Sign in to follow this  
paulpjholcomb

Is there a way not to Play as the Fireteam Leader?

The commands system in ArmA II is painfully confusing, so for a while I would like to play as just a fireteam member instead of the leader. Is this possible? :confused:

Yes it is, of course depending on mission. You can go to editor and make mission where you are just part of of a squad, and squadleader is telling you what to do. :)

Ohhh. I see. Thanks, guys!

And Whoatherefatty, are you by any chance from the Dragon Rising forums?

Noooo!

Don't mention the forbidden name on this forum!!

Ohhh. I see. Thanks, guys!

And Whoatherefatty, are you by any chance from the Dragon Rising forums?

*looks over shoulder nervously*

Um yes. That's me.

*placebo zeros his M107 on whotherfatty*

*looks over shoulder nervously*

Um yes. That's me.

The lynch mob is sharpening its pitch forks as we speak... ;)

Paul, if you want to learn more about the command system, I would recommend the BI team command videos for a start. :)

The lynch mob is sharpening its pitch forks as we speak... ;)

Paul, if you want to learn more about the command system, I would recommend the BI team command videos for a start. :)

Thank you, all!

I watched those videos. You guys are probably the best community I've ever been a part of. :icon_dj:

These videos are great. But you might also consider using voice control software, so that you can order your troops around just like you would human players. On these forums you could start with the thread about "Pilfius" and go on from there.

Be careful, if you switch out of an AI leader he will usually end up just standing there doing nothing.

Be careful, if you switch out of an AI leader he will usually end up just standing there doing nothing.

Ah, that sucks.

And how well do the verbal orders work?

In my experience, the AI leader ends up killing most of the squad (not him, he gets them killed) in a firefight.

So basically I can't play with someone giving me orders? I have to give the orders or we will fail?

So basically I can't play with someone giving me orders? I have to give the orders or we will fail?

No, it depends on the mission. For example you could place a group in the editor, set yourself as a group member (leaving the leader as AI), and then set a waypoint for the group (say, Search and Destroy, with movement speed, behaviour, etc. set to whatever you like in the waypoint options) on a location with enemy AI. Then the AI leader will give orders to you and the rest of the group and will go fight the enemies there. It's fairly detailed too, like he'll tell you to target specific enemies and the like.

So yes, it's perfectly possible to let the AI command you, the mission just need to be set up to allow for it.

No, it depends on the mission. For example you could place a group in the editor, set yourself as a group member (leaving the leader as AI), and then set a waypoint for the group (say, Search and Destroy, with movement speed, behaviour, etc. set to whatever you like in the waypoint options) on a location with enemy AI. Then the AI leader will give orders to you and the rest of the group and will go fight the enemies there. It's fairly detailed too, like he'll tell you to target specific enemies and the like.

So yes, it's perfectly possible to let the AI command you, the mission just need to be set up to allow for it.

Okay, I get it now. Are there any campaign missions that you play as a fireteam member?

Are there any good community made missions that you play as fireteam leader?

I don't have this game yet, but I hope to get it soon.

Thanks,

Paul

Except for the first few campaign missions, you're the fireteam leader. But, you usually have the ability to teamswitch between members.

In my experience, the AI leader ends up killing most of the squad (not him, he gets them killed) in a firefight.

I was more referring to the fact they ignore their waypoints if you teamswitch into them and then switch back out.

Except for the first few campaign missions, you're the fireteam leader. But, you usually have the ability to teamswitch between members.

Okay, thanks!