v4friend

Update FaceTrackNoIR

Is there a way to control what resolution the program uses?

and does anyone have an answer to my question:

it seems that facetracknoir 1.4 minimized is using 30-40% of my CPU (dual core, 2.13 GHz each) - is this normal? What can I do to reduce it? (already tried disabling the EWMA filtering to no avail)

Is there a way to control what resolution the program uses?

and does anyone have an answer to my question:

i dont think the app can control the webcam unless there is some way of controlling it with an .ini file maybe.

using that much CPU power isnt too surprising on a Core 2 duo.... is that on a laptop? You also need to be sure to disable autofocus and auto exposure on your webcam contrls. finally, if your face isnt lit well that will make your webcam use a lot of extra CPU to process the image.

well ive bought 2 PS Eye cams and both are defective! they keep randomly putting static on the screen and then will go and completely scramble the entire image every few minutes. yippie! more chinese junk that doenst work.

for the few seconds that i get it to work in A-10 it does seem more stable than my Logitech Orbit.

The only thing I can figure out is that the Face track API has a serious flaw in it... you can see it when the mask it draws over your face is constantly moving and jittering around. I have a 50 watt spot light on my face (from about 10 feet away) so I am very well lit.... bummer.

anyone else having issues with the PS Eye like this?

UPDATE: I reinstalled the driver (after testing on a PS3, it was fine), went into device manager and removed the generic webcam profile under sound, video and game devices and now it works fine. I do find the PS Eye is indeed better than my Logitech Orbit as far as stability. Im running it at 640 x 480 (60FPS). there is no difference in CPU usage but a noticeable difference in stability of the head tracking. there is alas still some wobbling about especially when looking left/right.

Jeff

Edited by dethjeff

I'm on a desktop, but it's getting a bit old I know :) Tried disabling auto lighting and auto white balance (the only options my camera software gives me) and got a slight boost (20-30% usage now) but still not enough to run smoothly with arma 2 I'm afraid

I guess it's time to look into a new CPU :/

Ya ARMA2 is really demanding... I have a AMD phenom and it still runs choppy a lot. If you invest in a high-end I7 with triple channel RAM and a newer Nvidia card ARMA will run like Butta`

Well for some reason the 2nd PS Eye is doing the same deal as before.... random vertical lines then after several minutes it goes full static. Must be something with my PC.

Hopefully FaceTrack's API will be improved and become more stable.

Im seriously looking at a buying a trackIR now... Looks like Ill have to become a Borg after all...sigh...

Jeff

Hi boys, sorry for my "terrible" english ;)

i have a problem! I bought a ps3 eyecam and i haven't problem to use it with facetracknoir at 30hz fps. So, i want that facetracknoir use the eyecam at a lower resolution (320x240) but with a framerate 60hz or 120hz (PS3 eyecam can this!).

How i can to do this???

Help me please!

If FaceTrackNoIR lets you bring up the camera properties panel, you can probably set resolution and refresh rate there.

If not, do the following:

Open up the 'CL-Eye Test' application (I assume youre already using the CodeLabs driver for you cam. I not, get it here.)

On the top menu, choose camera->video capture pin (not sure if it's really called 'camera'... it could be 'options' or something else)

Set the resolution and refresh rate.

Close the app.

Those setting should remain when you open up another application, as long as that application doesn't override them with it's own settings. (But in that case the application should provide it's own settings panel)

Hope this helps

Cheers

I finally leaped into 2005 and got a webcam. :) MS VX 5000 or somesuch. Seems to work good. It actually has some little distortions you can do that track your face VERY well. So, I immediately thought of this thread.

Seemed to install ok, and when I run it and 'start' it, it seems to track my face effectively.

I fired up CO, and it crashed at startup with the beta, and CO ran once with it running, but didn't seem to have an impact, then upon trying again, it crashed at startup again.

Written to the rpt:

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0B672F9D

Version 1.57.76815

Fault address: 0B672F9D 01:00001F9D C:\Program Files\Abbequerque Inc\FaceTrackNoIR\FreeTrackClient.dll

file:

world: utes

Prev. code bytes: 30 67 0B 20 30 67 0B 2D 30 67 0B 38 30 67 0B 52

Fault code bytes: DF 28 8D 44 01 F8 8D 4C 0A F8 DF 28 51 F7 D9 83

Registers:

EAX:000001C5 EBX:078FD840

ECX:00000064 EDX:0B7D0060

ESI:01FF6908 EDI:00000001

CS:EIP:001B:0B672F9D

SS:ESP:0023:0182E88C EBP:0182E898

DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000

Flags:00010297

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0B312F9D

Version 1.56.76134

Fault address: 0B312F9D 01:00001F9D C:\Program Files\Abbequerque Inc\FaceTrackNoIR\FreeTrackClient.dll

file:

world: Desert_E

Prev. code bytes: 30 31 0B 20 30 31 0B 2D 30 31 0B 38 30 31 0B 52

Fault code bytes: DF 28 8D 44 01 F8 8D 4C 0A F8 DF 28 51 F7 D9 83

Registers:

EAX:000001C5 EBX:0639CFD0

ECX:00000064 EDX:0B470060

ESI:07CF6AE8 EDI:00000001

CS:EIP:001B:0B312F9D

SS:ESP:0023:0182E894 EBP:0182E8A0

DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000

Flags:00010297

Will continue to try, as this is fascinating technology. (And the price is right.) ;)

Oh, and the one time it did work, I was able to bring up controllers and it listed both TrackIR and FaceTrack. Is that correct?

I finally leaped into 2005 and got a webcam.

Damn am I that far behind? :eek:

I've been wanting to do this for so long that I decided to go buy a web cam also today, just not sure what kind yet. I'll figure it out though.

I need to finish reading this thread before I start asking questions...

haha

Whew - I thought I was the only one! :)

Word of advice - research which ones give you the most robust features to change. I went for highest resolution v. cost, but the resolution I think at this point is less important than the ability to tweak. The MS thing I got is limited, as far as I can tell.

Edit:

Just updated to 1.57, and same result. Crash while A2/CO is loading. Just want to make sure I have this right - I start FTNIR, hit the start tracking thing, then start CO? Also, I run windowed, if that makes a difference.

Edited by TRexian

haha

Whew - I thought I was the only one! :)

Word of advice - research which ones give you the most robust features to change. I went for highest resolution v. cost, but the resolution I think at this point is less important than the ability to tweak. The MS thing I got is limited, as far as I can tell.

Edit:

Just updated to 1.57, and same result. Crash while A2/CO is loading. Just want to make sure I have this right - I start FTNIR, hit the start tracking thing, then start CO? Also, I run windowed, if that makes a difference.

I actually just plugged in my xbox360 camera just to mess with it and it definitely shows potential... I have some tweaking to do. Makes me wonder if I should go back to my 22" monitor instead of using my 50" TV. Seems to be a lot of head moving... or am I just that f@$%ing lazy?

It crashed on me at first until I minimized FTNIR first and then started CO. I also tried in window mode and still works.

Edit - it seems I no longer have to minimize before starting CO... still tweaking, my neck hurts... :rolleyes:

Edit again - The more I mess with it the more I like it. But my horrible posture, odd sitting position, and proximity to TV all need to worked out.

And again - I disabled lean and I like it a lot better. This xbox360 camera isn't so bad, but still haven't finished reading whole thread to see what camera others use and how they like them. Thanks for the advice also TRexian, I know nothing about cameras...

Edited by Mosh

got my PS3 eye cam delivered a few days ago and it works perfectly.

Thanks for this awesome software!

Hey Mosh-

This will sound super-simplified, but what exact steps did you use to get yours to work?

Like, the only way I can get CO to start is if FTNIR is up, but I don't hit 'start' in the 'tracker source' area.

Edit:

w00t - disabled the EWMWhatever checkbox and got it working in-game. :) Still rather not-smooth, but I can work on that. :)

Edited by TRexian

All I can say is wow!

Congrats and thanks for this! Very easy to get going indeed, I really can't believe how great this is.

Running on a 64bit Win 7 with a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000. This is what worked for me:

1. Installed the software, set the properties of the icon to run as Administrator (do not run yet).

2. Launched Arma 2 and went to Options>Controls>Controller and enabled FreeTrack.

3. Alt-Tab to desktop and launched the FaceTrackNoIR app and selected File>Open>Arma.ini

4. Tracker source is Face API and Game Protocol Freetrack.

5. Started the Tracker source (click on start on the GUI) and confirmed that it could pick up and follow my face. Minimised the app.

6. Alt-Tab back to Arma and launched single player, editor, placed a unit on a map and voila! It all works.

I found that launching FaceTrackNoIR before launching Arma 2 crashed Arma. Its important to launch Arma 2 first.

I also found that simply by adjusting the position of the webcam helped calibrate my head position.

I'm blown away by the difference this makes and with little or zero cost! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Tup

I need help here is a screenshot it says failed to register camera catagory

???? http://i45.tinypic.com/178pvl.png[/iG]

The very same error here

---------------------------

faceAPI Error

Failed to register camera category: Unspecified error

OK

Camera: Creative LIVE! CAM Sync VF0520

Edit:

I followed the discussion between theexpandable and V4Friend here http://www.freefalcon.com/forum/showthread.php?17850-FaceTrackNoIR-head-tracker-without-LED-s/page15& with no luck. I have already uninstalled everything except my camera driver, no skype-like app is running, security software disabled...

Edited by Bucic

Still rather not-smooth, but I can work on that. :)

Yeah I can't find the sweet spot myself... but I'm still using the xbox camera so I'm just getting the feel for it before I decide whether or not to buy a better camera.

Different Game, just more proof of concept I suppose

*Mild Language*

- Game is Battleground Europe

Hello Guys and Girls! (I guess that covers everyone :D ),

I've missed some of the recent posts in the thread: somehow I don't receive notifications any more :confused: . I would like to wish you all the best for 2011!

I'm glad most of you like the program and especially the pricing of it. I would like to ask you all to consider donating, because it's really time consuming to make, improve and support a project like this.

@TRexian and Mosh: the EWMA-whatever is meant to reduce the jitter. It was implemented especially for ArmA users... It should not influence program stability.

@Bucic: have you tried the faceAPI demo? Can you run that, or do you get the same error?

hello, this looks great but i need to buy a webcam ( in the UK )

can anyone recommend one that works in low light conditions , not completely dark , but lamps on at night which is how i prefer gaming.

thank you

Hello dnh473,

I would recommend the PS3Eye: it was designed for gaming and I think it also works fine in darker conditions. I have a lamp above&behind my monitor. It does not shine directly in my face, which I think is just right...

thank you , have bought one, seems ok, can only get 30fps though, do you know how i can mod that, i have seen mention of a .ini change to make it upto 120fps, but cant see where

have cl drivers ,facetrack and update 4

thanks again

Hi dnh473: Someone I know pretty well described the procedure here.

Update 4 will then go to about 50 fps. In the next update, the speed will go up another notch...

PS3Eye here - followed the guide by Tupolov here.

All seems to work except ingame. FreeTrack is activated, TrackIR not.

Ingame there is no reaction whatsoever to my head/face movement.

FaceTrackNoIR.exe uses ~120MB RAM and 15% CPU.

It can detect my face just fine in the app itself.

0001.jpg

Any ideas? Does it rely on specific key controls set accordingly?

Thanks for the help!

Any ideas? Does it rely on specific key controls set accordingly?

Thanks for the help!

Hello PvPscene,

It looks like you've done everything right. I think it must be a problem in ArmA, or in the control-settings of ArmA. :cylon:

In the Controls-section you find the button Controllers. There you must enable FreeTrack (but you already did that, right? Can't hurt the toggle the bit down/up once, to be sure...) then in the Controls section itself, you must define FreeTrack for 'Look left (analog)' etc.