Sign in to follow this  
NuBZiLLa

Question about snipers

I recently learned about this game and downloaded the demo on steam to see if I would like the game before I bought it. I love to snipe and messed around with the sniper in the editor in the demo. I placed a guy about 1300 meters away from me and tried to shoot him. I could not hit him at all and I know for a fact that my shots should have hit him. I tried shooting the same guy from 700 meters away and I hit him no problem. So I was wondering, do bullets have range limits in the demo?

Not sure about the demo but bullets do indeed disappear after a while. For M107 it's something like 2.5 km, and I've been able to get a kill at 1.3 km with the M40A1 (max range is around 2 km).

THe bullets have range limits in real life.

If Im not mistaken, the most powerfull sniper rifle in the demo is the M40 which have an effective range of 800m.

BUT...

when you shoot someone far away, the bullet "disappears" due to LOD issues(which have been incresead in previous patches), but dunno if it really disappears aswell.

Someone more into sniping may answer.

Hi NuBZiLLa

Are you aware that ArmA simulates balistics eg Bullet drop?

According to ArmA II ranging tables

http://wolverine.cameron.edu/~ac113448/ARMA2/ARMA2WeaponRangingAndCorrectionGuide.pdf

Which you can read and discuss more in this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=80754&highlight=range+tables

The M40 like the M24 is zeroed in ArmA II at 250m

At 800m the correction is -7 mils!

So for 1300m you maybe need to aim a lot higher.

Vanilla current ArmA II does not allow you to zero your weapon but the more or less standard in the community ACE II mod does. :)

Also next week Operation Arrowhead is released and there is some hopes that it will make weapon zeroing standard for sniper weapons in ArmA II vanilla.

I suggest you buy the combined Operations package released next week or buy both standard ArmAII and Operation Arrowhead.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=100089

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Also next week Operation Arrowhead is released and there is some hopes that it will make weapon zeroing standard for sniper weapons in ArmA II vanilla.

Wow, that would be great! Did I understand correctly: It will (maybe) be possible to use the new features of AO in Arma II "vanilla" (even in the campaign)?

Like:

Zeroing Weapons

FLIR

etc.

Shooting a standing man at 1300 is HARD. My longest kill is 1200m and that took several magazines. I used a TAC-50 SD then(using ACE 2). At that kind of distance windage plays everything. And often you can't see where the bullet hit to compensate or fix your aiming for the next shot. Unless another player takes the role of the spotter with the spotting scope(using ACE 2 mod)

Forget about 1300m range kill, a 700m range kill if it was done with a single shot is cool enough lol. :D

I'm just saying it's doable but if you wanted to hit it with only a single or double shot it would be very very hard. Engaging lateral moving target at that distance to me seems almost impossible too.

Hi NuBZiLLa

Are you aware that ArmA simulates balistics eg Bullet drop?

Yes I was fully aware of that going into the demo, the only thing I wasn't sure about was if the game simulates wind, which according to Michael Withstand it does. And the reason I was missing is because the person was out of range of the gun.

Thanks for all the information everybody.

Edited by NuBZiLLa

Yes I was fully aware of that going into the demo, the only thing I wasn't sure about was if the game simulates wind, which according to Michael Withstand it does. And the reason I was missing is because the person was out of range of the gun.

Vanilla Arma 2 doesn't take wind into account in ballistics.

I don't know if this is true or not, but there does seem to be a bit of "randomness" in where your bullets go. using scope weapons and lining up a shot exactly the same I have notice the bullet will sometimes hit short and sometimes long on a stationary target.

I've sniped a human player multiple times (kept respawning) at a range of 1.8km on Duala using the KSVK.

Took 4 kills before he got the point.

well, a 12.7mm bullet have a better range than the 7.62mm used in the m24\40 ;)

that being said, i'll also sugest you'd preorder the combined operations, so you'll get both arma2 and opperation arrowhead.

ohh, and :greetings: , and be aware, we're a big bunch of fanboys, close to fanatics actualy, when it comes to this series from Bis, just so you're warned :pet11:

I don't know if this is true or not, but there does seem to be a bit of "randomness" in where your bullets go. using scope weapons and lining up a shot exactly the same I have notice the bullet will sometimes hit short and sometimes long on a stationary target.

Hmm

Were you prone taking the shots?

Firing a big ass sniper rifle while stood or knelt, will result in a wider grouping.

My grouping is fine out to the recommended range of each particular weapon in vanilla ArmA, it gets a little more complex when using the ACE II mod.

If you are not getting good grouping while taking prone shots at the recommended range of a particular weapon, it may indicate another kind of problem...

Perhaps you should ask Placebo; as he has some expertise in such matters. A full description of your problem will help him diagnose your problem. :)

Kind Regards walker

Hmm

Firing a big ass sniper rifle while stood or knelt, will result in a wider grouping.

My grouping is fine out to the recommended range of each particular weapon in vanilla ArmA, it gets a little more complex when using the ACE II mod.

If you are not getting good grouping while taking prone shots at the recommended range of a particular weapon, it may indicate another kind of problem...

Perhaps you should ask Placebo; as he has some expertise in such matters. A full description of your problem will help him diagnose your problem. :)

Kind Regards walker

There is a dispersion value in the config defined for all weapons. In practise though you are talking about a difference of (at most) a couple of CM at a distance of 300m. Except for handguns, for which you need to be pretty close if you want to hit anything.

Hmm

Kind Regards walker

No, not dealing with FADE here. I'm mostly talking about scoped assault rifles at 250-300 m or more. As another mentioned, there is definitely a small dispersion factor. I've tried it in the editor, prone, and lined up a shot perfectly within the scope and had slight variations on where the bullet goes.

The wind I was referring to was played with ACE 2 mod. ;)

Wind is simulated in vanilla game. Smoke is affected by wind. Trees sway in the wind. Grass bend in the wind. But no rain affected by wind, and no ballistics affected by wind.

Rain we can't have (yet, hope it comes soon enough), but ballistics affected by wind can be experienced if you use ACE.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

I've shot people at about 4km with M107 in patch 1.05.. This was done with ACE built in sight adjustments of course, or I'll be aiming at the sky. Took a few tries as well. Suffice to say there is never any need to do so, but it is possible.

You should also be aware of the fact that lag is a bitch too sniper in multiplaer. I'd say around 1200m is the max effective range of any weapon in MP (Not including artiallry and tanks of course)

tested the m107 in takistan, from a hill. target range was 1723m, scope adjustment to max, zoomed in and aiming with the bottom baseline.

http://www.mil-dot.com/Mil_Dot_User_Guide.htm

1 magazine and 2 hits were needed for a kill in vanilla arma2: oa (wasn't lucky enough to score a headshot) you have to set your visibility-range to 3600m at last to even see the target.

i hope sometime in the future BIS will let us benefit from being able to actually use the bipods (ACE2 does it).