcome and good control...the difference with the new recoils mainly kicks in in actual virtual combat situations.

The difference is that now you have to cntrol the gun with the mouse yourself...before it was like a "assited aim mode" comfortable, yes, but it made strange things possible as I pointet out before.

If you recreate virtual range conditon with the new model you will have the same outcome and good control...the difference with the new recoils mainly kicks in in actual virtual combat situations.

The difference is that now you have to cntrol the gun with the mouse yourself...before it was like a "assited aim mode" comfortable, yes, but it made strange things possible as I pointet out before.

I agree. I like the changes (didn't mean to sound like I don't like). I'm getting used to them just as everyone else is.

Well, I don't really play MP much, so I don't want to crash yall's party... maybe a mod I could use would be the best option.

I'd also prefer if it wasn't an option. Just doesn't seem right to have the two really, plus it would disturb the balance in mp (to win people would turn it off so it was easier).

I love the new recoil personally, I was so sick of just lazily clicking away until the enemy died, now you're actually a part of world a bit more.

1. No

2. It's better

3. Go away

4. See 1-3

Well, your a great image for our community. It's good for BIS to have an expanded community base. So it's best to not tell any "noob" to "go away" if they don't like something about the game. Everyone has an opinion. I'm pretty sure the majority of us here are adults, so respect and respond to it in an adult manner, please.

Thanks, have a good day/night.

Edited by Nicholas

It's "you're." I learned it in 3rd grade I think. It's easy to remember as the contraction of "you" and "are."

I'm not saying he's a noob. The new recoil could be easier than the old and still the problem is his sense of entitlement to his unwillingness to change and adapt pressed upon the devs to cater to. Never mind all the consequences that a division on this aspect of the game would bring, suit his whim, SUIT IT NOW!

It's a knee-jerk reaction to any change. There's no rational argument behind his request such as "because x, y, and z." It's "because I want it." Evolution of ArmA can't branch at all changes, it wouldn't be evolution in that case. The old system was bad. You put the cursor on a target at 200m, put your left palm over your eyes, and click with your right at 3 second intervals... you hit 10/10. It was baaaaaad. I react like someone suggested, "Remember Polio? That was cool, let's bring that back."

A community that doesn't tolerate nonsense is one I want to be a part of. Coddling of irritants is a crime. You encourage good actions and discourage bad ones. If every forum member gave the new guy that posted some awful thread with a generic title like "One thing..." (and that is not far from the average title quality) then the forums would improve in quality because expectations were raised.

Don't confuse being nice with doing good. When you're riding with a friend in a car and he drives through a stop sign without stopping, "being nice" is actually doing harm and "being a jerk" and saying "Wtf man, you can't do that ya phule!" while being contentious is actually doing good. Do you understand?

(Everything you typed here)

Great post, really, that type of a post earns you respect (Except for the spelling part). But your first post was really worthless and rude. I know my spelling but you know what? Shit happens. Not everyone is perfect like you are, I made a single spelling mistake in that post and you'd rather be an ass and pick it out and explain what I already know. I at least said please and thanks in my post to you. I wasn't being an ass about it. It's not like spelling matters anyway, it's that you understand what I'm saying. Have you ever read this?

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt!

I never said you called him a "noob". His thread wasn't nonsense, you may think it was a bad post and that's your opinion, but not everyone has an opinion like yours. It was a legitimate suggestion to make the new recoil optional. Both you and I disagree with him, but your first post in his thread could have been a little more, besides saying "It's Better". That's your opinion, but you could have explained why you thought it was better.

Edited by Nicholas

I thought this game was about realism and the feeling of war.

Wouldn't having a option to just magicly change recoil going to kill the game.

I thought this game was about realism and the feeling of war.

Wouldn't having a option to just magicly change recoil going to kill the game.

Yes, indeed!

Stuff

I didn't really try to come off too abrasive in my first post. It was supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek but of course that sort of tone requires dedicated effort to convey which I didn't give. I shouldn't have been so brash and my response was as if to allllll the people that have made similar squeaks and were responded to in full detail (to little avail.) I do apologize.

Well, I don't really play MP much, so I don't want to crash yall's party... maybe a mod I could use would be the best option.

This.

And I thought my first post was a polite question/request, not a demand. I certainly don't want to "ruin" the game for anyone. I hadn't thought about the MP factor much, since I mostly set up my own scenarios for SP and sometimes Co-Op with a few friends. You can call tell me to go away all you want, but I have purchased new every BIS program released for PC since OFP and have as much a right to an opinion as anyone here.

For the record, I agree the old model is not great, and think the best option would be a recoil model that brings the aimpoint back to a random point around the original shot, not just up. But since a whole other recoil model seems unreasonable, I thought a request for the old to be made available would be my best hope.

If I rember right the most of us "we want it hardcore nerds" did not say "go away" but rather "get used to it"...thats a difference in it.

I use the new sytem in MP right now. and of course it is a disadvantage at range...but im sure to be in a advantage at the time it's going to be in the official patch as I'm already use to it.

"I thought this game was about realism and the feeling of war."

How is this possible on a screen?

how can you possibly simulate muscle tension/reactions with a mouse and keyboard?

Since when did an M4/M16 and many other weapons climb?

Why is it that some people believe that better game play is to restrict the player as much as possible?

I'll go for making it an option as realism gimmicks are going to put OA under the delete key.

The new recoil model is very easy to control, it should NOT be optional. That's like saying, can only being able to hold 1 launcher optional... I find it too hard to kill anything with only one launcher so I'd like the option to carry 3 to make the game easier...