v4friend

Update FaceTrackNoIR

Hey guys,

when I try to use FaceTrackNoIr (v. 1.5) in ARMA2 it doesn't work at all. I started FaceTrack and activated the arma profile and the freetrack game protocol. I clicked on "start" and in the little screen on the bottom on the left I could see my face with these yellow mask around, seemed as everything works fine! After that I started ARMA2 and in it's options you could see that Track IR was recognized on the right places. But then, when I started a game it doesn't work. It's not as it works badly or hardly. No it doesn't work at all. I can shake my head anyway, it don't matter! Maybe there's a trick or shortcut or something like that to activate Facetrack ingame?

When I try out Face Track in FSX it's the same. Maybe you can help me?

I use xp. I tryed out in ARMA2 and ARMA2 OA. Both with same problems.

At least, sorry for my bad english!

OK I've already found the solution; I've just forgot to activate Track IR as a controller in the Options.

It's always nice if people can figure it out without help... Way to go!

Please help me.

I have the same problem like Yakus0. I don´t know how it works.

2. Problem i don´t speak good english.

I have install FaceTrackNoIR (1.5). The profile is ArmA.ini. Tracker Source is Face API.

Game protocol is Freetrack. If I start FaceTrack i see my face with the yellow mask.

I have activate Track IR in the contoller options in game.

What is wrong.

I have activate Track IR in the contoller options in game.

FreeTrack is the controller you should have to activate in ARMA2. Are you sure the controller is TrackIR not Freetrack?

OK i bought ps3eye,installed it yesterday and........OMG its working, smooth no problem!!!!!

Thanks for this thread, i am owner of trackir4 with trackclip but now i dont need it anymore!!!!

thanks again.

P.S. ps3eye works on 50hz and eats 9% of my cpu (3.8GHz i7 930)

Quick guide fo those who want to try it:

1.buy ps3eye camera(can do 60hz at 640*480) its very cheap

2.install ps3eye drivers: CL-Eye-Driver-4.0.2.1017 and then plug camera in usb

3.install FaceTrackingAPI_NC-V3.2.6(you need to register at their website to be able to download)

4.install FaceTrackNoIR_Release_V130 and then v150 update (you have to overwrite update v150 into installed v130 directory, it has no installer!!!)

5.create cleye.config file and put it in facetracknoir directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Abbequerque Inc\FaceTrackNoIR) ( this will enable 50hz on ps3eye camera)

6.execute facetracknoir and in game protocol choose faketrackir (for rise of flight, cliifs of dover, BS) and in tracker source press start(now the camera will detect your face)

7.run the game you wish to play

Edited by jctrnacty

Thanks for the guide jctrnacty.

Ive been wanting to try this since track ir came out but never bit the bullet and tried it. So being new at this is there a reason you forced 50 Hz vs 60? I have the same processor so do you notice a bad performance hit? I saw you noted about a 9% load. Does the PS3 camera seem to be one of the better ones to use for this? I keep hearing about the PS3 camera but didnt know if it was because of cost or it really was good. I have have varied lighting around my computer so i need something pretty flexable in that respect.

I looked over the camera list at Face Track No IRbut didnt know how up to date it was.

So do any of you have any suggestions or tips?

I have the PS3 Eye as well. It seems to work very well in low light conditions. I guess price came into the picture when I bought mine...it is quite cheap for a high frame rate camera.

Some downsides are however:

a). No mounting options other than on the desk. I sit mine underneath my monitor.

b). Only two zoom settings. No adjustable zoom.

Other than that great camera for this purpose. I don't use a webcam for anything other than FacetrackNoIR, hence did not want to spend a lot of cash. I had a logitech camera before this, but by default it was very average in low light. I tried remove the UV filter but failed and killed the camera. Therefore I bought the PS3Eye and have had no regrets. V1.5 and lower run the EYe at 30Hz, but I received a beta of 1.6 and the Eye by default runs at 50Hz : )

Edited by Rough Knight

Sorry to hear that it's still not working. The latest update still includes the same faceAPI version, so I guess it was to be expected... :(

I am running an i7 cpu, been through the Waterfall fix by installing the HeadTrack Demo... and have come to the sad dead end.

But from what I have read it looks like you have used the new faceAPI in version 1.6? Does this mean version 1.6 no longer has the "Failed to initialize APIScope" error? If so I would gladly kick in nice donation to the project to be an alpha tester. :bounce3:

EDIT: I will confirm that version 1.6 is the fix for the APIScope error I was having! Thanks for your continued work and I am more than happy to have contributed to it with a donation.

Edited by whiterook
Fix confirmed

I've got a problem. The Z axis starts at about 50 points, and that makes the view not possible to control in the game, any way to fix this?

I'm using freetrack as protocol, with fake TrackIR the Z starts at 0 but the game doesnt recognize it.

EDIT: The Z axis still starts at 50 but now the view in the game works correctly, no idea what was happenin, didn't event restart the game (just the tracking engine several times).

Thanks for this tool!

Edited by Nistenf

My fellow Dutchman,

I am very glad to see this initative, I've been looking for this solution for quite a long while, because I knew headtracking without LED's would be possible. I have decided to purchase a more modern webcam, in order to give it a try (heck, my old one broke down 3 years ago). My new ordered webcam is sceduled to arrive this afternoon; lets see if I can make it work.

However, my biggest concern is that it took me 2 years to hear about this great initiative. I am sure there are many people like me who have not run into the right place, to find out there is a solution without using LED's and stuff. I think, by using the right channels it is possible to reach a lot more people.

What I would personally suggest, is taking a look on the Dutch website Tweakers.net. You've probably heard of it before, but there are a lot of guys there, who have quite some experience with computers. These people may provide usefull feedback, while they might also spread the word. Also, using forums like SimHQ can greatly attract more people to this initiative. To a certain extend, social media can also form a great and easy to use platform.

If there is anything I can do to help out on these areas, please let me know. I'd love to support this initiative with all my capabillities.

Veel succes,

ubermachtig

EDIT 1

As expected, my webcam arrived. After about half an hour of testing, I'd have to say, I'm impressed. To summarize my findings until now:

• Software is working excellent with my new webcam (Logitech C270, you can add that one to your compatibility list:))
  • Roll in ArmA 2 doesn't work by default, I'm going to fix that now
  • Default null-zone is much too large, I have adjusted it manually
  • It took me a while to figure out that both FaceTrackNoIR and the Tracker source (FaceAPI) had to be on.
  • ArmA 2: Combined Operations (Vanilla & Arrowhead combined) has the tendecy to crash back to desktop when starting. A second attempt is, however, always succesful.
  • It has shown out that to me, setting the start/stop button is extremely important because I tend to move around in my chair sometimes. First I thought the Reset button was designed for that, but in my case the start/stop key works much better for that purpose.

Considering myself capable, but not awesome with computers, I'd say the program is quite easy to understand and should prove not the slightest difficulty for the average person on this forum.

I recommend everyone that has a webcam (steal your sisters' one if you need too:)) to give this great program a try. I am sure that after I fine tuned this program, it is almost as good as TrackIr, but in my case literally 8 times cheaper. Beside that, I don't look as an entire nut with lights on my hat:cool:

Edited by ubermachtig

Hi ubermachtig,

Nice to hear that you are so enthusiastic :yay:. And thanks for your feedback!

I am aware that there are many beautiful ways to attract attention nowadays, and we are using some of them. I guess you have read our entire website?

We have also posted in several forums, like DutchFS, SimHQ, FreeFalcon, AVSIM etc. It does take a lot of time to offer support to all users, so I'm actually glad that the program spreads 'gradually' (about 150 downloads a day...). It's only a bit of a pity that less than 1 percent of all these downloaders care enough, to donate...

If you have any ideas or want to help us in any way, just send a PM?

Groeten,

Wim

I do, picked up a PS3 eye today and have it all running on W7-64,got to say it works a treat. A special thank you to V4friend and all those that helped him.

My settup is still a little drunken, and I've yet to learn what the settings do but I've got it damn near playable based on j-frosts setup

I've got also a PS3 Eye with the CL-Eye-Driver-4.0.2.1017 driver and Win 7 x64. But I always get the errormessage "failed to register camera category: Unspecified error" when I start FreeTrackNOIR 1.5. It's also not possible for me to start the FaceAPI Demo. Every time I start the Demo I receive the errormessage "Failed to read friendly name: ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND".

I tried it with the MSI StarCam, but I got the same result. Even without a camera it appears the same errormessage. In the 'Windows Safe Mode' it happens too.

I think it has nothing to do with the camera or the CL-Driver.

Any ideas what to do?

Edited by Sensenmann

Hello (lucky) ArmA users,

As many of you may know, (free) head-tracking support in ArmA did not come easily. After the ArmA users held a petition and 500+ votes were gathered, Bohemia decided to implement FreeTrack support.

Your fellow DCS-users (you know, of Blackshark and others) are not so lucky: the ED-developers say they cannot implement alternative head-tracker support, because NaturalPoint 'forbids'.

Yesterday James Ireland started a petition to convince ED that many users like free head-tracking.

My question is simple: could you please help and sign the petition too? It costs you nothing but a few minutes and no e-mail addresses are exposed (unless you want to).

The more developers support alternatives, the more will follow!

Thanks in advance :bounce3:

Of course, signed.

I urge everyone to do the same. Even if you don't actively use a HTD, it is essential for free initiatives to remain afloat while big companies are trying to push them out of the way (Windows>Linux; Paid browsers (yes, the existed)>Free browsers; OpenSource>Payware).

It is only in our benefit to make a voice. Free initiatives will lead to innovation.

I've got also a PS3 Eye with the CL-Eye-Driver-4.0.2.1017 driver and Win 7 x64. But I always get the errormessage "failed to register camera category: Unspecified error" when I start FreeTrackNOIR 1.5. It's also not possible for me to start the FaceAPI Demo. Every time I start the Demo I receive the errormessage "Failed to read friendly name: ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND".

I tried it with the MSI StarCam, but I got the same result. Even without a camera it appears the same errormessage. In the 'Windows Safe Mode' it happens too.

I think it has nothing to do with the camera or the CL-Driver.

Any ideas what to do?

@Sensenmann,

Until yesterday I had no idea how to solve this, but a user has reported fixing this on his PC. This man solved the problem by removing a codec-pack (from shark007.net) from his PC. It's strange, but I also recall a similar problem with Nero codecs, when experimenting with OpenCV.

So maybe you can check your PC for installed codecs and try removing them? I'd like to hear the outcome...

@Signers: thanks for signing.

@AllOthers: please sign the petition. It's for a better future in head-tracking!

Edited by V4Friend

Until yesterday I had no idea how to solve this, but a user has reported fixing this on his PC. This man solved the problem by removing a codec-pack (from shark007.net) from his PC. It's strange, but I also recall a similar problem with Nero codecs, when experimenting with OpenCV.

So maybe you can check your PC for installed codecs and try removing them? I'd like to hear the outcome...

Thanks for your answer!

I deinstalled this codecpack some time ago, so this couldn't be the fault.

When I start FaceTrackNoIR with WinDbg (MS debugging tool), the error appears after loading msvfw32.dll. But this file isn't missing. What is the next file faceAPI is loading after msvfw32.dll?

Maybe somebody can post the debug-logfile of a running faceAPI?