Sign in to follow this  
MirindoR

which drivers?

i've been having arma 2 freezing my pc while using the editor (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=99420), it has been suggested i install new drivers.

i have eah 5770 pcie x2 in crossfire, how do i see what drivers are installed and which drivers should i install?

i have no experience in this sector and i don't wanna screw up my 1 week old machine.

thanks in advance

Try the official 10.4-packet or one of the 10.4 preview-driver-packets (some drivers have newer versions than the official one). In your CCC you can check which driver-version you have atm.

Since 2 days the new official 10.5 is out, but there are a lot of people who have problems with higher clocks in idle-mode (2D-mode), if they OCed their cards. -A fix for it is given, but in general no important improvements comes with the newest one, especially if you only have one monitor.

For more information about new ATI-drivers you can check: Guru3d/ATI Drivers Section for example.

For me the 10.4a preview-driver is the one I´m using since 1 month without problems and good performance. But you have to check for yourself which one is the best (crossfire, other card-series, etc.).

Edited by WillaCHilla

the driver version for my video cards is 8.670.0.0; when i press on update it says the drivers are updated already

Just checked your problem in the other thread with the freezes in the editor.

Do you have a second monitor?

-If its possible-check your clocks (should be 2d-clocks) when you are in the editor.-Perhaps they are too low and causes the black-striped-screens. -Read about it a lot in the past, where people have the same problems in other games, too.

WC: I was thinking of installing the 10.5 Cats this weekend. ARe you suggesting I should hold? install the 10.4s instead. IIRC my 4890 is still running 9.12

Mh-can´t suggest you a exact version which you should choose.-Every driver from the newer ones has some different performance-rates for the 4000- and 5000-series especially if you look @ some other games (like bc2).

IMO, you should test some newer ones.-But if you don´t have any problems now-you have a good backup with the 9.12 ;).

My mate is running a 4870 + the 10.4a without problems.-Perhaps this can help you a bit.

Just checked your problem in the other thread with the freezes in the editor.

Do you have a second monitor?

-If its possible-check your clocks (should be 2d-clocks) when you are in the editor.-Perhaps they are too low and causes the black-striped-screens. -Read about it a lot in the past, where people have the same problems in other games, too.

i dunno what that is nor how it's done :/

i'm surprised its doing this on a machine that's twice as powerful than the one i used to play on, and that never had any such problems.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit

here i found 10.5.

theres like a crossfire option, i have 2 videocards in crossfire so should i downolad that?

and how can i revert if it screws the pc up?

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

the striped screen happened again while playing seal team 6 4 in namalsk with everything maxed out (even view distance) and terrain on minimum;

was having ok fps, no stutter, nothing.

then i opened the map -5seconds- and stripes.

is this what you meant by 2d clock?

please help its making the game unenjoyable.

will dling new drivers solve anything?

Edited by MirindoR

You can read out your 2d-clocks with your CCC (or MSI Afterburner f.e.) under the section "ATI Overdrive" where you get your temps, etc. .

-You will see that your card has other clock-values if youre on map or in the editor than playing "ingame".

Perhaps these are to low (often a problem if youre using a 2nd monitor and OC the card, thats because I asked).

Perhaps you should try the 10.5, cause these increase your 2d-clocks in general, if your card is OCed, for example.-This should fix exact the problem you described, but AFAIK only if you have two monitors and your card is running higher clocks generally.

You can try the install, if you have problems, revert to the one youre using now. Drivers are only "software"-so if youre uninstall it with Drivercleaner/CCcleaner, there should be no problems.

Other option would be, that you set/increase the 2D-clock-values manually with MSI Afterburner, for example.-Could be a help, too.-Enough tutorials for this are @ google ;).

But first-try the 10.5 and check, if the problem can be fixed.

WC: I was thinking of installing the 10.5 Cats this weekend. ARe you suggesting I should hold? install the 10.4s instead. IIRC my 4890 is still running 9.12

10.5 made my performance decrease, so I went back to 10.4

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1637449&postcount=944

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1637474&postcount=945

i don't use 2 monitors and i don't know what ccc is. i'm a total PC n00b (this is my first PC that's actually mine and only mine) and i've never taken care of hardware.

how do i see if my cards are Overclocked?

i dunno what ccc (nor afterburner) is but if you tell me i'll go check the clock values.

in the meantime i'll download catalyst 10.5 suite and see what that does.

thanks for all the feedback, i really appreciate it.

i'm sure i'll manage to fix this with your help

@Dwarden, thx for info ...

but unfortunately I cannot find XP in the supported OS's:

ATI says: "ATI Catalyst 10.5a Hotfix for Windows 7 / Windows Vista 32-bit / 64-bit Edition" (reference: link of http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1638097&postcount=10)

the only hotfix that is for XP, too, is the AGP one (I'm running PCI-Card)

10.4a newer than 10.5, strange politics practiced by ATI imo

EDIT: found 10.6beta /XP32 (again thx Dwarden for Info), downloading and testing

... to be continued ...

Edited by langgis08
testing 10.6beta

downloaded catalyst control center and now when im in game PC makes a crackling sound wtf

wtf

yes, I agree with you totally ;)

atm the new ATI drivers are poison for ArmA2

tested today 10.5 & 10.6beta - both of them less of quality and performance than 10.4

my tests fit into this simple formula:

"10.4(final) > 10.5(without hotfix) > 10.6beta"

in words:

BIS makes 2 steps forward with every new beta and ATI pushes these gains 3 steps behind.

btw: I don't use CCC because of various reasons (RAM usage, interface, features). Instead I use Ati Tray Tools:

http://cid-a50350ea7a969f0c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/attsetup.exe?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=868222838

Edited by langgis08
ATT

strange when i used 10.6 betas they were faster than any 10.4 or 10.5 driver

same apply for 10.6 rc3 betas (2nd 10.6 beta), note: they leaked only for wXP platform

yes, very strange

Dwarden, do you think that using ATT instead of CCC may influence performance in a bad way ? All I know about ATT is that it is at least equivalent to CCC concerning getting the best out of the ATI-Cards, if not even better (same settings each, of course).

hmm, I think I'll wait until 10.6 final and will test then again, until then I'll let 10.4 do the job

i didin't notice anyh performance change after installing ccc, though i have to say i do not check fps rates or anything, it's just by my personal impressions while playing the game.

since i installed ccc i didn't get any more of those striped screens, but while playing arma 2 there is a distinct crackling noise coming from the PC.

if i alt+tab, the crackling stops immediately, to start again as soon as i re-enter the game.

does this mean my hardware could get damaged?

while playing arma 2 there is a distinct crackling noise coming from the PC

so the sound comes out of your pc tower or out of your loudspeakers/headphones ? hmmm, never heard of crashing hardware caused by using ccc or att - do you overclock ?

ArmA2 is intense reading from harddrive, perhaps this is the noise you hear ?

are you playing vanilla / beta / mods ?

don't get me wrong, but I think in your case one has to ask any questions, even if they may sound weird ;)

same apply for 10.6 rc3 betas (2nd 10.6 beta), note: they leaked only for wXP platform

I just checked the 10.6beta version I had installed today (before uninstalling and installing 10.4 again) - it was the second one:

"ati_catalyst_10.6beta2-xp(www.station-drivers.com).exe"

Edited by langgis08

out of myh tower.

its a crackling sound like electricity, really really disconcerting tbh.

doesnt sound like a hard drive at all, nor is it the fan, and it doesnt sound like one either.

i haven't overclocked anything, dunno if the guy who built my machine oc'd anything though.

it didnt make this sound before ccc, maybe coincidence?

i'm playing a whole bunch of addons, from ace to namalsk, hifi, warfx etc etc

edit: tried launching the game in vanilla without any addons or mods, i still get the sound

the noise never starts immediately; it takes a couple minutes of playing for it to begin. after checking on ccc i think it starts when card temp is at 70°C.

Edited by MirindoR

Langis: do you use 10.4 or 10.4a (hotfix) Catalyst?

out of myh tower.

If I was you I would consult the one who build your rig. That doesn't sound good for me and 70 degrees celsius isn't too high temperatur imo.

do you use 10.4 or 10.4a (hotfix) Catalyst?

atm I use 10.4. should I go for 10.4a ?

edit: 10.4a was the preview of 10.4, right ? so 10.4 should be newer than 10.4a. for me 10.4 gives better results than 10.5 or the leaked 10.6beta2.

which driver do you use, domokun ?

Edited by langgis08

For me ati beta 10.6 is better than 10.5 for one solid frame (tested in arma mark couple times ), and expirince is also better. I wait 10.6 beta 2 but

nothing for windows 7 for now ... :pray:

edit: 10.4a was the preview of 10.4, right ? so 10.4 should be newer than 10.4a.

10.4a has a newer driver-version than 10.4 WHQL. more info

out of myh tower.

doesnt sound like a hard drive at all, nor is it the fan, and it doesnt sound like one either.

Be sure you cleaned up all parts of your old-gpu-driver before you install the newer one. Normally it doesn´t have to be a problem if you install it over the top of the older one, but if you have problems-it's worth a try.

Here is a tutorial from rage3d.com, how you can go for a fresh and clean install of a new driver:

Steps that myself and the Caveman follow: ( You will need Driver Sweeper and CCLEANER )

Uninstall display drivers, and ATI HDMI Audio Driver + delete software option from Device Manager

Uninstall all application profiles for the Programs/Features located under control pannel ( Vista/7 )

Uninstall ATI Software Manager and or any other drivers

Restar and boot into safe mode, let it redetect the Standard VGA.

Run driver sweeper cleaning any ATI options DO NOT RESTART

Run CCLEANER and clean the registry ( You can clean all registry entries or just the ATI ones

Boot in to normal Windows and Install the new driver followed by the latest Profiles.

Edited by WillaCHilla

i havent installed any drivers, i just installed ccc and that fixed the original editor freezing problem.

the pc now makes the weird noise while im in game but i havent had a single crash